Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've counted 7 officers on my shift alone who are processing with other departments, probably more I don't know of. Plenty of open spots for recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Phillies222 View Post
      Veritas9, I appreciate it.

Preferably I would like to be able to afford an apartment on my own, as I am very guarded about renting with someone whom I do not know. Understanding this may have to be a reality, I am cautiously open to the idea. I do not plan to begin as a pre-hire and work at HQ for the exact reason you stated (I do not know someone with a parking pass) unless, I get to HQ to sign paperwork and I am told that it is mandatory. If given the option, I would like to start on the day of the academy, due to the fact that I am a civilian with an agency, and would like to give appropriate leave notice, and have ample time to find a reputable apartment/area. Believe me, wednesday was a very good day for me, and I do not want to take advantage of this opportunity.

As I have reviewed previous pages of this forum, a concern was brought to my attention. That being, some trainees saw that their take home pay was less than anticipated and struggled financially. I want to make sure that I am living within my means, and I do not bite off more than I can chew. When I go down to HQ this week, I will have a better idea of what is expected, and what the base pay will be.

Take care.
      Word of advice; start ASAP. I know you want to be a nice guy and give your current employer the appropriate notice of your leave, but you're about to start a career. No one doubts your honor or integrity, but at some point you have to start thinking about yourself and getting in the best position to do your best in the academy. In the end it's up to you, but DO NOT start the day of the scheduled academy, give yourself at least two weeks to prepare and study.

As for the room mate situation, it's not so bad, but you can rent an apartment on your own, just check Craigslist, or walk around the neighborhoods you're interested in and look for 'For Rent' signs.

Comment

• I have learned that there has been a recent 6% increase in salary which is nice. I used the unexpected money towards an apartment. A welcomed surprise... trainee 48917/yr

Comment

• Originally posted by Phillies222 View Post
          Veritas9, I appreciate it.

Preferably I would like to be able to afford an apartment on my own, as I am very guarded about renting with someone whom I do not know. Understanding this may have to be a reality, I am cautiously open to the idea. I do not plan to begin as a pre-hire and work at HQ for the exact reason you stated (I do not know someone with a parking pass) unless, I get to HQ to sign paperwork and I am told that it is mandatory. If given the option, I would like to start on the day of the academy, due to the fact that I am a civilian with an agency, and would like to give appropriate leave notice, and have ample time to find a reputable apartment/area. Believe me, wednesday was a very good day for me, and I do not want to take advantage of this opportunity.

As I have reviewed previous pages of this forum, a concern was brought to my attention. That being, some trainees saw that their take home pay was less than anticipated and struggled financially. I want to make sure that I am living within my means, and I do not bite off more than I can chew. When I go down to HQ this week, I will have a better idea of what is expected, and what the base pay will be.

Take care.

Congrats on getting accepted into the academy. I will be one of your class mates. I am working at HQ right now as a pre-hire and I am learning a lot. I am going to have an advantage in the academy because of it. So if possible I recommend you spending a week or two at least at HQ. There is parking for $8 per day on market street as long as you park on the roof.

If you need adevice or help with anything please pm me or post.

Once again congrats.

Comment

• Excellent, I look forward to working with you.

Comment

• Can finally say I'll be attending this upcoming academy class!!! Good luck to everyone else in the process and feel free to ask any questions

Comment

• So I'm currently in 15-02 and would def. advise everyone to work at hq for a bit to get to know each other. Things to keep in mind you will be doing tons of push-ups flutter kicks and running so if your not in shape now you better start. The first week is all a psych out so don't take it to heart just have an open mind and a willingness to wake up stupidly early to get yelled at lol

Comment

• At this point would it be better to take the test on Tuesday or wait for an expedited hiring event ?

Comment

• Hey guys, I was wondering how long does it takes for the background investigator to complete the background check? I took the poly on June 9. So far, my personal references have received a letter from them. What's the next step?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stay Frosty View Post
                      At this point would it be better to take the test on Tuesday or wait for an expedited hiring event ?
                      Might not be any expedited weekends til Spring. Might as well test now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Does anyone know when the next academy class starts? I know that there's one in mid August.

Comment

• Originally posted by RJB1912 View Post
                          Congrats on getting accepted into the academy. I will be one of your class mates. I am working at HQ right now as a pre-hire and I am learning a lot. I am going to have an advantage in the academy because of it. So if possible I recommend you spending a week or two at least at HQ. There is parking for $8 per day on market street as long as you park on the roof.

If you need adevice or help with anything please pm me or post.

Once again congrats.
                          It may and it may not provide an advantage. Our pre-hires were divided between two assignments: HQ and the academy itself. A few of the pre-hires in my class were assigned to HQ before starting and they did learn quite a bit there. Unfortunately, very little of it was applicable to what was actually going on in the academy. The opinion that I was getting around the board was that they would have preferred to be assigned with the rest of us at the academy because working as a pre-hire at the academy sets you up for exactly what you are going to spend the next 6 months doing. Inspections, role-playing, etc. I'm by no means saying what you are learning at HQ is not applicable, as I was assigned to the academy and have no experience with what you guys are learning there. I'm just saying that the academy is a special sort of animal and the predominant opinion seemed to be that you were better off having a taste of that before the academy starts.

If there are others assigned to HQ, try to develop some camaraderie with these people, if you haven't already. On our way out of the academy, the instructors applauded my class for remaining close throughout the duration of the academy. These are people I've sweat and suffered with and I find myself wishing that more of them were going to the district I've been assigned to field train at. I legitimately hope nothing happens to any of us in the next 10 weeks so that we can all walk together in October. It's easy to let those 26 weeks divide you, so start setting that up with your future classmates now. You are all going to depend on one another, especially when the punishments are being dealt out to the entire group.

Comment

• Everyone working at HQ there is parking for 5$ at the harbor park garage you just have to tell them you are a trainee and they give you a card

Comment

• Originally posted by Stay Frosty View Post
                              At this point would it be better to take the test on Tuesday or wait for an expedited hiring event ?
                              I wish I had done the expedited event. I took the test on a tuesday back in December and its been 9 months now and I am still going thru the process. To put that in perspective, I know there was a few people on here that did an expedited event in March and already got the final call. But again everyone's process is different and especially with the way things are now you are probably better off starting as soon as possible because you can't be certain when the next expedited event will be. If you don't live to far I say go take the test

Comment

• Originally posted by mario1 View Post
                                Hey guys, I was wondering how long does it takes for the background investigator to complete the background check? I took the poly on June 9. So far, my personal references have received a letter from them. What's the next step?
                                There is a ton of factors that go into this, it could take 1 month could take 2 or 3 or 6. No one will know that answer for certain. I know guys on here that had theirs done in 1-2 months, but there is also people that had it take 5-6 months. Me personally, I just entered my 5th month. Only thing you can really do is just continue to wait

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5830 users online. 399 members and 5431 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X