Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you saying that the October academy has become a January academy, or that she gave you a date for an academy in January? I'm getting a little thrown off by the "new date" part.
    Last edited by Seraphym; 10-15-2014, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seraphym View Post
      Are you saying that Oct. is now January?

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
      The suspense is killing me

Comment

Are you saying that the October academy has become a January academy, or that she gave you a date for an academy in January? I'm getting a little thrown off by the "new date" part.
        I'm sorry, I was kind of in a rush when I wrote that. When I called my BI in Baltimore, she told me the problem (why I hadn't been hearing anything) was because they weren't hiring ANYONE right now because they hadn't decided on whether or not to move the academy to a later date. The date she said that had been thrown around was some time in January.

Of course, take my word with a grain of salt, as I'm in the same position as everyone else here.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS PURE SPECULATION

But the way I understand it ;police departments, like any other agency or business have a budget that they must adhere to as they are given a finite amount of funds each year. When their budgets are exhausted, or in danger of being exhausted before the end of the fiscal year (Jan. 1st, or Dec. 31st) they hold off on incurring major expenses until the next year.

The police academy, being a pretty major expense will more than likely be held at the beginning of the fiscal year in order to adhere to a budget.

...Or not, as I could very well be wrong. But given the extended waiting period Seraphym has encountered, that's what I'd bet is happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas9 View Post
          I'm sorry, I was kind of in a rush when I wrote that. When I called my BI in Baltimore, she told me the problem (why I hadn't been hearing anything) was because they weren't hiring ANYONE right now because they hadn't decided on whether or not to move the academy to a later date. The date she said that had been thrown around was some time in January.

Of course, take my word with a grain of salt, as I'm in the same position as everyone else here.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS PURE SPECULATION

But the way I understand it ;police departments, like any other agency or business have a budget that they must adhere to as they are given a finite amount of funds each year. When their budgets are exhausted, or in danger of being exhausted before the end of the fiscal year (Jan. 1st, or Dec. 31st) they hold off on incurring major expenses until the next year.

The police academy, being a pretty major expense will more than likely be held at the beginning of the fiscal year in order to adhere to a budget.

...Or not, as I could very well be wrong. But given the extended waiting period Seraphym has encountered, that's what I'd bet is happening.
          I don't understand why they would rush with some and take their time with others. I was finished processing in about a months time from the Aug 23rd event. But I see others from months prior still not finished. Baffles me that they would spend all that money in overtime just to risk losing applicants because their Physical is passed its 6 month mark.

The optimistic side of me hopes your info is wrong. But it unfortunately would seem correct, being they dish out so much money in brutality cases alone each year.
          Last edited by B0AN1CK; 10-15-2014, 09:13 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

• The fiscal year is July 1st-June 30. Not January

Comment

• Originally posted by TGYNYY View Post
              The fiscal year is July 1st-June 30. Not January
              Haha, won't be the first time I was wrong, thanks for the correction. But I still have a suspicion that the academy being delayed has something to do with budgeting.

Comment

Haha, won't be the first time I was wrong, thanks for the correction. But I still have a suspicion that the academy being delayed has something to do with budgeting.
                Well, when does the 2015 pension actually kick in for new POTs? Is it the actual start of a solar year, or is it the start of the fiscal year? If it's January, that's quite possibly why it got pushed back. Why hold an academy in October and bring on a bunch of new people when you can just push it back to January and save your city a ton of money should they happen to stay the entire time.

In any case, I'm just glad that someone out there got the information. B0AN1CK and I kind of hit a wall and I'm glad that someone broke through it. My BI wasn't saying anything, his didn't appear to be either. Unfortunately, I'm wondering what is going to happen with the June testers because I was under the impression that the physical agility portion of the process is only good for six months. Unless we were all hired in December, that part is going to expire. It'd absolutely suck to have to pay for a hotel/Southwest ticket and then proceed to move out there in a few weeks.
                Last edited by Seraphym; 10-16-2014, 04:12 AM.

Comment

Well, when does the 2015 pension actually kick in for new POTs?
                  From what I understand and have been told, the transition from a traditional defined benefit plan to a so-called hybrid plan requires that enabling legislation be passed by the City Council and signed into law by the Mayor. As of right now no such law has been enacted. That doesn't mean that it won't be accomplished by January 1st, 2015 but as of right now it's all theoretical. I do, however, expect that it will materialize at some point.

Comment

When I called my BI in Baltimore, she told me the problem (why I hadn't been hearing anything) was because they weren't hiring ANYONE right now because they hadn't decided on whether or not to move the academy to a later date. The date she said that had been thrown around was some time in January.
                    It's becoming increasingly obvious that this decision will be made for them.

Comment

• lookinggood, has your bi contacted you to schedule your medical and psych yet?

Comment

• Not yet... Where are you in the process?

Originally posted by RiordBP View Post
                        lookinggood, has your bi contacted you to schedule your medical and psych yet?

Comment

• Same stage you're in, still waiting for med and psych. Its been about a month since i finished my poly and my bi started my background.

Comment

Veritas, I was under the impression that you still hadn't completed the psychological and medical. Is your BI saying that the reason you haven't been called back to schedule those phases is because the entire process has been frozen? If so, I wonder why the Background Unit hasn't informed any of the others on here that they will be encountering a delay.

Originally posted by Veritas9 View Post
                            I'd hardly call it extended XD. I've been in the process since June 22/23rd. In five days, that'll have been four months. I'd probably have just completed the written examination and received an interview in that amount of time. Even with this delay, BPD's turnaround has been much faster than I've gotten elsewhere. You've been in this longer than me.

Comment

• the last i heard around the academy is that the next class is in the budget for this year so they kinda have to start a class this year...when money is set out for that it has to be done so the latest it should start is dec 31, however i have been hearing heavy talk about first couple of weeks in NOV.

Comment

Veritas, I was under the impression that you still hadn't completed the psychological and medical. Is your BI saying that the reason you haven't been called back to schedule those phases is because the entire process has been frozen? If so, I wonder why the Background Unit hasn't informed any of the others on here that they will be encountering a delay.

I'd hardly call it extended XD. I've been in the process since June 22/23rd. In five days, that'll have been four months. I'd probably have just completed the written examination and received an interview in that amount of time. Even with this delay, BPD's turnaround has been much faster than I've gotten elsewhere. You've been in this longer than me.
                                She didn't use those exact words, but yes. The words she used were, "[We haven't hired any one at this point because we're still deciding on a date for the academy, which we're thinking of moving to January]". Notice my generous use of brackets, as I am by no means quoting her verbatim. But the more I learn on this forum, the more it seems absolutely no one KNOWS when the academy is, people can only speculate (as I have admittedly been doing). And yes I have my oral psych and medical left to do as well. As for the BI's not calling people about the delay in processing? I have no idea.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11049 users online. 222 members and 10827 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X