X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjcek View Post
    Hey All,

Potential BPD applicant here.

Can you give me the run down on the current state of the department? (morale, futire outlook, promotion potential etc)

I also considering D.C Metro and MSP.

Thanks!

oh, and 1 more question-- once you are out of patrol in in a specialized unit, does BPD ever put you out to work patrol at times for whatever reason? Or are you strictly with your unit?
    My summary of BPD. It's what you make of it as in ANY department. The grass always looks greener on the other side but each department has their problems. The good thing about BPD even with all it's bad, is there is so much potential to do what you want.

That brings me to answering your last question about specialized units.. For the most part, with the exception of things like homicide, WATF, RATT, and I'm sure a few others, you could end up doing patrol at any time. Some examples is I know a few months ago and during the summer, the department had people with admin positions out on "foot" patrol in some of the more dangerous areas for a short time. There is also the times they disband units or reorganize units, where officers that worked undercover positions, were put back to patrol. Just beacuse you get into a specialized unit, does not mean you will never see patrol again. But, it's not like that happens all the time either so I don't want you to get the wrong idea.

JVegas.. Thanks for letting me know about the mail, hopefully it's not any late bills like my Best buy one a few weeks ago, whoops.. I'll pick that up this weekend and plan on my family and yours getting together for dinner one day this weekend... Why are we putting personal business on this forum and not just talking to each other? ha, oh well.

Merry Christmas everyone. For those of us that unfortunately have to work the holiday, stay safe!

Comment

• Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
      JVegas..Why are we putting personal business on this forum and not just talking to each other? ha, oh well.
      because you are a poop nose, thats why.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulPo View Post
        I've seen a dead Iraqis before, one was all burnt up, I could smell his burnt flesh and hair. Then there's a time when we found a foot, 10 feet down the road, an arm, 5 feet down the road, a torso, then few steps, a head. We think he stepped on a landmine. We called him a particle man. Just like you wheels, I thought it'd be more gruesome, but it wasn't.
        Yeah I've seen things much worse than that shooting. I responded to a double suicide when I rode with Baltimore County a few months ago. They laid down on train tracks and got split in a bunch of different pieces. We saw brains, feet hundreds of feet away from the body, arms missing, etc. Now that was as gruesome as I thought it would be, but it was still nothing that wasn't hard to look at. I've seen some pretty bad accidents down in Florida too, so the shooting definitely wasn't as bad as some of that. I'd imagine some of the shootings would be more gruesome than others though. It comes with the territory of being a police officer though.

This is great Christmas talk too hahaha

Comment

• searched the thread but couldnt find the answer...

Does BPD allow officers to carry a backup gun?

What is the standard issue service weapon?

Comment

searched the thread but couldnt find the answer...

Does BPD allow officers to carry a backup gun?

What is the standard issue service weapon?
            no and glock 22

Comment

Hey All,

Potential BPD applicant here.

Can you give me the run down on the current state of the department? (morale, futire outlook, promotion potential etc)

I also considering D.C Metro and MSP.

Thanks!

oh, and 1 more question-- once you are out of patrol in in a specialized unit, does BPD ever put you out to work patrol at times for whatever reason? Or are you strictly with your unit?
              The department is the department. My opinion, you make it what you want it to be. Some days are good, some are bad. You are eligible to take the test to get promoted to Sgt. once you have 3 years completed. Becoming a detective is NOT a promotion, no pay raise, etc.

The State Police is very different compared to DC and Baltimore. Figure out what you want to do in LE and make your choice there.

Yes, you can and will be detailed in Uniform everyonce in awhile. The work you may do can vary, crowd control, patrol, walk foot, etc. Whatever the brass deems as necessary. But you are assigned to your unit, it depends on who you fall under. Just because you work Flex (drugs) you technically still fall under Patrol, so therefore if they need you to work patrol, congrats, grab your uniform.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulPo View Post
                I've seen a dead Iraqis before, one was all burnt up, I could smell his burnt flesh and hair. Then there's a time when we found a foot, 10 feet down the road, an arm, 5 feet down the road, a torso, then few steps, a head. We think he stepped on a landmine. We called him a particle man. Just like you wheels, I thought it'd be more gruesome, but it wasn't.
                Dont worry, you'll see them. Wait for the call in the summer where they havent see the person for several weeks. Then when you pull up on scene, the files are on all the windows and you can smell him from the street.

All shotgun/ rifle suicide have been fun. But kids/babies will always SUCK.
                Last edited by NightStix; 12-25-2008, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• are BPD officers required to wear their hats when out of the car?

Comment

are BPD officers required to wear their hats when out of the car?
                    yes and no. i guess technically, you are supposed to wear it, however, it is not enforced. if you are out on a homicide/shooting, you should definitely try to have it on

Comment

• yea I noticed that when I was on my ride along the other day. They had some sort of cover on when they were on the shooting (most were wearing the cold weather boonie or whatever its called). The other calls that could have turned into someone running or having to go hands on they didn't really wear it.

Comment

are BPD officers required to wear their hats when out of the car?
                        You wear it anywhere there might be upper level brass (colonels and above) showing up and or media. Hence Shootings and Homicides like vegas said.

Or you can wear it anytime you please. I had an FTO back in the day who made me wear it all the time.
                        GO CAVS!!

Comment

• I saw on the website that the starting salary is 41K and the max is 66K. I was told that it takes about 25 years to max out though. So my question is how many years on does it take to get into the mid to upper 50's in salary? I couldnt find an actual salary schedule that included years of service.

Thanks

Comment

• any idea if recruiting is open this week, or are they closed until the new year?

Comment

• They were open today..

Comment

• Originally posted by NightStix View Post
                                The department is the department. My opinion, you make it what you want it to be. Some days are good, some are bad. You are eligible to take the test to get promoted to Sgt. once you have 3 years completed. Becoming a detective is NOT a promotion, no pay raise, etc.

The State Police is very different compared to DC and Baltimore. Figure out what you want to do in LE and make your choice there.

Yes, you can and will be detailed in Uniform everyonce in awhile. The work you may do can vary, crowd control, patrol, walk foot, etc. Whatever the brass deems as necessary. But you are assigned to your unit, it depends on who you fall under. Just because you work Flex (drugs) you technically still fall under Patrol, so therefore if they need you to work patrol, congrats, grab your uniform.
                                no extra pay for detectives??!! That's nuts. So they just stay at the regular PO salary schedule?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6323 users online. 349 members and 5974 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X