300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oliverj320 View Post
    Also, what is the cap for overtime per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As others said, it's 35 hours. However, I work with officers who are going over that limit easily. I can only speak for my district, but the source of overtime is we are hemorrhaging manpower. In the short time I've been there, I know at least a handful that are moving on or will be within the year. That problem has gotten so out of control that one of my coworkers, who graduated two classes before me, is considered one of the senior officers for that squad.

Drafting is a common reality and not all shifts are created equal. Some shifts are well-staffed, others are a skeleton crew. If you want the overtime, the money is there and it'll be there whether you volunteered to take it or not. Even if your district is pretty well off, the opportunity to put in your off days at the districts that aren't is definitely there.
    Last edited by Seraphym; 02-01-2016, 06:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seraphym View Post
      As others said, it's 35 hours. However, I work with officers who are going over that limit easily. I can only speak for my district, but we are hemorrhaging manpower. In the short time I've been there, I know at least a handful that are moving on or will be within the year. That problem has gotten so out of control that one of my coworkers, who graduated two classes before me, is considered one of the senior officers for that squad.

Drafting is a common reality and not all shifts are created equal. Some shifts are well-staffed, others are a skeleton crew. If you want the overtime, the money is there and it'll be there whether you volunteered to take it or not. Even if your district is pretty well off, the opportunity to put in your off days at the districts that aren't is definitely there.
      Thank you for that information. But why is it so bad that people are leaving I'm trying to understand that. Is the problem internal or external(community not respecting officers). Baltimore said they needed officers meanwhile they are only hiring less than 20?.

Comment

Thank you for that information. But why is it so bad that people are leaving I'm trying to understand that. Is the problem internal or external(community not respecting officers). Baltimore said they needed officers meanwhile they are only hiring less than 20?.

That's what I am trying to figure out how do you need so many people but only putting 20 people in a class.. I'm confused I passed the agility test on dec 5 and I haven't heard anything back yet, haven't even be assigned a background investigator yet. They told us 6 to 8 weeks we should hear something but I'm going into my 9th week.

Comment

• My investigator told me he has barely been in the office. the higher ups signed off of my packet/background so I don't know I'm just waiting for the medical and psych exam I did the poly dec 15 and finally spoke to my investigator the second week of January. I'm on the verge of whoever calls first

Comment

It varies. For some officers, it's due to their belief that there is a wall between your "boots on the ground" officers and the command staff. I don't have nearly enough time on my own to formulate an opinion on that, and you probably shouldn't. For others, the equipment at other departments is more alluring. Again, I cannot really comment on that as the only experience I really have is with BPD.

Some of that turnover is natural, such as officers not really understanding what they signed up for until you get out there to see it for yourself. A day or two of ride alongs doesn't really do the job justice. I've already been in a few situations in my very short time out there where merely being lucky is the only reason I didn't end up in the hospital or worse. I cannot think of any coworkers who haven't been in those same positions. It gets real out here almost the moment you get out onto the streets for the first time and some just don't like doing that day in and out, which is perfectly respectable. They tried it and found out it wasn't for them. Happens in just about every other job too.

Another natural source of it is that many of the trainees are coming from out of state with no ties of any kind to either Maryland, Baltimore, or the mid-Atlantic. They came because they got hired and once they've put in a couple of years, they fully intend to go back to whatever region they happened to come from. That also happens all of the time. If you don't develop some sort of ties to the area, or have any to begin with, my understanding is that it can get pretty miserable if you are pretty attached to where you came from. Again, perfectly respectable.

I'll also say that some of it is based on the existing turnover to begin with. As people leave, the districts have to take measures to assure that posts are manned. If the numbers just aren't there, they have to take unpopular measures. Those with the highest sequence numbers get drafted, lose leave, etc. Morale starts to drop as a result for the younger ones. You are talking about people who already don't have a lot invested in the department because of how little time they have on and their ability to just go somewhere else. Most of those leaving aren't people with 5+years on, after all. I'm of the opinion that right there is a big part of it.

External forces is something I cannot really gauge for you. I deal with people who hate me because of the badge, but I also have at least one person stop my car to say thanks every day. During that snow storm we had two weeks ago, we even had people offering us soup and drinks while we helped to clear out the streets. It probably depends on your district but so far, my experience has been plenty will hate you and plenty will love you. I don't know that this is playing a huge role where I am at

Keep in mind that I'm not even off of probation status yet, thus I may not be the best person to hear from, but this department is really what you make of it. The turnover is rough. The reality of what you are actually doing can be rough, but there are also positives. My direct supervisors are great, I love the people I work with, and there are plenty of opportunities to try many different things. Give it a shot and judge for yourself, but also be realistic about the fact that every officer that responds to this thread mentions the same things.
            Last edited by Seraphym; 02-01-2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

That problem has gotten so out of control that one of my coworkers, who graduated two classes before me, is considered one of the senior officers for that squad
              I'll give you one better. All of my squad minus one is from classes 14-02 or 14-03. (Including myself)

I'm 5th in the vacation book in the leave group and the guy that's 4th, my classmate, managed to get off New Years Eve and Day in the book.

Comment

• Originally posted by jm89 View Post
                I'll give you one better. All of my squad minus one is from classes 14-02 or 14-03. (Including myself)

I'm 5th in the vacation book in the leave group and the guy that's 4th, my classmate, managed to get off New Years Eve and Day in the book.
                It's almost the same thing where I am. One of those from 14-02 was number 3 for the vacation book in his leave group.

Comment

It varies. For some officers, it's due to their belief that there is a wall between your "boots on the ground" officers and the command staff. I don't have nearly enough time on my own to formulate an opinion on that, and you probably shouldn't. For others, the equipment at other departments is more alluring. Again, I cannot really comment on that as the only experience I really have is with BPD.

Some of that turnover is natural, such as officers not really understanding what they signed up for until you get out there to see it for yourself. A day or two of ride alongs doesn't really do the job justice. I've already been in a few situations in my very short time out there where merely being lucky is the only reason I didn't end up in the hospital or worse. I cannot think of any coworkers who haven't been in those same positions. It gets real out here almost the moment you get out onto the streets for the first time and some just don't like doing that day in and out, which is perfectly respectable. They tried it and found out it wasn't for them. Happens in just about every other job too.

Another natural source of it is that many of the trainees are coming from out of state with no ties of any kind to either Maryland, Baltimore, or the mid-Atlantic. They came because they got hired and once they've put in a couple of years, they fully intend to go back to whatever region they happened to come from. That also happens all of the time. If you don't develop some sort of ties to the area, or have any to begin with, my understanding is that it can get pretty miserable if you are pretty attached to where you came from. Again, perfectly respectable.

I'll also say that some of it is based on the existing turnover to begin with. As people leave, the districts have to take measures to assure that posts are manned. If the numbers just aren't there, they have to take unpopular measures. Those with the highest sequence numbers get drafted, lose leave, etc. Morale starts to drop as a result for the younger ones. You are talking about people who already don't have a lot invested in the department because of how little time they have on and their ability to just go somewhere else. Most of those leaving aren't people with 5+years on, after all. I'm of the opinion that right there is a big part of it.

External forces is something I cannot really gauge for you. I deal with people who hate me because of the badge, but I also have at least one person stop my car to say thanks every day. During that snow storm we had two weeks ago, we even had people offering us soup and drinks while we helped to clear out the streets. It probably depends on your district but so far, my experience has been plenty will hate you and plenty will love you. I don't know that this is playing a huge role where I am at

Keep in mind that I'm not even off of probation status yet, thus I may not be the best person to hear from, but this department is really what you make of it. The turnover is rough. The reality of what you are actually doing can be rough, but there are also positives. My direct supervisors are great, I love the people I work with, and there are plenty of opportunities to try many different things. Give it a shot and judge for yourself, but also be realistic about the fact that every officer that responds to this thread mentions the same things.
                  Definitely needed that information. I'm ready for Baltimore yet I have no ties only the fact that I love the Ravens and I know Baltimore is not like nyc but the times I have gone down there it was like a breath of fresh air for me more relaxed even though I was in the downtown area. I just hope to get the call and how do you get a number on which time you can get time off I see you only get 12days off which is that much for vacation.

Comment

Definitely needed that information. I'm ready for Baltimore yet I have no ties only the fact that I love the Ravens and I know Baltimore is not like nyc but the times I have gone down there it was like a breath of fresh air for me more relaxed even though I was in the downtown area. I just hope to get the call and how do you get a number on which time you can get time off I see you only get 12days off which is that much for vacation.

The 12 days thing is archaic and, if I'm not mistaken, based off of 8 hour shifts. We don't work 8 hour shifts anymore. It's actually 9 vacation days. You also get 13-14 holidays depending on whether or not it's an election year. Those days are in addition to your 9 vacation days, the only difference being that A). you cannot put them in your vacation legacy and B). they can only be used 60 days before/after the actual holiday. If you go over 60 days before or after, sorry about your luck, unless you have slips that have been repeatedly denied.

All in all, it's more like 22/23 days you can take off in a year. That amount goes up a bit depending on how much time you have on. In theory, it's not a bad amount of time. We have a 4 on, 3 off schedule so with 9 vacation days, you could take two blocks of 4 day periods that effectively mean you'd have two entire weeks off. The catch is actually getting that approved.
                    Last edited by Seraphym; 02-01-2016, 07:20 PM.

Comment

The 12 days thing is archaic and, if I'm not mistaken, based off of 8 hour shifts. We don't work 8 hour shifts anymore. It's actually 9 vacation days. You also get 13-14 holidays depending on whether or not it's an election year. Those days are in addition to your 9 vacation days, the only difference being that A). you cannot put them in your vacation legacy and B). they can only be used 60 days before/after the actual holiday. If you go over 60 days before or after, sorry about your luck, unless you have slips that have been repeatedly denied.

All in all, it's more like 22/23 days you can take off in a year. That amount goes up a bit depending on how much time you have on. In theory, it's not a bad amount of time. We have a 4 on, 3 off schedule so with 9 vacation days, you could take two blocks of 4 day periods that effectively mean you'd have two entire weeks off. The catch is actually getting that approved.
                      Oh okay I guess once I get on if I ever get the call I will understand more. Holiday=vacation I'm assuming but I'm sure as a rookie you will work actual holidays like thanksgiving Christmas New Years etc

Comment

And it's 10 hour shifts? I prefer to work overnight but I was told that is hard to get

Comment

And it's 10 hour shifts? I prefer to work overnight but I was told that is hard to get

Yes. 10 hour shifts, 4 days on and then 3 days off. Who knows how long it'll last though. My understanding is the assumption when it was agreed upon a couple of years ago was that we'd have way more manpower than we do. It doesn't look sustainable on my end, but I like having 3 days off a lot more than 2.

Depends on the district. In mine, nobody wants overnights, so all but one guy in my class ended up on overnights. It's going to come down to where you go and shift requirements.

Comment

Yes. 10 hour shifts, 4 days on and then 3 days off. Who knows how long it'll last though. My understanding is the assumption when it was agreed upon a couple of years ago was that we'd have way more manpower than we do. It doesn't look sustainable on my end, but I like having 3 days off a lot more than 2.

Depends on the district. In mine, nobody wants overnights, so all but one guy in my class ended up on overnights. It's going to come down to where you go and shift requirements.
                            Oh okay so I'm assuming you will get placed where ever they tell you. I have watched the wire lol but is the western district the toughest. My ultimate goal is to be a homicide detective. But I hope overnight is where they will place me anywhere they need me.

Comment

Oh okay so I'm assuming you will get placed where ever they tell you. I have watched the wire lol but is the western district the toughest. My ultimate goal is to be a homicide detective. But I hope overnight is where they will place me anywhere they need me.

Turn on your PMs.

Comment

Last edited by triniboy05; 06-26-2018, 12:01 PM.
                                God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16476 users online. 522 members and 15954 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X