300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by B0AN1CK View Post
    Inner department issues, or with the public?
    Both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
      It's just another consent decree coming.

You guys have been through it before and some had to see it coming. The department in the last 2 years have been in the headlines for ALL the wrong reasons.
      A consent decree that will accomplish nothing good. Certain individuals deliberately broke this agency over a long period of time but now all of the agency's problems are portrayed as being the fault of the rank and file. This despite the fact that these problems have been brewing for over a decade and about fifty percent of the agency's personnel have five years or less on the job.

You know the situation is bad when the incoming 1st Vice President of the FOP, a career Cop and ranking supervisor with 33 years on the department, issues a public statement telling any Officer with less than ten years to resign from the agency and find another job. See the following link:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...0.story?page=2

It's also interesting that you mention that two year time frame. Two years ago the FOP issued it's own report outlining what needed to be done to fix the problem. None of its recommendations were followed. Two years later we're staring down the barrel of a Federal Consent Decree. You can see the FOP report below. It's only 15 pages long but very concise and even more prescient. Every significant so-called discovery (the lawsuits, training issues, recruitment issues, leadership issues etc) made in recent weeks was touched on in the FOP report. The Baltimore Sun acts as though it's publishing amazing revelations when in reality the problems have been a matter of public record for years.

http://www.fop3.org/images/documents/policing.pdf
      Last edited by Thedoughboy111; 10-07-2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Is this the reason for the stall in hiring for the upcoming academy? When will the federal investigation begin?
        Last edited by waittime; 10-07-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Hello everyone

Comment

• Originally posted by Thedoughboy111 View Post
            A consent decree that will accomplish nothing good. Certain individuals deliberately broke this agency over a long period of time but now all of the agency's problems are portrayed as being the fault of the rank and file. This despite the fact that these problems have been brewing for over a decade and about fifty percent of the agency's personnel have five years or less on the job.

You know the situation is bad when the incoming 1st Vice President of the FOP, a career Cop and ranking supervisor with 33 years on the department, issues a public statement telling any Officer with less than ten years to resign from the agency and find another job. See the following link:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...0.story?page=2

It's also interesting that you mention that two year time frame. Two years ago the FOP issued it's own report outlining what needed to be done to fix the problem. None of its recommendations were followed. Two years later we're staring down the barrel of a Federal Consent Decree. You can see the FOP report below. It's only 15 pages long but very concise and even more prescient. Every significant so-called discovery (the lawsuits, training issues, recruitment issues, leadership issues etc) made in recent weeks was touched on in the FOP report. The Baltimore Sun acts as though it's publishing amazing revelations when in reality the problems have been a matter of public record for years.

http://www.fop3.org/images/documents/policing.pdf

Wow reading the first article really made me think if i even want to go to Baltimore now. I sure want it but don't want to get there and see why so many people leave. Its crazy.

Comment

• I don't see how it can be different than any other larger department. Yeah, you're going to have your issues within the department. But no matter where you go you will find that. As far as issues with the public, I believe it's also going to be an issue elsewhere as well, especially with this "Anti-Cop" movement sweeping the nation. If you want to back out, now is the time to do it. But you made it this far...test the waters and work the years you would owe them..if you're unhappy, leave. Smaller departments will sweep you up having this on your work history.

What I'm trying to say is don't let the voice of some sway your life decision. Not knocking any information that was shared. I thank you for it, it is very insightful and appreciated on my part.

Comment

I don't see how it can be different than any other larger department. Yeah, you're going to have your issues within the department. But no matter where you go you will find that. As far as issues with the public, I believe it's also going to be an issue elsewhere as well, especially with this "Anti-Cop" movement sweeping the nation. If you want to back out, now is the time to do it. But you made it this far...test the waters and work the years you would owe them..if you're unhappy, leave. Smaller departments will sweep you up having this on your work history.

What I'm trying to say is don't let the voice of some sway your life decision. Not knocking any information that was shared. I thank you for it, it is very insightful and appreciated on my part.
                Are you an officer in the city? An officer at all anywhere? Live in the state?

This department does not have "issues that every other department has" it has top down mismanagement at an almost criminal rate. And now the back lash is coming and it's coming hard.

Federal indictments for a towing kick back, officer selling heroin on the lot of the district while working and in uniform, training officer shooting a recruit in the head during a training exercise at a facility they didn't have permission to use in another part of the state, Supervisors charged and convicted of kidnapping a child and driving them out of the city, stealing their shoes, and forcing them to walk home, officer arrested for providing "cover" for drug dealers while in uniform in her patrol car, a recent officer killing their girlfriends dog brutally for going potty in the house, and the list goes on and on, the revelation that there has been a top to bottom overtime scam for many years, officer stealing wheels off of a stolen vehicle and putting them on his own.

Yes every department is going to have issues and larger ones more issues but THESE issues are certainly not "average" or par for the course in law enforcement. And THESE are just the ones we (the public) know about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                  Are you an officer in the city? An officer at all anywhere? Live in the state?

This department does not have "issues that every other department has" it has top down mismanagement at an almost criminal rate. And now the back lash is coming and it's coming hard.

Federal indictments for a towing kick back, officer selling heroin on the lot of the district while working and in uniform, training officer shooting a recruit in the head during a training exercise at a facility they didn't have permission to use in another part of the state, Supervisors charged and convicted of kidnapping a child and driving them out of the city, stealing their shoes, and forcing them to walk home, officer arrested for providing "cover" for drug dealers while in uniform in her patrol car, a recent officer killing their girlfriends dog brutally for going potty in the house, and the list goes on and on, the revelation that there has been a top to bottom overtime scam for many years, officer stealing wheels off of a stolen vehicle and putting them on his own.

Yes every department is going to have issues and larger ones more issues but THESE issues are certainly not "average" or par for the course in law enforcement. And THESE are just the ones we (the public) know about.
                  No I'm not an officer in the city, I'm coming from another department. Why are you making a quote of something I didn't say? I was simply saying that you're going to have issues about something no matter where you go. Everywhere has something going on, and while the issues of Baltimore are something not to brag about, I didn't say anything about "average issues", and I certainly did not say anything was par. Please attempt to thoroughly read something before jumping to conclusions next time.

Comment

• Okay, but you don't work here. This isn't something that you should be commenting on, because you're just speculating. Let those who have real knowledge of the dept. answer, making assumptions isn't going to help a prospective applicant make a career decision.
                    Originally posted by B0AN1CK View Post
                    No I'm not an officer in the city, I'm coming from another department. Why are you making a quote of something I didn't say? I was simply saying that you're going to have issues about something no matter where you go. Everywhere has something going on, and while the issues of Baltimore are something not to brag about, I didn't say anything about "average issues", and I certainly did not say anything was par. Please attempt to thoroughly read something before jumping to conclusions next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGYNYY View Post
                      Okay, but you don't work here. This isn't something that you should be commenting on, because you're just speculating. Let those who have real knowledge of the dept. answer, making assumptions isn't going to help a prospective applicant make a career decision.
                      I'm not going to argue with you two. No, I don't have experience with the department. Take it away.

Comment

• Has anyone been able to find a copy of their "Preventing Harm" report, or has it not been publicly published yet? I was interested in taking a look at it, but I've yet to find a copy anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by ny_2326 View Post
                          Wow reading the first article really made me think if i even want to go to Baltimore now. I sure want it but don't want to get there and see why so many people leave. Its crazy.
                          My advice to you is to stay in New York, if that's where you're from, and wait for a Department there to call you. We have a lot of folks who come from New York and New Jersey to get hired here. Once they see what the job is like they immediately start trying to get hired back home. What was the point then of coming down in the first place? New York and New Jersey aren't going to accept your MPCTC card and just put you out on the street - you're going to have to go through another academy and another field training period. Do yourself a favor and spare yourself the six month process, the move down to MD, the six month academy and however long you end up doing on the street and just sit tight where you are and wait. If you want to be a Cop there are better jobs, particularly right now.

Comment

I don't see how it can be different than any other larger department. Yeah, you're going to have your issues within the department. But no matter where you go you will find that. As far as issues with the public, I believe it's also going to be an issue elsewhere as well, especially with this "Anti-Cop" movement sweeping the nation. If you want to back out, now is the time to do it. But you made it this far...test the waters and work the years you would owe them..if you're unhappy, leave. Smaller departments will sweep you up having this on your work history.

The old pattern used to be come work for BPD for a year or two, get some experience and then lateral elsewhere. Unfortunately that notion is out of date. First and foremost, if you join the BPD you have to sign a five year contract - that's five years from the time you graduate the academy not five years from your date of hire. If you leave early you owe the Department a significant amount of money which roughly translates to a year's pay after taxes.

Even more importantly, you are more likely to be brought up on Departmental charges and to have those charges sustained than at any time in the Department's history. If you try to lateral with a laundry list of IID numbers you are going to get rejected. I've seen it happen. You are better off applying to the Department you really want to work for as a blank slate than doing so after a few years with BPD and having to try and explain why this dealer claimed you stole his money, why that schizophrenic said you kidnapped her and how you came to be charged with brutality after catching a burglar in the act.

If you want to be a Baltimore City Cop come on down. If you want to be a Cop seek life elsewhere.

Comment

Last edited by triniboy05; 07-02-2018, 08:09 PM.
                              God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

Comment

You said you don't see how it can be different from any other agency. Maybe I took some liberty in reading in between the lines of you post but as others have stated it comes across from a very uneducated point of view.

If you have no experience or exposure to the department it's wrong to try and convince anyone what they should do regarding applying.

Not an argument just some facts.
                                Last edited by Name Taken; 10-08-2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12758 users online. 394 members and 12364 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X