Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys, just trying to do as much homework as I can on the department before I apply. East coast departments tend to differ significantly from West coast ones (at least in titles, structure and organisation) so it can be confusing. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Testing Requirement

In October i will be doing the 4 day testing process for Baltimore City Police Dept. Does anyone know what their tests consists of ? (Poly, oral board etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by tjramsey2005 View Post
        In October i will be doing the 4 day testing process for Baltimore City Police Dept. Does anyone know what their tests consists of ? (Poly, oral board etc.)
        im currently processing.

you will have a written test, agility test, interview, poly, psych. im not sure if there is a physical at this time or not.

Comment

Yes there are physical tests. One being a 1 mile run, a dummy drag, bench press, sit and reach, and squeezing the trigger on the Glock and racking the slide. Thats about what I had to do 7 years ago, so it may have changed.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStix View Post
            Yes there are physical tests. One being a 1 mile run, a dummy drag, bench press, sit and reach, and squeezing the trigger on the Glock and racking the slide. Thats about what I had to do 7 years ago, so it may have changed.
            negative on that. its been changed.

1.5 mile run in 16.xx

64% body weight bench press

27 situps in 1 minute

glock familiarization (many people should have been failed on this when i was there, i was surprised)

16.4" sit and reach

you get one allotment(sp?) i.e. you can choose ONE of the following...

1 extra minute for the run

5 less situps

10 less lbs on benchpress

?? sit n reach

however, if you use any of those allotments, you will be forced to report to the academy 1 hour early each day for extra PT.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
              negative on that. its been changed.

1.5 mile run in 16.xx

64% body weight bench press

27 situps in 1 minute

glock familiarization (many people should have been failed on this when i was there, i was surprised)

16.4" sit and reach

you get one allotment(sp?) i.e. you can choose ONE of the following...

1 extra minute for the run

5 less situps

10 less lbs on benchpress

?? sit n reach

however, if you use any of those allotments, you will be forced to report to the academy 1 hour early each day for extra PT.

pretty amazing that you don't even have to work out or be in shape to past those tests
              Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

I have to agree. I am very out of shape and could still pass that test. It makes you question the people they are hiring to be your backup, and is one of the reasons I've delayed applying.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                  Um, how is it possible to fail a Glock familiarisation? Its just racking the slide with both hands, right? If they have motor control and basic muscle strength they should be able to do this. Could you explain?

Comment

Those who failed obviously weren't city residents.

Comment

Originally posted by Kashihara View Post
                      Um, how is it possible to fail a Glock familiarisation? Its just racking the slide with both hands, right? If they have motor control and basic muscle strength they should be able to do this. Could you explain?
                      It is to weed out people who try to become officers but have some kind of disability or muscular problems or just flat out weak. Its not be biased against the handicapped, but racking the slide on your gun is something you have to be able to do this job.

A guy I know who I used to play football with...strong as an ox. He got into a car accident that severly damaged the nerves in his hand. Now he struggles to make a fist.
                      GO CAVS!!

Comment

Are push ups a req.?

Comment

Originally posted by Jat1668 View Post
                          Are push ups a req.?
                          no

people just had to be shown over and over by the test admins. if you apply, you see this first hand. at least half of the people could not grasp the concept of locking the slide and releasing the clip with both hands. one guy kept putting his index finger over the front of the barrel to rack the slide. he did this at least 7 times, each time he was stopped and reshown the precedure. it was so rediculous. one person was told they would have to return for that test.

of all of the tests, the glock part took the longest. at least a good 30 minutes for a 15 minute process.

chiller, you are 100 percent correct. if you can breathe, you should be able to pass this. however, there were 4 retests present, and about 4 failed at least one aspect that day. i havent worked out in over 5 months and passed easily. i am 6'5" 245lbs.

here were my scores

40 situps
                          14.2 run (i ran mdta's back in feb with a score of 12.4)
                          easily benched the 64%
                          19" sit and reach
                          no issues with glock (i own a first generation glock 17).

Comment

Does the glock operate similarly to a 1911?

Comment

Originally posted by Jat1668 View Post
                              Does the glock operate similarly to a 1911?
                              IMO, a gun is a gun

if you can rack and lock the slide of one, you should be able to do it with another. dont stress over this. most of these people couldnt do this because they had problems following directions, not so much problem with muscle use. it will be with a red gun, which is ten times easier to rack then my real glock. this is seriously the least to worry about. just pay attention to the orders, and dont rush.

Comment

Wow, I remember posting these requirements a few months back because I thought they had made a mistake on the website.

How much harder do the physical tests get in the academy? Not that I really have a problem with them, just wondering. Not too concerned with academics either, about to get my AA this semster, never had any problems with school.

Anyone have any insight into their academy? I was thinking about applying since the idea of being a county sheriff is looking less and less apealing, even though I keep passing everything. Guarding the courthouse and running an xray machine doesn't sit well with me. Serving warrants would be alright, but that's years away and I'm itching to get out there and do the job now. I'm still in the whole wanting to be "real" cop mode, and Bmore could be a good place to get a lot of valuable experience. But seriously, any info would be great. I'm sure you get stuck in patrol first, but do you have any say over which district you get put in? I've heard from another thread that getting into specialized units is fairly easy and fast since they lose a lot of people. Any truth to this? Thanks in advance.
                                Last edited by zrex; 09-12-2007, 06:59 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4926 users online. 196 members and 4730 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X