300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kashi,

Re: your comment about not drawing attention to yourself, what was up with the red socks???

Comment

• HF03

The first 2 days are paperwork, swearing in, getting basic clothing at the quartermaster's, being measured for your Class A uniform and generally sitting around in between. Then you're assigned to a work detail. Ask for the Evidence unit!!

Comment

• Originally posted by DRSJCP View Post
        Kashi,

Re: your comment about not drawing attention to yourself, what was up with the red socks???
        Way to call me out on that buddy! In my previous life, I was rather dapper civil servant and some habits are hard to break, I'm also trying to be the next "Mad Dog", LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by DRSJCP View Post
          Also, what are the thoughts on owning your own Glock in addition to the service weapon? I've never owned a gun but have a smaller hand and a smaller Glock would be more comfortable. If you're supposed to carry at all times in the Baltimore Met area - does it have to be your service weapon or are you allowed to use a personal in an emergency.

Thx!!!
          I heard that you can bring your own gun on a qual-day and you can qual for both Glock 22 (40 cal, Hollow) and your own gun for off-duty carry. Then you'll have choice to carry either one. Supposedly, they give you discounts at the cop shop. Don't know if POTs qualify for discounts though. I believe off-duty carry goes beyond Bmore area, thanks to that new law they passed. My friend has Glock 27 (9mm) for carry. The magazine clip has this scoop thingy that you can rest your pinky on. Honestly, I didn't like Glock 27 because I had hard time having a good grip on it. I think Glock 22 would be perfect for me. But, Glock 27 was the first pistol I've ever fired. A shoulder mounted rocket launcher would be my choice, but people would look at me funny for walking around with a third leg.
          Last edited by PaulPo; 01-15-2009, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Icekold View Post
            Dude you totally meant "morale" right?
            There! Fixed! Ice, not you too!

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulPo View Post
              I heard that you can bring your own gun on a qual-day and you can qual for both Glock 22 (40 cal, Hollow) and your own gun for off-duty carry. Then you'll have choice to carry either one. Supposedly, they give you discounts at the cop shop. Don't know if POTs qualify for discounts though. I believe off-duty carry goes beyond Bmore area, thanks to that new law they passed. My friend has Glock 27 (9mm) for carry. The magazine clip has this scoop thingy that you can rest your pinky on. Honestly, I didn't like Glock 27 because I had hard time having a good grip on it. I think Glock 22 would be perfect for me. But, Glock 27 was the first pistol I've ever fired. A shoulder mounted rocket launcher would be my choice, but people would look at me funny for walking around with a third leg.
              Well, instead of going to bed like I should, I find it's overrated and I'm going to clarify on the off-duty issue....

From the time you are starting field training to the time you graduate, the only off-duty you can carry is your issued Glock 22. I was told many things about qualifying with an off-duty. WELL, ladies and gentlement, don't let people tell you that you can at the academy when you qualify with the 22, you can't. Don't let people tell you that you have to wait after you graduate, and then the next year when you are in service training, you don't have to. I, immediately after I graduated, called the range and qualified with my glock 27 within a week after graduation. And now, I can not have to try to hide the glock 22, and can carry the 27 where ever I want. And I requalify every year at in service.

The 22 can only be carried within the state of Maryland. You are not allowed to take that out of state, per the department. So, another good reason for qualifying with an off-duty, you can carry that country-wide thanks to H.R. 218.

Per my understanding, which the whole HR 218 is constantly debated, as a LEO you can legally carry a something else such as a revolver if you choose with your credentials. But, if you get into an altercation with it off duty, since it is not a gun you qualified and are eligible to carry per the department, they will not stand behind you and cover you, you are on your own.

I believe the only guns you will be able to qualify as off-duty, is the 27 and the 23, which is slightly smaller than the 22. The cop shop, does give discounts. And you actually get a bigger discount as a P.O.T. than as an Officer, although once you hit Field training, although you are still a P.O.T., you don't get the discount anymore. So I bought it while I was in the academy and got a little bit extra off mine and it really was not a bad price.

Hmm... I think I covered it all about the firearms. Any other question or if I missed thing or someone sees that I was incorrect about something (which I never am.. haha), feel free to add on.

Comment

• Correction, Glock 27 is 40 cal with 9-round magazine and Glock 26 is 9mm with 10-round magazine.

Mi, how is 27 compared to other compact models?
                Last edited by PaulPo; 01-15-2009, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kashihara View Post
                  I'm also trying to be the next "Mad Dog", LOL.
                  There is only one Mad Dog!!

Comment

• Hmmmm I was also told, will try and check, that the ones that were around with the Glock 17 were allowed to use those, although if you are worried about size it's pretty much the same size as the 22.

Comment

• MiGuy is right, however, im not sure if i misunderstood him or not, but you can qualify through the dept with guns other than the g27 and g23... there is a list of guns that are cleared by BPD for off duty... i know for sure that the sig pro is on there, dont remember what else. with that said, it is my understanding that while in city limits, you must carry a glock. its easier to just buy a 27 or 23. i have really large hands and shoot the 27 easily. i qualified with the 27 with a 98%. personally, i think it shoots better than the 22.

Comment

• With the two previous replies allow me to comment...

The guys that were around with the different guns can qualify with those guns. Such as the few that are still around with the revolver, are still able to qualify and carry those guns. I was just stating what the new guys will be able to qualify and carry.

As far as Jvegas' comment, I think you are correct. I mistakenly left that out. I think there is a springfield and something else you can qualify with but I do believe when you are in Baltimore City you have to carry one of the glocks, maybe? I'm not sure, it's been awhile since I've read the general order on that. but as far ast he 27, the only compact glock that I shot was a 9mm glock. In comparison, I LOVE the 27. I think it actually shoots the best. I got the extender on the magazine so my pinky can rest comfortably on it and now it can carry 10 rounds. It really does not have much of a kick-back, surprisingly with it being a smaller weapon.

I also left out that with off-duty carry, outside the city it is solely up to you. But, you must carry while in the city of Baltimore, unless you know you are going to get wasted.. basically.

Comment

• Anybody know if the HK USP/Compact or Sig P226 is on the approved list? I'd rather use my own than have to go pickup a new G27 for off duty at The Cop Shop.
                          Last edited by Kashihara; 01-15-2009, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kashihara View Post
                            Anybody know if the HK USP/Compact or Sig P226 is on the approved list? I'd rather use my own than have to go pickup a new G27 for off duty at The Cop Shop.
                            sig 226 is not on the list, only the sig pro. sig226 was my weapon of choice. i say was because i really like shooting my glocks now.

Comment

• I am thinking of applying to Baltimore City PD...any thoughts...is it a good unit..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Duke003 View Post
                                I am thinking of applying to Baltimore City PD...any thoughts...is it a good unit..?
                                It pays the bills every two weeks. Good people, can be fun, can be exciting, can be deadly.

Just like every department, it has its ups and downs. Make the most of it.

Your question is a little vague though, any unit specifically, or are you just talking about the department as a whole? For the most part, I still enjoy working here, but we all have our bad days.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7285 users online. 382 members and 6903 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X