Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltimore City Police Department Q&A

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Iam80sBilly View Post
    Whats up Family?! I just came from The Cop Shop (very nice people, and unbeatable customer service). I was given a police academy survival manual from the owners wife (Dawn's Embroidery) and in covering the matierial read about the 3 pistols approved for conceal carry off duty. So under no circumstances off duty I could ever carry a 1911? or an XD? or a Judge? This doesnt make sense I hope this is outdated matierial!
    dont listen to what the cop shop (or what some BPD call the rob shop) tells you. they are over priced and trust me, as far as customer service goes, lousy compared to some other local shops. buy the necessities from them and then everything else, including off duty gun from either maryland police supply in rosedale or Lawman supply in clinton MD. if you do buy an off duty gun from the cop shop, dont let them charge you for the trigger work...the BPD armory does this for free.

    legally, under HB 218, you can carry any handgun you want to in any state (not federal property, and some ammo rules apply in New Jersey). departmentally, they will only have your back if its an approved gun. so if you shoot, be damn sure its a good shoot.

    the way i look at it is, pick a gun and learn to shoot it, reload it, and holster it. why not carry a glock 23 or 27? i have both and love them. i was never a glock guy until i starting shooting my dept. issued one. i wouldnt carry any thing else. a g27 can be concealed easier than a judge or 1911. why carry a revolver with 6 shots when you can carry a gun the same size with 9 or 13 (g23 mag in a g27)?

    a main reason for this is so that ammunition can be swapped amongst officers during a shoot out. they want you to have .40 ammo.
    Last edited by jvegas; 04-27-2011, 07:40 PM.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BlueChord11B View Post
      As it was explained to me you can only carry what you were trained with (glock .40cal) .. if you do get involved in an off duty shooting the dept won't back you unless it was a gun you were trained on .. this could be wrong, just how it was explained to me at a gun store today when I bought a 27
      from what i remember, there is a sig, springfield, and something else on the list for carry.

      Comment


      • I had a little problem with color blindness during my medical exam but ive been called back for other things by my backround investigator and this never came up.......... do you guys think they really care about that part of the medical exam, i can see normal colors fine but on the test i missed a couple numbers on the color blindness.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jvegas View Post
          dont listen to what the cop shop (or what some BPD call the rob shop) tells you. they are over priced and trust me, as far as customer service goes, lousy compared to some other local shops. buy the necessities from them and then everything else, including off duty gun from either maryland police supply in rosedale or Lawman supply in clinton MD. if you do buy an off duty gun from the cop shop, dont let them charge you for the trigger work...the BPD armory does this for free.

          legally, under HB 218, you can carry any handgun you want to in any state (not federal property, and some ammo rules apply in New Jersey). departmentally, they will only have your back if its an approved gun. so if you shoot, be damn sure its a good shoot.

          the way i look at it is, pick a gun and learn to shoot it, reload it, and holster it. why not carry a glock 23 or 27? i have both and love them. i was never a glock guy until i starting shooting my dept. issued one. i wouldnt carry any thing else. a g27 can be concealed easier than a judge or 1911. why carry a revolver with 6 shots when you can carry a gun the same size with 9 or 13 (g23 mag in a g27)?

          a main reason for this is so that ammunition can be swapped amongst officers during a shoot out. they want you to have .40 ammo.
          In my opinion, the price for Glocks at the Cop Shop is hard to beat. I bought a G27 for funsies and eventual summer off duty carry. The prices for other things are not that bad either. I check online for most everything that I buy and their prices are comparable with the police discount. I have no beef with them, but each his own.

          Comment


          • Thanks vegas and SFC,

            Max I think I'm going to come down for the first round of expedited testing after July 1. Get some blankets ready....lol.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jvegas View Post
              why carry a revolver with 6 shots when you can carry a gun the same size with 9 or 13 (g23 mag in a g27)?

              a main reason for this is so that ammunition can be swapped amongst officers during a shoot out. they want you to have .40 ammo.
              Because sir variety is the spice of life! Thanks for the advice tho. I 'll be sure to clarify this further in academy, once I get the privelidge to open my mouth.

              Comment


              • Jvegas is 100% right about the cop shop. They are a complete rip off on everything they sell. I would travel out of state for belt keepers before I bought them from that store. As for people that are still pending background investigations it all depends on your background investigator because you may have just got a lazy one. Don't believe for a second that they are waiting on any information or processing for you it is just pure laziness. When I was first hired I had to call and bug my investigator everyday for a week and a half before she got tired of me and finished my stuff up. Now there are some that will process you as quick as possible but for the most part, most of them are just lazy.

                Comment


                • Who in their right mind would want to use the JUdge as an off duty weapon?

                  I could make a logical arguement (and I'm sure a non friendly prosecuting attorney could) that HR 218 will not cover you if you are violating your departments carry rule.

                  I do not like glocks.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                    Who in their right mind would want to use the JUdge as an off duty weapon?

                    I could make a logical arguement (and I'm sure a non friendly prosecuting attorney could) that HR 218 will not cover you if you are violating your departments carry rule.

                    I do not like glocks.
                    218 doesnt say anything about having to carry your dept weapon/approved offduty... and you're right, any prosecuting attorney could argue against you for anything you do, not just dept regs. thats why if you are going to shoot off duty, you better be damn certain its good and there was no other option. another way around the GO is to get a gun permit through MSP. again, why carry a judge? its HUGE and the only advantage to shooting a .410 slug is in a home defense situation. in an off duty situation, you are always better off being a good witness.

                    to add, i think you (iam80sbilly) should focus on getting hired and passing the academy before you worry about off duty weapons. the range staff usually will not discuss off duty weapons until near the very end of your range time.
                    Last edited by jvegas; 04-28-2011, 06:55 AM.

                    Comment


                    • I do not have the tiem to post the verbage. But if you read 218 there is a sentance along the lines of "Having department approval". My Dept. will claim you werent approved to carry off duty with a weapon not on their list.

                      You'd be fine in MD under the law carrying any firearm...out of state it's my personal thoughts that they would jam you based off of the verbage.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by BadMaster View Post
                        Thanks vegas and SFC,

                        Max I think I'm going to come down for the first round of expedited testing after July 1. Get some blankets ready....lol.
                        Haha you already know you've got a spot on my couch bro lol

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                          I do not have the tiem to post the verbage. But if you read 218 there is a sentance along the lines of "Having department approval". My Dept. will claim you werent approved to carry off duty with a weapon not on their list.

                          You'd be fine in MD under the law carrying any firearm...out of state it's my personal thoughts that they would jam you based off of the verbage.
                          http://www.leaa.org/218/218text.html

                          unless i missed it, theres nothing that mentions type of gun, except for no silencers, machine guns or destructive devices.

                          from: http://www.fop.net/legislative/issue...8/hr218faq.pdf

                          ...My agency has a policy that does not allow me to carry my firearm while I am off-duty. Does this mean that this legislation will not benefit me?
                          If you are a qualified active law enforcement officer, you are legally able to carry a firearm under 18 USC 926B. There may be agencies which enforce or adopt policies, rules, regulations, or employment conditions which discourage or punish officers which choose to carry while off- duty, but such actions do not mean that the officer cannot carry lawfully under the provisions of this statute.
                          Your agency, however, can prohibit you from carrying your agency-issued weapon, which is the property of the governmental entity.

                          it also appears that Obama signed newer legislation that allows us to carry jhp ammo in jersey.

                          not saying it wouldnt be brought up in court, but technically you are fine.
                          Last edited by jvegas; 04-28-2011, 06:11 PM.

                          Comment


                          • I've gotten some additional information to potentially confirm the academy's delay tomorrow. Once again through a grapevine of trainees leading back to those detailed at the academy. Still won't know officially until tomorrow. I'd obviously recommend proceeding as planned though.
                            Last edited by Suicide Pace; 04-28-2011, 07:01 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Suicide Pace View Post
                              I've gotten some additional information to potentially confirm the academy's delay tomorrow. Once again through a grapevine of trainees leading back to those detailed at the academy. Still won't know officially until tomorrow. I'd obviously recommend proceeding as planned though.
                              That it's being delayed until May 6?

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Cheyne0531 View Post
                                That it's being delayed until May 6?
                                Yes. Keep in mind no official confirmation yet.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 9961 users online. 305 members and 9656 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X