300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaulPo View Post
    LOL! But those fat asses gonna make me look like a PT stud at the academy!
    Yeah they'll make you look like a stud at the academy, but then how would you feel later on in your career when they get promoted because of " brown nosing " and they still aren't able to run a mile. I agree with the head PT instructor if you don't have enough self respect to take care of yourself, then you shouldn't be a cop. You should have seen the people I came up with in the academy. I feel bad for you officer's under their supervision.

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
      i dont know, im only guessing at this point. currently, the PT test is given by random people in personnel. i know for a fact if it was up to the PT instructors, the test would be closer to that of MSP/MdTA/etc... i know that the head of the pt dept, would like to see people come into the academy with a passing coopers test score or 60% and above. he has said that before. now, the problem is that he doesnt mandate who the dept will hire. making the test harder may only hinder the dept's hiring goals.

one things for certain, the way the test is now, too many fat asses are being hired... people that cant even jog a mile straight, that should never happen in a police academy.
      I'll have to disagree with you... respecfully disagree of course! BUT, that's a little harsh. Look at a certain APD Officer in our class that could barely jog a mile. You can't deny that he did belong there. From what I've heard he is a very very good Officer. Of course, as a whole I do not agree with out of shape Officers, but it does not necessarily mean they should not be there. They may have strengths in areas that some of us in shape Officers are lacking... But, if you ask me, I think the people that SHOULDN"T be at the Police Academy or be Po-Po.. Are women.... JUST KIDDING. I'm gonna get in trouble for that but I am totally kidding!

Comment

• stop getting sentimental... go to C, i mean uhhhhh...

Im talking people in this new class that make that APD guy look like hercules. im in no way in the best shape, but go to the academy one day and look at some of these POT's. a couple got hurt on their first jog, and are on light duty still. no one got injured from regular running in our class. thats what im referring to.

P.S. i love that APD officer in question.

Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
        I'll have to disagree with you... respecfully disagree of course! BUT, that's a little harsh. Look at a certain APD Officer in our class that could barely jog a mile. You can't deny that he did belong there. From what I've heard he is a very very good Officer. Of course, as a whole I do not agree with out of shape Officers, but it does not necessarily mean they should not be there. They may have strengths in areas that some of us in shape Officers are lacking... But, if you ask me, I think the people that SHOULDN"T be at the Police Academy or be Po-Po.. Are women.... JUST KIDDING. I'm gonna get in trouble for that but I am totally kidding!

Comment

• LIAR.. I don't think you love him.. I'm telling him! haha jk I know you do. I guess I should go to the academy and check it out.. After all, you would think they would fix the problem of my paystubs STILL going there so i have to pick them up anyways.

Anyways, I guess my dreams of being the big fat cop should be no more.. Although I do love eating them 7-11 Toquitos and doughnuts.

Maybe one day they will implement that yearly PT test... At least for an incentive of some sort to stay healthy.

Sidenote - I've read a little over 100 pages of that Cop IN the Hood book.. It's been a great read so far!

Comment

• MiGuy - i posted that separate thread about Cop in the Hood. I would be interested in hearing your perspective on it.

Let's say you're 50-75 pounds overweight coming in and you don't get 60% on the initial academy PT test. You then have to do remedial training on days that PT isn't scheduled. We've been having PT 2 days a week. So, you're working out 5 days a week for about an hour to an hour and a half. Not at your pace, but at the PT instructors machine/terminator-like pace; either at 6:15AM or at 4:30 - after a full day at the academy. Then, on top of that you might get smoked. Then, let's say, it doesn't look like you're making much progress in increasing your PT level, so a plan is instituted to have you do PT at lunch and at the end of the day. 3 TIMES A DAY!!!!! So, if this sounds fun to you, please join BPD today as an unfit, out of shape person. You'll be an almost constant center of negative attention and not enjoy the academy very much at all.

I truly admire people who endure this type of routine - it shows heart, motivation and determination to be an LEO. But, life in the academy is easier if you hit that 60% or above right off the bat.

THEY DROPPED THE PUSHUP LIMIT????? I heard this was going to happen so that a higher number of certain folks could get in, but MEN, I highly recommend you be able to do at least 40, if not a good 50. Have your run in the 13's.

Comment

• ......Answered my own question, nevermind...........
              Last edited by Sense0Purpose1; 03-13-2009, 11:35 PM.
              sigpic

I'm the gatekeeper, are you the keymaster?

Servicing what feels like one giant Mental Hospital......... going on 3 years.

Comment

• Damn is BPD so desperate now, that it had to come to that ( dropping the pushup limit ). Don't they ( Command ) no what they'll be attracting to the dept. .

Comment

• Well having remedial in itself isn't that serious. You only work out 5 days in the beginning when you're at the academy all the time. Once you start getting split with the range and EVOC and stuff like that, you won't be at the actual academy every day so remedial gets cut down too. One thing I wouldn't have been pleased with is having it in the AM though.

But working out 3 times a day...yeah that's vicious. But if you need it, then you need it. And anyone who is subject to that routine and can take it does have heart.

Also, let's not forget that just because you don't pass the PT test doesn't mean you're "fat". You can be average weight and be out of shape. I'm thin and I was in remedial. That would be because 2 of the 4 events primarily require good upper body strength, which I was lacking when I came in. Weight doesn't ALWAYS equate to physical ability. The biggest girl in my class was commended by the PT instructors a few times because even though she had some weight on her, she NEVER stopped running.

You can fix being fat. It's harder to fix being an idiot or lack of common sense. I worried more about those people than the out of shape ones, personally. There's a lot more in the academy that needs to be conquered besides PT...

Comment

• VERY well said Tee.Elle!

Now.. PM me if you don't mind and tell me who you are because I can't figure it out and I'm going crazy.. And where are you working?!?!

Comment

• Without sounding like a *****...anyone who puts a ton of faith into anything that goes onto the academy is doing themselfs a HUGE discredit.

Having been "out" for awhile...there are plenty of people who I'd consider a "flop" in the academy that are some awesome supervisors, detectives, and street cops.

There are plenty that are flops and continues to be flops through.

Enjoy.

Comment

• .................................................. ......................
                        Last edited by Tee.Elle.; 08-31-2010, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tee.Elle. View Post
                          Funny...because I know who you are
                          MiGuy, tell me who she is after you find out... bc me and tigerwoody always wonder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tee.Elle. View Post
                            Funny...because I know who you are
                            Uh oh... Stalker haha.. Now you HAVE to prvt me and let me know!

Comment

• Can any one of you fine upstanding citizens tell me how to get to Gunpowder Range....what exit is it off of 695....is it 32C? Thanks
                              "Sometimes there is Justice and sometimes there is Just Us"

Comment

• [/QUOTE]
                                ....I would come down and complete the testing, but not if I won't get a spot in the academy due to a hiring freeze.
                                [/QUOTE]

You have got to be kidding me !!! Wow.. everyone has to jump through hurdles except this guy. LMAO

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5957 users online. 241 members and 5716 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X