300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by a_kreft View Post
    Final Processing went well, there was only three of us which was surprising; I was expecting around 10 people. We will swear in the 29th.
    One odd thing was that the Detective that helped us with the paperwork was under the impression starting pay was 42k when it should be 46k. She didn't have an updated pay chart. She also didn't know about the change in pension plan that is occurring soon. If anyone could clear either up before the 29th, that would be awesome.
    What's changing with the pension plan?

Comment

• Originally posted by Thedoughboy111 View Post
      Last I heard, we get about 3000 applicants per year, roughly 300 get hired and about 200 make it to graduation. We screen about 10 people for every 1 that gets the call.
      What would cause someone to washout if they pass the steps? What happens to the 100 that get hired who don't make graduation? Do they fail the academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by kip42 View Post
        What would cause someone to washout if they pass the steps? What happens to the 100 that get hired who don't make graduation? Do they fail the academy?
        I would assume that if you haven't done something worth being fired for (which is a very long list while you're on probation) that you would become a recycle and put into the next available class.

After you pass all the steps, things can still pop up in your background. Keep your nose clean and don't lie. Thedoughboy111 will probably have a better answer though, as my experience with this department is minimal.

Comment

Many things can happen, anywhere from termination from the Academy to an injury or to just simply resigning. I had a classmate resign after completing more than half of the academy, he decided it just wasn't for him. If you want the job you'll make it threw the academy and complete your probationary period. The numbers you hear about fluctuate yearly and that "hiring 300 officers for 20XX" has been the magic number for years, don't feed into it. If your qualified and pass all the steps you'll get the job, this agency hasn't had a hiring freeze in forever.
          Last edited by Fire4Effect1; 12-19-2014, 10:36 PM.
          "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Comment

• Anyone know when the next academy is?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pdfd View Post
              Anyone know when the next academy is?
              I was told Jan 23rd at final processing. But that could change I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pdfd View Post
                Anyone know when the next academy is?

Comment

• Originally posted by iTiMxB View Post

It better not

Comment

• Originally posted by B0AN1CK View Post
                    It better not
                    It can't change. They have set the date for the EVOC and the range.

Comment

• Thank you guys for clarifying that for me. I also had the same question Kip42 about the pension plan, what changed or is changing?
                      Thanks in advance

Comment

Last edited by triniboy05; 07-02-2018, 08:26 PM.
                        God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

Comment

Injuries in training, failure to pass the driving or shooting courses, an inability to pass the final PT test, domestic violence, thievery, cowardice and the list goes on.

Some folks make it through the Academy and when they get to field training they realize that they don't have what it takes or that the Job isn't what they thought it would be. About 1/3 of the city is completely and irretrievably blighted, another 1/3 is in decline, and the final 1/3 is relatively stable. The conditions in some parts of the City have to be experienced to be believed.

There's also the very real possibility that you will be maimed or killed doing this job. For some trainees, the reality of going toe to toe with a convicted felon in a dark alley or a collapsing vacant is too much. Hearing about that type of experience is one thing, living it is another entirely. Baltimore City prides itself on back up being 30 seconds away and in many areas this isn't an exaggeration. On the other hand, there have been times that I've been forced to confront multiple suspects with my nearest back up ten minutes away. When you're chasing a pair of burglars through an apartment complex and you know that help isn't coming, that's when you know whether or not this job is for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by iTiMxB View Post
                            Future recruitment efforts are up in the air right now. A lot of the folks in the recruitment section are being sent back to patrol in an effort to fill the slots created by the new schedule. Those I've spoken to have said that the Department has decided to scale back hiring dramatically. We'll see how that works out. Don't be surprised if there are only two classes in 2015.

Comment

• What does the final pt test consist of? Thanks

Comment

Last edited by triniboy05; 07-02-2018, 08:27 PM.
                                God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8109 users online. 184 members and 7925 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X