• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are LEO's exempt?

Comment

• Originally posted by B0AN1CK View Post
      Are LEO's exempt?
      Once you complete the Academy and receive your MPCTC card you will be exempt from the requirement to have a Handgun Qualification Licenese (HQL) which would otherwise be needed to purchase handguns in Maryland.

Otherwise you are not exempt from any of the laws except in the performance of your official duties (i.e. using departmentally issued firearms and explosives, taking custody of weapons in the street, executing court orders etc).

If firearms are important to you, then consider remaining in PA. A lot of Officers I know live in PA and say the quality of life is great and many others I know are considering making the move. If you live right over the border your commute will be about 80 minutes each way. It's long but doable.

Comment

• Baltimore City Police Department Q&A

Does anyone from Saturday August 16,2014 physical agility class heard any good news as yet still waiting? I turn in my background pocket and did my psychology testing and now waiting.
        Last edited by Jamrock39; 11-27-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Have you taken the polygraph yet?

QuotE=Jamrock39;3554841]Does anyone from Saturday August 16,2014 physical agility class heard any good news as yet still waiting? I turin my background pocket and did my psychology testing and now waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamrock39 View Post
            Does anyone from Saturday August 16,2014 physical agility class heard any good news as yet still waiting? I turn in my background pocket and did my psychology testing and now waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I completed my PFT/psych in early July then handed in everything around the twentieth and had my poly at around the same time. Haven't heard anything. I know this might sound cliche, but we just have to be patient. I have a feeling things are going to pick up in early December, until then, happy turkey day everyone.

Comment

• Baltimore City Police Department Q&A

I haven't yet do my polygraph as yet lookinggood.
              Last edited by Jamrock39; 11-27-2014, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• What's academy pt like? How many days a week and how far do you run? Just want to make sure i'm prepared. I'm more of a lifter than a runner.

Comment

• Originally posted by kip42 View Post
                  What's academy pt like? How many days a week and how far do you run? Just want to make sure i'm prepared. I'm more of a lifter than a runner.
                  When I was in the Academy it depended on who your instructor was that day. You could run anywhere from two to five miles. There were two particular instructors who would push you harder than any of the others. The first has since moved on and the second is preparing to move on but is still there as of this writing. With either of those two instructors you might run between five and fifteen miles though not all the time.

My personal advice to you is to find an outdoor quarter mile track and run three miles as fast as you can without stopping. If you can complete the three miles in 27 minutes or less you can graduate from the BPD Academy. Try and get your pace down to 7 or 8 minutes per mile if you can. If you are running a 10+ minute mile start running three days a week and make sure to push yourself every day until you get your time down.

Comment

• How many days a week did they run?

Comment

• I've heard horror stories about a certain instructor from 2+ years ago, but he's gone. PT was minimal while I was there and never strenuous. Longest we ran was 4.5 miles and that was just once. Usually 3 miles is the most.

Workout on your own. You could go a week or 2 and not have any PT.

Comment

• Do they fail anyone for the sit and reach?

Comment

• Originally posted by jm89 View Post
                          I've heard horror stories about a certain instructor from 2+ years ago, but he's gone. PT was minimal while I was there and never strenuous. Longest we ran was 4.5 miles and that was just once. Usually 3 miles is the most.

Workout on your own. You could go a week or 2 and not have any PT.
                          I had the privilege of having PT with that instructor when I was in the academy as he was still the main PT instructor. Not going to lie, I would dread when I'd see him walk outside towards our formation and give us the look and point straight towards the street, we all knew we were going for a LONG run. The most we ran was 15 miles with the LT at the time who has now moved to SES, by far the longest I've done since I got out of the military. The academy now I guess is prepping to meet the standard of passing the test since the run is 1.5 miles for the test and avoid causing any injuries to the trainees. We had a lot of people get recycled due to PT related injuries.
                          "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Comment

• I heard that the numbers to hit at the academy were the same numbers as the original PT test given in the hiring process. And that you just need to show improvement from start to finish.

Again, its what I've heard...not speaking from experience.

Comment

• Not sure what it is now, but when I went through, the BPD used the Cooper Standard. The PT test was at 40%. Upon entering the academy, you had to exceed 60%. If you could not meet or exceed 60%, you were placed in remedial PT until you could pass the next assessment. You were also placed in remedial if your scores did not show improvement after the next assessment.

I, too, had the privilege of running with that PT instructor. He wouldn't say a word and just start running. If you couldn't keep up, too bad for you.
                              Baltimore, where the police are the perps and the perps are the victims

Comment

• Originally posted by B0AN1CK View Post
                                I heard that the numbers to hit at the academy were the same numbers as the original PT test given in the hiring process. And that you just need to show improvement from start to finish.

Again, its what I've heard...not speaking from experience.
                                It's 60% by the cooper standard. Your score is cumulative, so your strengths can help your weaknesses. You don't have to pass each one but you should.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11750 users online. 252 members and 11498 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X