Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltimore City Police Department Q&A

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Thedoughboy111 View Post
    Future recruitment efforts are up in the air right now. A lot of the folks in the recruitment section are being sent back to patrol in an effort to fill the slots created by the new schedule. Those I've spoken to have said that the Department has decided to scale back hiring dramatically. We'll see how that works out. Don't be surprised if there are only two classes in 2015.
    What did they change in the work schedule? Does BPD have a pension plan?

    Comment


    • ................
      Last edited by triniboy05; 07-02-2018, 08:27 PM.
      God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

      Comment


      • Happy Holidays, everyone. Stay safe.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by B0AN1CK View Post
          Happy Holidays, everyone. Stay safe.
          Are you heading back to PA?

          Comment


          • Still haven't heard how the new "no posts, just sectors" plan works. Are you just dispatched on a rotation? KGA ask for an available unit in an area?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jm89 View Post
              Still haven't heard how the new "no posts, just sectors" plan works. Are you just dispatched on a rotation?
              In theory, that's the plan. In reality, no one, and I mean no one, has any idea how the new schedule and deployment plans are going to work or even if they will work. By the time December 2016 rolls around we'll have the answer. Either the kinks will work themselves out over the first four or five months or the whole system will collapse.

              The major issues are morale and manpower, both of which are lacking here. Even with the pay raise and new schedule we are continuing to lose Officers at a steady pace. Many senior Officers who were told to report back to patrol opted to retire instead. Others are vesting out or resigning in order to lateral to other agencies or even to leave LE altogether. Without sufficient Officers to man the shifts the new system simply will not work. Our call volume is not declining. It is either steady or increasing. Many Officers are very unhappy with the changes that resulted from this contract, a contract, by the way, which has yet to be signed or finalized months after it was voted on.

              Time will tell.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Seraphym View Post
                Are you heading back to PA?
                Yes, already made the drive

                Comment


                • -----------
                  Last edited by StoneBone718; 03-29-2017, 01:05 PM.

                  Comment


                  • But but but the new paint?

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Thedoughboy111 View Post
                      In theory, that's the plan. In reality, no one, and I mean no one, has any idea how the new schedule and deployment plans are going to work or even if they will work. By the time December 2016 rolls around we'll have the answer. Either the kinks will work themselves out over the first four or five months or the whole system will collapse.

                      The major issues are morale and manpower, both of which are lacking here. Even with the pay raise and new schedule we are continuing to lose Officers at a steady pace. Many senior Officers who were told to report back to patrol opted to retire instead. Others are vesting out or resigning in order to lateral to other agencies or even to leave LE altogether. Without sufficient Officers to man the shifts the new system simply will not work. Our call volume is not declining. It is either steady or increasing. Many Officers are very unhappy with the changes that resulted from this contract, a contract, by the way, which has yet to be signed or finalized months after it was voted on.

                      Time will tell.
                      This is the sentiment I get everyday from the officers that come and go from the academy.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                        But but but the new paint?
                        I've seen one black one, and that was sitting down at headquarters. The new white ones look like mall security.

                        On the flip side, I've talked to some ops guys who are wanting to go back to patrol because of the 4 days off. Their thinking was "I can still do the same stuff I did in ops, get a lockup, and get out of answering calls." They were younger guys though.

                        Comment


                        • -----------
                          Last edited by StoneBone718; 03-29-2017, 01:06 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by StoneBone718 View Post
                            What four days off?

                            Its four on three off
                            What I meant

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by jm89 View Post
                              Their thinking was "I can still do the same stuff I did in ops, get a lockup, and get out of answering calls." They were younger guys though.
                              Well, that didn't take long. You've been on the job about five minutes and already you've been exposed to the mindset that's destroyed this agency.

                              Patrol is about backing up your partners and handling your calls. There are times when you will have no choice but to make an arrest for one vial or one pill of CDS just like there will be times that you will have no choice but to make an arrest for littering, disorderly conduct, open container etc. Your job as a patrolman, however, is to keep those incidences to an absolute minimum. Misdemeanor possession charges and quality of life offenses would be aggressively pursued in an ideal world. Unfortunately, this is not an ideal world - this is Baltimore, Maryland. We do not have room either in the city jail or in the Department of Correction for every junkie, crackhead and scofflaw we encounter. Hence the reason why triple probation and time served are considered par for the course here, assuming your case doesn't get nol prossed at the first appearance.

                              When you hear some salty two year "veteran" talk about making a one pill lock up to get out of answering calls what that Officer is really saying is "screw my side partners". By spending the next 6 to 8 hours (supposedly) packaging and processing that Officer is leaving his fellow Officers exposed. When the call comes out for an in-progress robbery, burglary, cutting, domestic assault, mental case etc you now have one less Officer on the street to back the unit that has to handle that call. I've seen Officers forced to respond to in-progress violent felonies alone because half the shift was out of service on legitimate calls (child abuse, rape, shooting etc) while the other half was humping out. Eventually somebody will get killed because of this and then the blame game will start.

                              This department is plagued by burn out cases and people who view themselves as ghetto super heroes. When you hit the streets look up their arrest history, it's hilarious. Arrest after arrest for failure to obey, one bag of weed, driving on suspended etc. Note the arrests that aren't there for the most part: crimes against persons and property with a real victim.

                              A word of advice, if you make it through the Academy be sure to spend as much time on foot as possible. Get to know the people on your post. Not just the criminals but also the retirees and the working people. Most of the information you get from junkies or other street criminals is self serving, incomplete, delusional or to some degree dishonest. From a legal perspective 99% of it is garbage. From a practical perspective it's about 95% garbage - information you already know or too vague to help you. Sometimes you get good information but not often. Your tax payers, on the other hand, know more than you think. Equally important, they usually don't have a reason to be dishonest and their minds aren't clouded by insanity or various chemicals. You'll be amazed just how much good intelligence you'll get from business owners and home owners if you take the time to get to know them and actually provide them with decent service when they call versus coding everything out. Learning their names is big. It shows that you actually care. If you're a good Officer and you build that relationship you'll have people tell you things they won't tell any other Officer or Detective. That's how serious crimes like homicide get solved.

                              Anyway, I'm going to get off my soapbox now. Happy holidays.

                              Comment


                              • I've been on foot for about 12 weeks (well, the last 6 in a vehicle, but still the foot initiative). Been blessed with a great Sgt to learn from (top on the Lt list). Also have OIC's now who were tops on the Sgt list and just awaiting promotion. Wealth of knowledge. Been able to learn a lot about what's a good arrest, a great one, an unnecessary one, etc. Being on foot was pretty awesome too. Like you said, just huddling in a store to get out of walking in the rain for 10 mins you would get the owner to start talking to you about this or that.

                                Thanks for all the tips

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 19036 users online. 504 members and 18532 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X