300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjcek View Post
    no extra pay for detectives??!! That's nuts. So they just stay at the regular PO salary schedule?
    YEP!!! Same pay, more hours, lot longer days, more BS. Imagine that. Can't understand why someone would want to put themselves in that position!

Comment

• Originally posted by NightStix View Post
      YEP!!! Same pay, more hours, lot longer days, more BS. Imagine that. Can't understand why someone would want to put themselves in that position!
      that's crazy. I assume they bring home the extra $$$ by way of OT, but still I thought the norm was at least a 10% raise.

Comment

• Originally posted by NightStix View Post
        For the greater good of the city of Baltimore and its citizens.

God Bless the Mayor, Commissioner, and City Council.
        GO CAVS!!

Comment

• didnt see these questions answered before...

Let me preface by saying I know very well how available OT can disappear in the blink of an eye. That being said, what would you BPD folk on here say is the AVERAGE amount per year in OT that an officer with, let's say, 1 to 3 years on the job can bring home if they are a hard charger? Also, is OT always paid in $$$, or is there an option to take it as comp time?
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Finally, and I suppose these are directed mainly at at B-More Dawg...

Does having a college degree and/or a masters degree improve one's chances of making detective? Does BPD have different "grades" of detective's like NYPD, MPDC, etc? Once you make detective, are you assigned to a certain unit, ie: robbery, vice, homicide, etc? Or do you work a variety of different types of cases?

Thanks for the info!
          Last edited by mjcek; 12-29-2008, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjcek View Post
            didnt see these questions answered before...

Let me preface by saying I know very well how available OT can disappear in the blink of an eye. That being sad, what would you BPD folk on here say is the AVERAGE amount per year in OT that an officer with, let's say, 1 to 3 years on the job can bring home if they are a hard charger? Also, is OT always paid in $$$, or is there an option to take it as comp time?
            -------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Finally, and I suppose these are directed mainly at at B-More Dawg...

Does having a college degree and/or a masters degree improve one's chances of making detective? Does BPD have different "grades" of detective's like NYPD, MPDC, etc? Once you make detective, are you assigned to a certain unit, ie: robbery, vice, homicide, etc? Or do you work a variety of different types of cases?

Thanks for the info!
            In re: Overtime - I couldn't even guess on the dollar amount. I am sure one of the newer guys like Mi or Vegas can fill you on what they are pulling in.
            There is usually some type of overtime available like events, ballgames, etc.

As for Comp time, "no" for officers, its all money. I think supervisors have some type of comp time option, or at least had one.

In re: Detectives - Yes, your degree will help as you have to interview for CID positions when they are posted. When you apply, I would recommend putting together a resume and list your education. In addition, any higher learning will help because IT SHOULD mean you can formulate a complete sentence and articulate your thoughts. Your ability to communicate is paramount in this job both in patrol and especially in CID.

There are no detective grades. Although the senior guys will remind you that they have more time on than you on a consistant basis.

CID (Criminal Investigations Division) is broken up into Sections....Homicide Section, District Investigations, Special Investigations (Sex Offense, Citywide robbery, Arson, Child Abuse, etc. ), and Warrant Apprehension Task Force. In district investigation, you can be assigned to work Non Fatal Shootings, robbery, Agg. Assaults or burglary. That is only section where you can work different crimes depending upon your supervisors wishes.

In the other sections and the units within, you work what you are assigned. Homicide investigates murders, sex offense does rapes, Citwide Robbery does commercial robberies.
            GO CAVS!!

Comment

• Thanks Dawg

I also talked to a retired BPD Sgt who was in my academy class at DC Metro and he's given me some good insight as to how BPD works as well...

Comment

• If I bite the bullet and just go down during the weekly written exam and knock that out instead of waiting for the February out of state weekend process, do you think I'd continue with the physical ,med, poly, etc at a fairly fast pace? Or will I have a longer wait between steps since Im doing them individually?

Comment

• Mjeck can i pm you.

Comment

• sure thing

Comment

• Today

Well today I finally got the call. After waiting patiently for weeks on end. I go 1/5 for processing and start the academy on 1/9. Just when I started to think I wasn't going to make the 1/9 class. Thanks to all and good luck to those still in the process.

Comment

• Originally posted by ty614 View Post
                        Well today I finally got the call. After waiting patiently for weeks on end. I go 1/5 for processing and start the academy on 1/9. Just when I started to think I wasn't going to make the 1/9 class. Thanks to all and good luck to those still in the process.
                        Congrats!

How long was your proccess from start to finish?

Comment

• It all started in August. Then things began moving fast after the agility. Pretty much heard something every couple of weeks. After the process was complete was the hard part of waiting. I was told by a friend who was in SWAT to stay positive the process could take awhile. It took him almost a year. I really got nervous when all this talk about a hiring freeze started. Stay positive and keep pluggin.

Comment

• Originally posted by ty614 View Post
                            Congrats and good luck!

Comment

• congrats mjcek!!!! i'm sure there are quite a few of us on the forums that would love to join you in the class, but will have to wait until at least the february or march class (whenever the next class starts). anybody else in this forums being looked at the for the class after the 1/9 class? so i think that is the february or march class, is that correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by wheels64 View Post
                                congrats mjcek!!!! i'm sure there are quite a few of us on the forums that would love to join you in the class, but will have to wait until at least the february or march class (whenever the next class starts). anybody else in this forums being looked at the for the class after the 1/9 class? so i think that is the february or march class, is that correct?
                                lol wrong person!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10823 users online. 408 members and 10415 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X