300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland DQ questions?

From what I understand, all Maryland LE hire under the same guidelines...Does anyone know any auto DQ as far as drug history goes. A friend and I were looking to apply to some local LE agency's and wanted to know. As far as history (im talking about high school stuff) over 10 years ago. Also if we both get in somewhere at the same time...would we go to training at the same time??

Originally posted by Jcentsr6
    From what I understand, all Maryland LE hire under the same guidelines...Does anyone know any auto DQ as far as drug history goes. A friend and I were looking to apply to some local LE agency's and wanted to know. As far as history (im talking about high school stuff) over 10 years ago. Also if we both get in somewhere at the same time...would we go to training at the same time??
    Each agency has their own Hiring Standards. However they do have to abide by the MPTC (Maryland Police and Training Commission). Your past drug usage will ulitmately depend on what you "experimented" with.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

From what I understand, and this is pretty constant nation-wide, "pot" is the only thing that departments will look past, if it has been longer than 3 years. I could be wrong, but it's safe to assume if you have tried acid, cocaine, etc. it will be a dq.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustin H
        From what I understand, and this is pretty constant nation-wide, "pot" is the only thing that departments will look past, if it has been longer than 3 years. I could be wrong, but it's safe to assume if you have tried acid, cocaine, etc. it will be a dq.

Great...sounds good for me but my friend may run into a slight road block. Only time will tell. Thanks for the quick answers!

Comment

What agencies are you going to apply to? I KNOW AACO will not let anything go but pot, and it has to be three years from the last time you tried it. The 3 years is the MPTC, so that's anywhere in MD you apply. My best advice to you is START YESTERDAY. The proccess is very looooong and the next academy will be in 6 months for AA, so you're in good shape. Start running, training etc.

Comment

This is not always the fact and as I stated, each Agency in Maryland has their own standards/Disqualifiers as well the guidelines set by MPTC. If you smoked pot from ages 16-21 everyday and you are now 24, most likely you would run into a problem. You can say you stopped smoking pot exactly 3 years ago, but all that will be determined by that specific agency, as well as any other issues in your Background.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Im 28 now. My friend is 27 but has done more than pot.

Comment

I spoke with someone yesterday who wanted to get started with a career in LE.

They asked me if a one time use of LSD is an auto DQ. I told them I belive it is. I went home and googled the MPTC guidlines but could not find any.

From what I have read here/gathered a single time LSD usage anytime in ones life is an auto DQ for any department in MD correct?

Comment

Here is a link to the MPTC guidelines...

http://mdle.net/regulations.htm

Comment

The only reason I agree with the auto dq because of "hard drugs" is this; I know NOBODY is perfect, I certainly am not. BUT... I don't know how fair it would be to be arrested by someone that had done cocaine, lsd etc. in their past. I know everyone experiments with stuff, and we all make mistakes. But I think EVERYONE knows there is a BIG difference between alchohol/pot and cocaine and other hard drugs. My take is if you didn't know there was a difference, or you just didn't care, I don't think it's fair to be given the authority to arrest others for the same mistakes. Not that you are a horrible person, I just think it's like making someone an IRS agent that has commited tax fraud, it's just not right.

Comment

The only reason I agree with the auto dq because of "hard drugs" is this; I know NOBODY is perfect, I certainly am not. BUT... I don't know how fair it would be to be arrested by someone that had done cocaine, lsd etc. in their past. I know everyone experiments with stuff, and we all make mistakes. But I think EVERYONE knows there is a BIG difference between alchohol/pot and cocaine and other hard drugs. My take is if you didn't know there was a difference, or you just didn't care, I don't think it's fair to be given the authority to arrest others for the same mistakes. Not that you are a horrible person, I just think it's like making someone an IRS agent that has commited tax fraud, it's just not right.

I will respectively disagree with you on this topic. I do agree with some drugs( LSD,Shrooms,etc...)

I will also say that someone who did cocaine 19 years ago as a juvenile one time should be given a chance. Compare that with ones who have done weed numerous times in their 20's and apply and get hired. That shows an incredible amount of bad judgement as well.

Personally I think everyone's situation should be looked at as whole.

Just my opinion anyway and this is coming from someone that was in that position.
                      Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by Chiller
                        I will respectively disagree with you on this topic. I do agree with some drugs( LSD,Shrooms,etc...)

I will also say that someone who did cocaine 19 years ago as a juvenile one time should be given a chance. Compare that with ones who have done weed numerous times in their 20's and apply and get hired. That shows an incredible amount of bad judgement as well.

Personally I think everyone's situation should be looked at as whole.

Just my opinion anyway and this is coming from someone that was in that position.
                        Exactly. Should someone who received a Citation for running a Stop Sign not become a LEO?

Some things you can or the Agency can look past, others no. If you robbed a bank, served some time, then no, you should not become a LEO, but stole a pack of gum at age 10...

Comment

Running a stop sign, stealing gum when you were 10, that's a little different than putting something into your body that may/may not kill you. I think if you don't have the will power, or commen sense to stay away from potentially deadly foreign substances then you might lack better judgement later on in life. I AM NOT JUDGING anyone, I can honestly admit I was just too much of a sissy to do any drugs, something about them scared me. Hey, lets eat this mushroom that we don't know exactly what it will do to us. It might even kill us, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Comment

Dustin....just an FYI for you

Weed is a substance that can kill you also chief in case you didn't know. Underage drinking can kill you.
                            Stealing someones stuff can get you killed.

Where does it end really. EACH SITUATION needs to be looked at as a whole per individual

I know you are not judging anyone but when you get my age(36),you will see what I am talking about. You will be a completely different person.

Your opinion is welcome but you are a tad off base in my opinion by your thinking but that's ok
                            Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Running a stop sign, stealing gum when you were 10, that's a little different than putting something into your body that may/may not kill you. I think if you don't have the will power, or commen sense to stay away from potentially deadly foreign substances then you might lack better judgement later on in life. I AM NOT JUDGING anyone, I can honestly admit I was just too much of a sissy to do any drugs, something about them scared me. Hey, lets eat this mushroom that we don't know exactly what it will do to us. It might even kill us, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
                              You are not seeing my point and others.You are basing your opinion on certain laws, etc that people have broken and then become Police Officers who enforce laws.

Go out today, tomorrow, this week and write down everything you do while driving that is illegal. Signaling to turn, improper lane change, actually stopping at the White line at the Stop sign...and so on.

People have broken laws from time to time. I admit I sometimes forget to signal, so should I not be a LEO?

As stated before, each applicant is looked at differently. Some have broken some type of law...even a Priest is not that honest, but that is what Confession is for.

I am not saying you are not entitle to your own opinion, but you not being a LEO yet and having such a harsh judegment towards certain crimes, well I will leave that up to you to decide what to do once you get into LE. Best of luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5452 users online. 303 members and 5149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X