Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltimore City Police Department Q&A

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For BPD: I started the process in JUL2015. I have had a few setbacks with paperwork and I am only waiting for a final approval.

    Comment


    • I appreciate it. I was meaning to type 2016. Thanks for the reply.

      Comment


      • did you ever find out when the next class would be?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by york74 View Post
          For BPD: I started the process in JUL2015. I have had a few setbacks with paperwork and I am only waiting for a final approval.
          Was the process well organized? Were you able to combine steps into one trip? Thanks for the information.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by astanko16 View Post
            Thinking out applying, out if state candidate. Can anybody post a timeline of entire process from start to finish?? Thanks.
            I did the expedited processing last month and have completed everything except my psych and medical. Pretty sure my background is done and I am just waiting to hear about the final two steps.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jvegas View Post
              don't listen to all of the hype. the job is still fun and fairly rewarding.
              One problem with this job, among the many, is that you no longer have any margin for error. A young adult coming on to this job with no prior police experience is putting himself in real danger and I'm not just talking about the physical kind. It used to be that you could learn by doing and if you made an honest mistake or even several honest mistakes you would be okay. That simply isn't the case anymore. Almost everything we do is videotaped and a large segment of the public, as well as most of our elected officials, want to hurt us in any way possible.

              A trainee coming on this job today is forced to deal not only with the public and the city government trying to fire or jail him but also with a Department that doesn't offer anything even close to proper training. That's the ugly reality that these trials are exposing for all the world to see. This department does not train its Officers properly in any aspect of policing. Everything is improvised and half-assed. We certainly have enough subject matter experts to train Officers the right way but we still aren't doing it. MPCTC was threatening to decertify one of our academy classes about a year ago because the trainees were not being paired with actual FTOs during Field Training. The department's response was to mandate that trainees be paired with a certified FTO. Fast forward to today and the latest group of trainees is again being paired with random Officers, many of whom are completely unqualified to train anyone let alone a trainee on his first day out of the academy. Roll call training is all but non existent as are uniform and equipment inspections. Damn near every week a new General Order or Policy is put out and not one, not one, is read out in roll call by the patrol supervisors or 09. We have six Officers on trial fighting for their freedom with a State's Attorney whose main argument is that the Officers/Supervisors in question failed to obey and keep abreast of department policies and yet Supervisors still aren't doing their jobs. This Department just will not stop messing up. I could go on and on but what would be the point?

              For those of you who are thinking about joining this department, listen up. If you take this job you are going to be blamed for everything that you do and everything that you fail to do. The days of the Department going to bat for you and the State's Attorney's office showing you understanding are over. If we still had Sergeants, Lieutenants and senior Officers looking out for the trainees and probationers this wouldn't be as much of an issue but we don't. In many squads the senior man has five years on the job and there are some squads where the senior man is barely off probation. Almost fifty percent of this job has less than 5 years on. What does that say about this organization?

              The other looming disaster is body cameras. Body cameras only help a Police Officer if he is doing the right thing and has been trained properly. Right now body cameras are still in the testing phase and most Officers do not have them. Once these cameras are rolled out Department wide in 2016 it's game over. It's one thing to improvise or cut corners when nobody's looking. It's another thing entirely when your actions are being recorded. A lot of Officers and Supervisors are going to get jammed up by these cameras either because they were never taught the right way to do things or because they've been doing things the wrong way for so long that they've forgotten what right looks like. Either way, you can expect to see a lot of people on this job getting disciplined or terminated over the course of the next year or two as these cameras are rolled out. Those who don't know the General Orders had better start reading them if they want to keep themselves employed and out of jail.

              If you want to come on this job make sure it's what you want. This is not a television show. You will have fun and there is excitement but departmental dysfunction is slowly but surely killing the agency. You have been warned.

              Comment


              • Hey anyone here took the agility test on December 4th

                Comment


                • It is organized. Both days of the weekend processing went quickly. Make sure you have exactly what they ask for. And make sure you have all originals and copies. I have mad e 4 trips, but they were accommodating when it came to choosing dates to go back down.

                  Comment


                  • Why so many times york74

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Dyancy87 View Post
                      Why so many times york74
                      one trip for each test

                      Comment


                      • How long is it till you get the confirmation email when signing up for the expedited process.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by RamosJacob View Post
                          How long is it till you get the confirmation email when signing up for the expedited process.
                          I'm not sure which expedited process you're talking about, looks like they're all done for this year. When I did mine it took me 1 to 2 weeks before I got a confirmation.

                          Comment


                          • I started end of July 2015 and the last thing I did was on 15 Oct when I did document collection. Any idea why you're moving so much quicker than me? Did you do the expedited processing?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Thedoughboy111 View Post
                              One problem with this job, among the many, is that you no longer have any margin for error. A young adult coming on to this job with no prior police experience is putting himself in real danger and I'm not just talking about the physical kind. It used to be that you could learn by doing and if you made an honest mistake or even several honest mistakes you would be okay. That simply isn't the case anymore. Almost everything we do is videotaped and a large segment of the public, as well as most of our elected officials, want to hurt us in any way possible.

                              A trainee coming on this job today is forced to deal not only with the public and the city government trying to fire or jail him but also with a Department that doesn't offer anything even close to proper training. That's the ugly reality that these trials are exposing for all the world to see. This department does not train its Officers properly in any aspect of policing. Everything is improvised and half-assed. We certainly have enough subject matter experts to train Officers the right way but we still aren't doing it. MPCTC was threatening to decertify one of our academy classes about a year ago because the trainees were not being paired with actual FTOs during Field Training. The department's response was to mandate that trainees be paired with a certified FTO. Fast forward to today and the latest group of trainees is again being paired with random Officers, many of whom are completely unqualified to train anyone let alone a trainee on his first day out of the academy. Roll call training is all but non existent as are uniform and equipment inspections. Damn near every week a new General Order or Policy is put out and not one, not one, is read out in roll call by the patrol supervisors or 09. We have six Officers on trial fighting for their freedom with a State's Attorney whose main argument is that the Officers/Supervisors in question failed to obey and keep abreast of department policies and yet Supervisors still aren't doing their jobs. This Department just will not stop messing up. I could go on and on but what would be the point?

                              For those of you who are thinking about joining this department, listen up. If you take this job you are going to be blamed for everything that you do and everything that you fail to do. The days of the Department going to bat for you and the State's Attorney's office showing you understanding are over. If we still had Sergeants, Lieutenants and senior Officers looking out for the trainees and probationers this wouldn't be as much of an issue but we don't. In many squads the senior man has five years on the job and there are some squads where the senior man is barely off probation. Almost fifty percent of this job has less than 5 years on. What does that say about this organization?

                              The other looming disaster is body cameras. Body cameras only help a Police Officer if he is doing the right thing and has been trained properly. Right now body cameras are still in the testing phase and most Officers do not have them. Once these cameras are rolled out Department wide in 2016 it's game over. It's one thing to improvise or cut corners when nobody's looking. It's another thing entirely when your actions are being recorded. A lot of Officers and Supervisors are going to get jammed up by these cameras either because they were never taught the right way to do things or because they've been doing things the wrong way for so long that they've forgotten what right looks like. Either way, you can expect to see a lot of people on this job getting disciplined or terminated over the course of the next year or two as these cameras are rolled out. Those who don't know the General Orders had better start reading them if they want to keep themselves employed and out of jail.

                              If you want to come on this job make sure it's what you want. This is not a television show. You will have fun and there is excitement but departmental dysfunction is slowly but surely killing the agency. You have been warned.
                              I have to say that I disagree with much of this post.

                              Comment


                              • ................
                                Last edited by triniboy05; 07-02-2018, 11:29 PM.
                                God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 4429 users online. 277 members and 4152 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X