Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Academy is definantly pushed to the 6th, they want to extend it even further but that will most likely not happen. They have alot going on at Education and Training trying to prepare for the new POT's.

Comment

• Its a blast being assigned there, free parking, gym on premises, and alot of insight too the department. I know not to expect the good treatment for to long, I cant wait for the abuse!

Comment

• I was told that any POT has access to the gym at E&T... I have a gym at my complex so I usually use that but maybe I should stop by to actually use the facility offered since... it's offered.

I hope they stick to the 6th. I want to put the first few weeks behind me and to meet all of our other classmates. From those of you I've talked to on here and around the office, it's all good people thus far.

...I've had everyone telling me it doesn't matter if you can run a 6 minute mile or a 10 minute mile... They're gonna abuse us anyway! C: At least we'll all look good 6 months from now, haha!
        “Justice, sir, is the great interest of man on earth. It is the ligament which holds civilized beings and civilized nations together.” -Daniel Webster

Guess we'll find out just how blue my blood runs after PSI does their thing. Anything goes in pursuit of the badge...

Comment

• I just wanted to clarify a FEW things!

For the Cop Shop.. I've used them for the academy, for buying a gun, and for buying other items. If you are going to buy a glock, I encourage you to buy it from the cop shop, ESPECIALLY when you are in the academy because they give you an extra like $15 or so off (I don't remember exactly how much). I don't think you will find it cheaper when you are in the academy. After the academy, you may find it cheaper without that added discount. Although I've never had much of a problem personally with their friendliness and helpfulness, they can be a pretty big rip-off and think there are a lot of problems with "Dawn's Embroidery." But if you are going to buy holsters or any accessories, you can find them cheaper at other shops such as the ones JVegas has mentioned, but you can usually find anything cheaper through online anyways.

For off-duty Firearms, unless it's changed within two years ago, other non-Glocks were approved firearms, but it was slim pickins. I personally do not agree with that like I don't agree with their non backup guns but that's neither here nor there.

For the Law Enforcement Offier's Safety Act (LEOSA), formally known as HR218, you CAN CARRY any gun (other than those prohibited by the law) you want. If you want to carry a 1911, you CAN. If you want to carry a revolver, you CAN. HOWEVER, you legally are able to carry that but you are still DEPARTMENTALLY going against general orders. I'm unsure what the maximum punishment is for BPD but you can get in some serious trouble if they catch you carrying something that is not approved and you have not qualified on. They can and probably will punish you. If you get involved in a shooting, I hope it was a very clean shoot because the Department will throw you under the bus and in court they will make sure it's known that they did not approve of you carrying that weapon nor train you on it and you chose to carry and use it on your own. They will make sure they do not have any part of that.

For Name Taken, I'm not saying this for argument sake or anything like this, but you are incorrect on your assertion about the verbage with HR 218 and you can't carry what you want. If you want to PM me whenever you have the time you can show me what you are talking about and we can discuss this and straighten it out. Like I said, I'm not trying to argue but I've had this discussion and others about this bill and have hit this bill on a million angles and I just want to make sure the correct info is given out, that's all. If you prove me wrong, I will very humbly apologize and admit being wrong in the forum and make sure the proper info is given.

For what JVegas said about some of the ammo laws such as in NJ, I just wanted to clarify that as well. There was somewhat recently a new bill passed that amended the Law Enforcement Safety Act. Things changed such as aggregate years of service to carry as a retired Officer from 15 to 10, verbage to attempt to allow Civilian Military Police to be able to carry off-duty, and I'm almost positive they fixed the whole ammo issue in that bill. In New Jersey, only NJ LEO's could carry hollow point but it was against the law to carry anything other than hollow point ammo (Or something to that effect), so out of state Officers were SOL. But If I wasn't up for almost 24 hrs now I wouldn't be lazy and looked that bill back up, but if nobody does it for me to confirm what I am saying I will try to get to that tomorrow night when I get off of work. But I'm pretty sure the ammo thing is no longer a concern.

I know some of this stuff, such as what to carry and the laws surrounding it should be insignificant right now as many of you need to focus on actually getting hired. But I can understand because I'm a gun person and love guns and things like this such as off-duty carry ability, ability to carry a BUG on-duty, etc etc is somewhat important to me. So, I just wanted to make sure the correct and proper information is out. I am a Police Officer and NOT a lawyer. When it comes to LEOSA, I've studied up on it quite a bit and what it means and how it applies and am generally right about what I state about it. However, I am fine with admitting I could be wrong and anyone feels that I am wrong on any of the above, please let me know and we can figure it out so the correct information gets out and so I can have the correct information as well.

But now I'll end my novel here and get to bed. Hope some of this helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
            http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html

unless i missed it, theres nothing that mentions type of gun, except for no silencers, machine guns or destructive devices.

from: http://www.fop.net/legislative/issue...8/hr218faq.pdf

...My agency has a policy that does not allow me to carry my firearm while I am off-duty. Does this mean that this legislation will not benefit me?
            If you are a qualified active law enforcement officer, you are legally able to carry a firearm under 18 USC 926B. There may be agencies which enforce or adopt policies, rules, regulations, or employment conditions which discourage or punish officers which choose to carry while off- duty, but such actions do not mean that the officer cannot carry lawfully under the provisions of this statute.
            Your agency, however, can prohibit you from carrying your agency-issued weapon, which is the property of the governmental entity.

it also appears that Obama signed newer legislation that allows us to carry jhp ammo in jersey.

not saying it wouldnt be brought up in court, but technically you are fine.
            Didn't see this part which basically cuts out half of what I just stated in my super long rambling. But guess that helps clarify some of that up. nicely done Officer JVegas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lights&Sirens View Post
              I was told that any POT has access to the gym at E&T... I have a gym at my complex so I usually use that but maybe I should stop by to actually use the facility offered since... it's offered.
              Just a heads up- I believe theyll let you use the gym at the academy while you're a prehire. But once you start the academy, forget about it haha. Its pretty much a privilege reserved for the senior class.

Comment

• Originally posted by P71Ryan View Post
                You will be fine, I'm color blind also. Those tests are horrible!
                Thanx man, i feel a whole lot better about it now lol

And yea the lung capacity thing was terrible!
                Last edited by Nic820; 04-29-2011, 02:19 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
                  Didn't see this part which basically cuts out half of what I just stated in my super long rambling. But guess that helps clarify some of that up. nicely done Officer JVegas.
                  thats Detective, to you, Officer! hahahahaha

Comment

• @ BPDSteve

how can you speak on all the investiagtors and say most are lazy? You say BPD would hire ANYBODY and if you can't get in with BPD you can count out all other agencies. Well they hired hired you, what does your background look like???? I'm just saying!!!! Well i know for a fact that BPD puts in more applicants than any other agency in the State. Some are pushing over 15 to 205 apps a pop and more! Maybe your invest. had to pull strings to get you hired cause you're messed up...I mean you did say BPD would hire anybody!!! Maybe you should be reinvestigated!!!

Comment

• My arguement is qualifed on (a) firearm.

While A means any in this case I'm sure our department is going to make (A) sound like (the) firearm in their hearings. It's a 2 day pop for us I believe for the off duty firearm violation...and court is going to make you off to a rogue Rambo. While I agree carrying ANY firearm is within the law...they will try and screw you. Let alone a defense attorney who can show you have hours of training with your department of off duty firearm while your new shiney gun has zero hours of recorded training.

None the less...like anything else it'll be played out in case law.

When it comes to something as serious as me shooting someone off duty...I'll have my I crossed and T's dotted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                        My arguement is qualifed on (a) firearm.

While A means any in this case I'm sure our department is going to make (A) sound like (the) firearm in their hearings. It's a 2 day pop for us I believe for the off duty firearm violation...and court is going to make you off to a rogue Rambo. While I agree carrying ANY firearm is within the law...they will try and screw you. Let alone a defense attorney who can show you have hours of training with your department of off duty firearm while your new shiney gun has zero hours of recorded training.

None the less...like anything else it'll be played out in case law.

When it comes to something as serious as me shooting someone off duty...I'll have my I crossed and T's dotted.
                        I definitely can't argue with your logic and you are correct. The law says qualified with A firearm, opening up to being able to carry anything and not just THE firearm your agency has for you. Like I said, legally you can do it. I, personally, would advise AGAINST it and listen to your department because as you say, they will try to screw you because they don't want to be pulled into any court situation when they didn't qualify you nor give you their blessing. And you are opening yourself up to departmental punishment.

The Department I left after Baltimore didn't "bless" us with carrying off-duty and we could not carry their issued firearm. But they respected the law and had no problem with us carrying off-duty under that law. It was nice because I could carry anything I want but of course knew that I would have no backing from the agency. I'm lucky that my current department allows a WIDE variety of firearms to be qualified and carried both as a BUG and off-duty. In fact, I personally have not heard of anyone being denied with qualifying with any type of firearm.

So basically, just because you CAN do it, does not mean you SHOULD do it. Very wise just to follow departmental SOPs and you'll have a lot less to worry about!

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                          thats Detective, to you, Officer! hahahahaha
                          Oh snap. My apologies, DETECTIVE JVegas. It's obviously been too long. Call me when you have some free time so we can get together. I'm in your area quite a bit.

Comment

• anyone working in personnel or the academy have any word on whether or not the May 6th academy is gonna be pushed again

Comment

• E&T told my supervisor that it's probable we'll be pushed back again but there's no knowing for sure. Look for an e-mail Tuesday confirming our start date.
                              “Justice, sir, is the great interest of man on earth. It is the ligament which holds civilized beings and civilized nations together.” -Daniel Webster

Guess we'll find out just how blue my blood runs after PSI does their thing. Anything goes in pursuit of the badge...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lights&Sirens View Post
                                E&T told my supervisor that it's probable we'll be pushed back again but there's no knowing for sure. Look for an e-mail Tuesday confirming our start date.
                                Are they pushing it back because theres still opening's for it?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4324 users online. 272 members and 4052 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X