300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10characters
    Last edited by boredlimodriver; 06-23-2015, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeyman23 View Post
      We don't start working when the academy starts?
      You didn't know that? The pre-hires tend to do clerical work until the academy starts. That was one of the points they really emphasized as a bonus for us when we ran through expedited processing. In theory, the lady on the phone told me you could set your hire date just before the academy, but they'd really prefer that you set it earlier.

Comment

• i would start working as soon as possible i wouldn't wait too long because if push it out tooooo far and the class fill up you will be so mad if they bump you to the next class...yes get a place to live too not too far from the academy....im happy for all you guys if you need any info feel free to ask ill try to help.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Seraphym View Post
          You didn't know that? The pre-hires tend to do clerical work until the academy starts. That was one of the points they really emphasized as a bonus for us when we ran through expedited processing. In theory, the lady on the phone told me you could set your hire date just before the academy, but they'd really prefer that you set it earlier.
          On the phone the investigator asked me when I am available to start work. And if I can immediately find residency.
          Last edited by B0AN1CK; 11-14-2014, 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by B0AN1CK View Post
            On the phone the investigator asked me when I am available to start work. And if I can immediately find residency.
            I'd have really liked to get out there on the 17th/18th, but there just wasn't enough notice for me to keep travel arrangements affordable. Money has to be saved for the move itself, along with academy necessities and the like. My wife called the green-listed apartments on that list I gave you and all of them have availability, but most of them don't have anything until closer to December 1st.

Interestingly, the lady that I spoke with emphasized giving myself enough time to hand notice into my current employer. She said the Department would prefer that I not cut them off cold turkey. I just handed in my notice today.
            Last edited by Seraphym; 11-14-2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• i do know a place 15 min rom the academy that normally have houses from town homes or apts nd give police discount

Originally posted by Seraphym View Post
              I'd have really liked to get out there on the 17th/18th, but there just wasn't enough notice for me to keep travel arrangements affordable. Money has to be saved for the move itself, along with academy necessities and the like. My wife called the green-listed apartments on that list I gave you and all of them have availability, but most of them don't have anything until closer to December 1st.

Interestingly, the lady that I spoke with emphasized giving myself enough time to hand notice into my current employer. She said the Department would prefer that I not cut them off cold turkey. I just handed in my notice today.

Comment

• I got an apartment in 4 days and had nothing but my clothes and an air mattress for 6 weeks. Just gotta make it work.

By "working" at the academy they mean you'll be sitting in the cafeteria for 8 hours a day.

Comment

• Congratulations to those who've been given an offer of employment. To make things easier, let me give you a few words of advice.

First and foremost, be selective in where you choose to live. I would not suggest moving into Baltimore City until you've been on the job awhile and actually get to know the various neighborhoods in the City. If you are a Baltimore native or are truly familiar with the city then feel free to disregard. The websites that you're looking at are virtually useless. Trust me when I tell you that they almost certainly do not accurately reflect the neighborhood or the quality of apartment/home you'll be living in. There are areas I patrol which are marketed by real estate agents as: "luxury apartments", "upscale living" and "suburban charm, urban convenience". Online they look great. In reality, drug dealers control the neighborhood and the properties are run down and substandard. There were folks in my academy class that made the mistake of moving into the wrong neighborhood. Their cars got stolen, their equipment got stolen, their homes were burglarized and they ended up witnessing shootings, robberies etc and having to lose sleep and training time participating in the investigation. Your goal needs to be making it through the Academy. The whole fighting crime aspect of policing will come into play on gun and badge day. Until then you need to live somewhere that allows you to get a decent night's sleep and where you don't have to worry about being seen in or with a police uniform. My personal advice is to look in Baltimore County, within twenty minutes or so of the City line (i.e. Pikesville, Owings Mills, Towson, White Marsh etc). Take the time to actually visit various apartment complexes and see what they look like during the day and at night. Ask to see an actual apartment not a model apartment.

Second, the Department is not as lenient as it used to be in terms of conduct. If you do anything which can result in a criminal charge and/or which causes the Department embarrassment, expect to be fired. What this means is that if you want to maintain your employment with this agency I would strongly advise you to remain sober, both on and off duty, to avoid patronizing bars and nightclubs and to avoid contact with criminals as well as well meaning, but essentially stupid people who are likely to get you jammed up. If you want to drink I would advise you to do so in your house, with the door locked either alone or in the presence of family. If you get into a bar fight, get pulled over after having a few adult beverages, become involved in a domestic, lose your ID card at the club etc you can expect to be in the unemployment line. Get to the Academy early, have all of your required equipment, be in the proper uniform, do what you're told and go directly home.

Third, do not become romantically involved with another member of this agency, at least not before graduation. Even after graduation, exercise extreme discretion. I will not elaborate any further except to say that within a year you will understand. Those who were in the military already know the score.

Good luck ladies and gentleman. Welcome.

Comment

• Nevermind.
                    Last edited by Seraphym; 11-15-2014, 08:38 AM. Reason: Irrelevant

Comment

• Those of you already employed. When does your health insurance begin after hire date?

Comment

Those of you already employed. When does your health insurance begin after hire date?
                        Your health insurance will take effect after you enroll. The steps you need to take to do this will be explained to you in detail by the folks in personnel. The whole process is done online and is fairly painless. Seeing your take home pay drop after the deductions start coming out is not so painless. Make sure that you choose your plan carefully based on your needs. Once you enroll you can't change anything until the next open enrollment period or unless you get married or have a child.

Speaking of deductions, when you get hired your pay will be about three hundred dollars higher than it will be when you leave the academy. Your health insurance, life insurance, deferred comp and FOP contributions take time to be implemented. Keep this in mind when budgeting for expenses.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thedoughboy111 View Post
                          Your health insurance will take effect after you enroll. The steps you need to take to do this will be explained to you in detail by the folks in personnel. The whole process is done online and is fairly painless. Seeing your take home pay drop after the deductions start coming out is not so painless. Make sure that you choose your plan carefully based on your needs. Once you enroll you can't change anything until the next open enrollment period or unless you get married or have a child.

Speaking of deductions, when you get hired your pay will be about three hundred dollars higher than it will be when you leave the academy. Your health insurance, life insurance, deferred comp and FOP contributions take time to be implemented. Keep this in mind when budgeting for expenses.
                          Thanks for the input. Reason I ask is when I applied to the department I ultimately ended up losing my job up here in PA. Politics are a b*tch! Lost my insurance and now my two month old is covered by my girlfriend, his mother's insurance. Moving from NE PA to the Baltimore area means her leaving her job, and no longer being insured.

Previous job you had to wait three months before insurance kicked in...wasn't sure how it works in MD.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Reason I ask is when I applied to the department I ultimately ended up losing my job up here in PA. Politics are a b*tch! Lost my insurance and now my two month old is covered by my girlfriend, his mother's insurance. Moving from NE PA to the Baltimore area means her leaving her job, and no longer being insured.

Previous job you had to wait three months before insurance kicked in...wasn't sure how it works in MD.
                            Once you enroll you should be covered in less than 90 days. If memory serves me correctly, I received my insurance cards in less than a month. Make sure to write down any questions and ask them during final processing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thedoughboy111 View Post
                              Congratulations to those who've been given an offer of employment. To make things easier, let me give you a few words of advice.

First and foremost, be selective in where you choose to live. I would not suggest moving into Baltimore City until you've been on the job awhile and actually get to know the various neighborhoods in the City. If you are a Baltimore native or are truly familiar with the city then feel free to disregard. The websites that you're looking at are virtually useless. Trust me when I tell you that they almost certainly do not accurately reflect the neighborhood or the quality of apartment/home you'll be living in. There are areas I patrol which are marketed by real estate agents as: "luxury apartments", "upscale living" and "suburban charm, urban convenience". Online they look great. In reality, drug dealers control the neighborhood and the properties are run down and substandard. There were folks in my academy class that made the mistake of moving into the wrong neighborhood. Their cars got stolen, their equipment got stolen, their homes were burglarized and they ended up witnessing shootings, robberies etc and having to lose sleep and training time participating in the investigation. Your goal needs to be making it through the Academy. The whole fighting crime aspect of policing will come into play on gun and badge day. Until then you need to live somewhere that allows you to get a decent night's sleep and where you don't have to worry about being seen in or with a police uniform. My personal advice is to look in Baltimore County, within twenty minutes or so of the City line (i.e. Pikesville, Owings Mills, Towson, White Marsh etc). Take the time to actually visit various apartment complexes and see what they look like during the day and at night. Ask to see an actual apartment not a model apartment.

Second, the Department is not as lenient as it used to be in terms of conduct. If you do anything which can result in a criminal charge and/or which causes the Department embarrassment, expect to be fired. What this means is that if you want to maintain your employment with this agency I would strongly advise you to remain sober, both on and off duty, to avoid patronizing bars and nightclubs and to avoid contact with criminals as well as well meaning, but essentially stupid people who are likely to get you jammed up. If you want to drink I would advise you to do so in your house, with the door locked either alone or in the presence of family. If you get into a bar fight, get pulled over after having a few adult beverages, become involved in a domestic, lose your ID card at the club etc you can expect to be in the unemployment line. Get to the Academy early, have all of your required equipment, be in the proper uniform, do what you're told and go directly home.

Third, do not become romantically involved with another member of this agency, at least not before graduation. Even after graduation, exercise extreme discretion. I will not elaborate any further except to say that within a year you will understand. Those who were in the military already know the score.

Good luck ladies and gentleman. Welcome.
                              Very well said, could not have said it any better myself. If anyone is interested in moving into Owings Mills, MD by all means send me a PM and I'll give you some insight. I've been here since I began the academy in 2012 and have had little to no problems at all.
                              "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Comment

• Originally posted by Fire4Effect1 View Post
                                Very well said, could not have said it any better myself. If anyone is interested in moving into Owings Mills, MD by all means send me a PM and I'll give you some insight. I've been here since I began the academy in 2012 and have had little to no problems at all.
                                i second that! if anyone wants to move to the County Windsor Mill area let me know! i talked with my leasing office on friday and yesterday telling them its a new class and they said they have apartments and town homes open.....police discount and 15 mins from the academy.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8470 users online. 215 members and 8255 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X