Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltimore City Police Department Q&A

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Seraphym View Post
    I've been done for a while. My file was sent up about 7 weeks ago. Are you finished yourself?



    You really have me nervous if that is what the problem was because the only difference between the two of us is your restaurant management experience you had (I have none of that) and I recently completed my Master's. I'd be a little shocked if that were the problem though because there have been people hired, in the last year mind you, straight out of college. I don't imagine they have a ton of experience.
    I just have the psych and the medical left.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by lookinggood View Post
      At the time,did your bi specifically tell you that you passed everything? Sometimes,you can complete things and not pass.
      I know for sure that I passed the written and oral psych. I did the poly twice. The first time I was given an "inconclusive" result...and after the second time I hadn't heard anything from my BI for about 3 weeks after I completed it. So I called in and asked how I did. Her reply was that, it "went well." The only part of the process that I didn't receive any feedback on was the medical. However, the physician whom was giving me the battery of tests said that there were no issues at the time. I'd go with the simple fact that I feel i was not competitive at the time compared to the rest of the applicants.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Seraphym View Post
        I've been done for a while. My file was sent up about 7 weeks ago. Are you finished yourself?



        You really have me nervous if that is what the problem was because the only difference between the two of us is your restaurant management experience you had (I have none of that) and I recently completed my Master's. I'd be a little shocked if that were the problem though because there have been people hired, in the last year mind you, straight out of college. I don't imagine they have a ton of experience.
        I don't have any knowledge of what the department prefers in terms of education, but I'd imagine having a Masters degree would be something they'd look favorably upon. In my opinion, way better than having some restaurant management experience. Good luck man. Don't be nervous. I may not have been what they were looking for at the time. Hence, I will try again when I'm eligible.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by triniboy05 View Post
          I believe it's 2 years from DQ before you can reapply but don't quote me on it, if you look through the posts you'll find it somewhere in there I'm sure.
          Thanks bud. As long as I'm able to reapply I will wait it out until I'm eligible.

          Comment


          • Don't let that make anyone too nervous i have ppl in my class who don't have college or too much work under them its more of the prson and what they find and don't find.....you all will be fine BPD will keep hiring.....Master degree is a great thing to have under you belt too......extra $$$$

            Comment


            • Originally posted by lookinggood View Post
              I just have the psych and the medical left.
              How long have you been waiting?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by sk84 View Post
                I'm hoping and guessing that's what it is. I do have a 4 year college degree in Psychology, but at the time I had very minimal experience (Had worked private security for a little while along with some restaurant management and tutoring). I'm sending the letter out today. I hope they let me reapply.
                sk84, I have an additional question and if you don't want to say, feel free to ignore it. Where I presently live, the credit requirement of an Associate's degree is required to remain certified within five years of you become a certified LE officer. Because most people tend to have at least that, grades play a huge factor in whether or not you get overlooked, especially in the two cities (Madison/Milwaukee) that run their own academies. What were your grades like?

                This is obviously anecdotal, but at least around here, it seems like education works the exact same way as work experience. It's far better to have it than not, but only if it's a positive factor in your background. If it's a negative, it's a situation where it actually hurts you more than if you never had it at all. Were your grades pretty decent? If not, that might be why they said no.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Seraphym View Post
                  sk84, I have an additional question and if you don't want to say, feel free to ignore it. Where I presently live, the credit requirement of an Associate's degree is required to remain certified within five years of you become a certified LE officer. Because most people tend to have at least that, grades play a huge factor in whether or not you get overlooked, especially in the two cities (Madison/Milwaukee) that run their own academies. What were your grades like?

                  This is obviously anecdotal, but at least around here, it seems like education works the exact same way as work experience. It's far better to have it than not, but only if it's a positive factor in your background. If it's a negative, it's a situation where it actually hurts you more than if you never had it at all. Were your grades pretty decent? If not, that might be why they said no.
                  My final GPA was 3.1 - about average I'd say. I did much better in year 3 and 4 than in my first two. Two semesters on the deans list. I did have one F on my transcript, though it was very early on and that grade absolutely killed my GPA for a while.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by sk84 View Post
                    My final GPA was 3.1 - about average I'd say. I did much better in year 3 and 4 than in my first two. Two semesters on the deans list. I did have one F on my transcript, though it was very early on and that grade absolutely killed my GPA for a while.
                    I doubt that's the problem. I cannot say what your school's mean looks like, it might be average with inflation taken into consideration, but anything up to a 3.67, by definition, is "above average". It's highly unlikely that was the problem.
                    Last edited by Seraphym; 10-14-2014, 09:07 AM.

                    Comment


                    • It's been about a month

                      Originally posted by Seraphym View Post
                      How long have you been waiting?

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by lookinggood View Post
                        It's been about a month
                        That's about how long it was in between my poly and medical/psych. I take it you were among those who attended one of the August events?

                        Comment


                        • seraphym , have you heard anything yet?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by lookinggood View Post
                            seraphym , have you heard anything yet?
                            Trust me, this entire thread will know the day I receive either a letter or a phone call. I've still had neither. Really trying to resist the temptation of sending my BI anything, I don't want to annoy him and all of this is out of his hands now.
                            Last edited by Seraphym; 10-15-2014, 09:47 AM.

                            Comment


                            • anyone who took the written psych in september or october hear back yet?

                              Comment


                              • Well if this isn't ironic, I don't know what is:

                                Was supposed to go in on Sunday and sign my paperwork with another department, got a call yesterday saying that the academy date has been pushed back, so now my start date has also been pushed back. The date I'd been given for the academy was Nov. 4, now they want to push it back to January for budgeting reasons. Kind of a bummer as I had already quit my part time, and was only a few days away from my last day at my full time job, but it is what it is. Just out of curiosity, I called my BI in Baltimore, and asked for a status update on my application, she said everything is fine, they're just waiting to hear about this new date they've set for the academy... scheduled in January. With my luck both departments will call at the same time.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 16429 users online. 380 members and 16049 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X