Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was a good and painless two days, some of you guys need to lighten up - when you are on the job a stick up your behind will hurt you. Although yes, professionalism is also encouraged, i guess there needs to be a medium.

To give you guys some good news, your background investigations have already started. Employers have begun receiving phone calls since monday, yes monday.
    "At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst."
    -Aristotle

Comment

• Originally posted by Hope 1 View Post
      Thanks for the information. Does the conditional offer lock you in, in the event that you pass everything.
      It seems that way, but I could be wrong. It basically says if you pass everything AND the City of Baltimore approves it, you'll be hired.
      Serving since 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by EqualJustice View Post
        It was a good and painless two days, some of you guys need to lighten up - when you are on the job a stick up your behind will hurt you. Although yes, professionalism is also encouraged, i guess there needs to be a medium.

To give you guys some good news, your background investigations have already started. Employers have begun receiving phone calls since monday, yes monday.
        While I cannot comment on the mindset one on the job should have, I've always been under the impression to Look Sharp and Act Sharp when in the application process and in the presence of officers. If I stick out, I don't want it to be for any wrong reason.

That's some great news regarding your employers getting notified. Hopefully the BI calls you soon to schedule the interview.
        Serving since 2013

Comment

• What I'm worried about is the Polygraph, I've read on numerous occasions individuals who anwsered 100% truthfully failed the polygraph. The device is illegal in many states and cities. Im planning on anwsering 100% truthfully as I have nothing to hide thus the controll questions that I will be asked I will still anwset even though they will expect me to lie leading to me having similar responces later... This is the problem with polygraphs, in case someone does fail do we have some time to discuss this?
          Last edited by EqualJustice; 08-22-2012, 04:03 PM.
          "At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst."
          -Aristotle

Comment

• I wouldn't give to much thought to the polygraph, it is part of the process so it is what it is. Be truthful and you should have no problems. Don't work yourself up thinking about it, it really is a fairly simple step in the process if you have been honest throughout the rest of the steps.

Comment

What I'm worried about is the Polygraph, I've read on numerous occasions individuals who anwsered 100% truthfully failed the polygraph. The device is illegal in many states and cities. Im planning on anwsering 100% truthfully as I have nothing to hide thus the controll questions that I will be asked I will still anwset even though they will expect me to lie leading to me having similar responces later... This is the problem with polygraphs, in case someone does fail do we have some time to discuss this?
              Was that English?

Comment

• Originally posted by golfdmb18 View Post
                Was that English?

I think he was trying to come off as someone who went to a Ivy League school but instead came off as a High school Grad LOL!
                NYC Corrections Exam: 2322
                Academy: March 2015 (Got the call!!) NYCDOC

Comment

• Originally posted by HoldFast View Post
                  Make sure ALL your copies are on separate sheets. Do you still have to take psych too?
                  Sure do.
                  Last edited by jjbonilla1980; 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM.
                  P.G.P.D.
                  4-30-11 written
                  4-30-11 physical agility
                  5-24-11 initial interview
                  6-5-11 ride- along
                  6-13-11 polygraph
                  6-13-11 psych
                  6-14-11 oral board
                  medical-tbd

Comment

• Let me repeat, i've read on AntiPolygraph.com that individuals who anwser truthfully have a chance of failing - why I am stressing it.

Also I am sorry for my typos. I am posting this off of an iphone and sometimes press a letter multiple times or even miss a letter. No need to become a grammar nazi when your primary english teacher is your browser's spellcheck.
                    -Aristotle

Comment

Let me repeat, i've read on AntiPolygraph.com that individuals who anwser truthfully have a chance of failing - why I am stressing it.

Also I am sorry for my typos. I am posting this off of an iphone and sometimes press a letter multiple times or even miss a letter. No need to become a grammar nazi when your primary english teacher is your browser's spellcheck.
                      As stated on here, you may want to avoid websites like that. It may come up in the poly and it could appear that it's An attempt to manipulate the results. I've never seen the website, but I've heard the same thing about the poly. There's nothing you can do about it though. If you want in to BPD, you're going to have to take it.
                      Serving since 2013

Comment

Let me repeat, i've read on AntiPolygraph.com that individuals who anwser truthfully have a chance of failing - why I am stressing it.

I believe you should accuse your detractor of being a spelling Nazi, not the grammar variety.

As for your posts, please be advised that this forum is not the place to share your beliefs regarding the polygraph. Another poster was kind enough to point out that researching techniques for "beating" the polygraph, i.e. deploying countermeasures, is one of the easiest ways to fail the test, be removed from the process, and potentially face an uphill climb if you wish to be hired by another department once you have to start telling them you failed a polygraph with another agency.

I would strongly advise all police applicants to simply take the polygraph and tell the truth. Researching countermeasures will only provide a false sense of security as polygraphers are aware of George Maschke's writings and postulations regarding the polygraph. In other words, they know what you will attempt to do if you choose to go down that path.

The polygraph should be easy and stress free. If you tell the truth, you have nothing to worry about and you'll pass the test. If you decide to lie, you have plenty to worry about and the outcome of the test should be obvious.

Comment

• I don't plan to fool the polygraph, I don't believe I ever stated that I do. Regardless, thank you for the response.
                          -Aristotle

Comment

• How about this idea.

You arent OWED the job. If you happen to fail something (like the poly) fairly or not you still failed and get passed on.

Reading some of these posts almost seem like the applicants think they belong in the Dept. It seems they arent applying as much as showing up and expecting a job.

Comment

I don't plan to fool the polygraph, I don't believe I ever stated that I do. Regardless, thank you for the response.
                              I don't think anyone is accusing of trying to fool the polygraph per se, but looking at websites such as the one you mentioned could be potential hazard to yourself should you advance to the polygraph stage. Imagine if the polygrapher asks if you've ever researched polygraph false-positives, or errors with polygraph results? While it may be an innocent google search on your part, it MAY appear to be an honesty/integrity issue to them. My advice is to just let it be and try not to worry about what might happen.

Don't handicap yourself by looking at these sites. Think of it this way: If polygraphs were that unreliable, do you honestly think departments across the US would still continue to use them?
                              Last edited by LEOhopeful81; 08-23-2012, 09:13 AM.
                              Serving since 2013

Comment

I don't plan to fool the polygraph, I don't believe I ever stated that I do. Regardless, thank you for the response.
                                I wish you luck in your career search. The day may come where you believe the words people don't choose are at least as important as the words they do.

Everyone once in a while someone shows up and asks (innocently, of course), "Hey guys, I'm worried I might fail the polygraph even though I swear I'm a good applicant. Do you think I should put a tack in my shoe to skew the results? According to this website which tells me what I want to hear, there are ways innocent people are barred from employment by ruthless polygraphers who set out to fail people. They tell me I can make sure it doesn't happen to me! What should I do?"

This type of statement invites several questions. Why was the poster researching polygraph countermeasures? Is that poster shopping around to see if others on the thread will tacitly approve such an approach? What would the poster wish to conceal? Is it shame over shoplifting as a nine year old, or something more unusual such as selling drugs or domestic assault?

To paint the issue in black and white, it's normal for applicants to be nervous about the polygraph. It is unusual for applicants to research ways to manipulate the test results. In police work, we call that a clue.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11521 users online. 393 members and 11128 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X