300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
    You are saying that about Pennsylvania Ave? Let me tell you.. When I had to do foot on Pennsy in the Central District, only after being out every night for a couple weeks did it finally start dying down because they were sick of us messing with them. Even then they were still out all around, they just avoided us. Fast forward and working in the Western, Pennsylvania Ave. is still a prime spot for a bunch of calls and driving up and down (I work Midnights), for the first few hours the streets are definitely not considered a ghost town. And I don't know what stores you are talking about that close at 6pm... But you have all the corner stores, bars, food establishments open til' really late.

Don't mean to contradict you, just giving up info. from personal experience. It doesn't get quiet until 1ish give or take an hour depending on weather. 3-11 or 4-12 depending on the district, is by far the most busiest.. Again from my own experience fwiw.
    Word...Wonder what this idiots are doing at butt crack of dawn. I mean, don't they ever sleep? Then again, I guess they sleep during the daytime. I always see whole bunch of people drugged up and sleeping standing up (Baltimore lean! Baby!). Man, they have mad balances! I don't know how they don't fall! LOL! Thanks for your input! Much appreciated!

Comment

• Originally posted by dand2 View Post
      Read up on the lie behind the lie detector test.
      DONT do this. one question they will ask you is,"have you researched the polygraph?" you really do not want to answer yes to that... it looks like you may be trying to use countermeasure techniques. although, i do agree with you on the subject.

i am not sure if they will accept your application once they know that you were DQ'd. being dq'd usually means that you are permanently disqualified from that agency. i think you should try elsewhere. i was told that i "failed" a poly once. its most maddening experience. i went on to pass 4 others. if you really want to try with BPD, go ahead, just realize that they will have your past results and may not want to spend more money on you.
      Last edited by jvegas; 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulPo View Post
        Word...Wonder what this idiots are doing at butt crack of dawn.
        gettin out da gate! dawg. i cant start my day without coffee, they cant start their day without that gate hit.

Comment

I would try again if I were you. I wouldn't let the poly get you down. I may get bashed by the pro-poly peeps on this site.. The poly is just a tool used to scare you into being "completely honest". It's a 50/50 chance of passing it. There are many who have had false positives etc. Read up on the lie behind the lie detector test. It's not admissable in courts for a reason........It also gives them reason to rule out another person so they can move onto the next person..... And if you make it to another poly, stick to your guns, do not let the examiner make you nervous. Remember the process is a mind game....
          I say give it a try. What's the worst that can come from it, they say no thank you again? Well, its' gonna be a no if you don't try so at least you still have a chance if you do! When you are DQ'ed from an agency, a lot of times they have a waiting period before you can try again. Yes, they will most likely have the records of you applied before and failed for the reason you did. Just be truthful and explain yourself. Let them know that you still stand strong on you never even tried the drug and you are willing to re-take the poly to prove it.

As far as reading up on it, that's not a problem at all. I've taken a poly on the city level, the state level, and federal level. I've been asked if I researched the Poly once and I told them yes. It's not about what you have or what you haven't done, it's about being honest. If you read up on the poly you tell them why if they ask why. if they ask if it was because you were trying to figure ways to beat it, you answer truthfully and say no.. I took a poly and failed and they stated I lied about doing something I never even touched, so I was curious how the poly works that it could have came up with a false result. I know A LOT about how polygraphs work from reading up on them online and from taking quite a few.. I took the Federal Poly after all of this research and talk about intense.. but I still passed.

So, do what you want.. If it's your dream, let nothing hold you back. Go for the job and pass that Polygraph. Good luck.

Comment

• In my opinion there is nothing wrong with researching how the poly works. Just like everyone here researches the hiring process, how to answer questions in an oral board interview etc etc. I think it is important to know how the poly works. Because there are a lot of gullible people who will lose their own self confidence thinking they are liars if they fail the poly. Police use the poly as a tool to wiggle confessions out of those who do not understand the poly. You see it all the time on 48hrs detective show.. And for those who are being 100% honest yet the examiner pushes them for more info and saying that they are lieing..you just need to stick to your guns, don't sit there and think for a few minutes "gee is there something I am missing" because then the hesitation will make the examiner think you may have more to tell. You do what you have to do to get a job if you are passionate enough about it.......I think depts dqing people because of a failed poly is pretty crappy. If someone is such a bad person, they will have a record to show, your references will speak up or your neighbors they call. Your school records will show how much trouble you have done etc etc. But not all depts will DQ based on a bad poly.

When I get to the poly, will i say I researched it? Umm...Nope! Because yeah they can then say we used counter measures, you would just be giving them a reason to DQ you, on to the next candidate please......but since i personally think the poly is a farse, I will play the game as it has been suggested to me before.

Comment

When I get to the poly, will i say I researched it? Umm...Nope! Because yeah they can then say we used counter measures, you would just be giving them a reason to DQ you, on to the next candidate please......but since i personally think the poly is a farse, I will play the game as it has been suggested to me before.
              so you're gonna lie?

Comment

• Would I lie, no.....I saw it used on the Dr Phil show, it detected a lie..

That would be true, AND it would be what the examiner would like to hear. Rather than..yes I read many articles, asked many questions on officer.com and have seen on many detective shows that it is just a tool etc etc etc...

As it has been suggested in other phases....only answer the question and move on. Do not offer any more info than is needed to answer a question. It's part of the mind game process....this process is all about elimination to narrow down the applicant pool....

As I said, everyone lies....so I certainly don't think less of someone who does. It just depends on what their lieing about that is more important to me. WE all lie....it's a fact of life.....and no machine can detect it unless it can see my thoughts etc....which we don't have here in the US...though I wouldn't be suprised if Japan invented one.. they have all the fun toys!

My point is, if you fail, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, hold your head high and go back for round 2.
                Last edited by dand2; 12-19-2008, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Best advice I can give to anyone concerned with taking a polygraph... tell the truth. Don't lie, don't research, don't talk about the polygraph, here on the forums, at home, with other applications before you take the exam or afterwards and don't worry about it. Just get in there, relax, breathe normally and tell the truth and you should be fine.

Then decide for yourself (and keep it to yourself) what you think about polygraph examinations until you get the job!

Comment

• good advise, though i think there is nothing wrong with researching the process. It would be like going to an interview with out researching the company you applied to. The more you know the better prepared you will be and will have an idea what to expect. I would rather be over prepared than under prepared. Many people go through these processes with out researching anything and they go in so nervous. Once you understand how the process works it becomes easier to get through the interview and other phases. I had my oral board for a dept the other week and I can say after doing a lot of research it helped. I wasn't nervous one bit going into the interview and I listed carefully and answered the questions and I didnt babble on about this or that...i answered the questions..

The same when it comes to the poly for me. I will answer the questions, remain calm and in control of my emotions and pass the dang thing to move on.. Knowing what I know now about the poly i won't go in thinking...OMG what if i forgot something, can he see this blah blah....i can go in with a little more comfort in knowing that it can be a crap shoot with the poly.

When I was younger I used to be nervous about every single stage of the process until I ummmm got older and learned about what the process is really for and how it works.....

For me, research is important....but if your comfortable not knowing anything and try to go through the process then it's ok...do what YOU want to do to get you through the obstacle course in front of your career..

Comment

• getting hired

It's been a couple of days since the investigators came to my house. I hope I hear something soon. I am very anxious to find something out. Anyone else get any calls lately??

Comment

• Originally posted by ty614 View Post
                        It's been a couple of days since the investigators came to my house. I hope I hear something soon. I am very anxious to find something out. Anyone else get any calls lately??

they actually send investigators?????
                        "Sometimes there is Justice and sometimes there is Just Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by TigerWoody View Post
                          they actually send investigators?????
                          I know right.. I'm still waiting over a year later for someone to contact a reference or old job on my background haha. Let alone them have someone physically show up.

Comment

• Ty614 - you read it alot on this thread - but call down there. I had to delay starting on 12/29 and may not haven't gotten back on the list for 1/9 if I didn't keep calling. As you do, you find out people are off on Fridays, or this or that. Be ready to tell them what you haven't completed, i.e. the physical, etc. You had the poly, right? That's one of the big hurdles.

Comment

• so......you guys are talking about keep calling to check up on them...who are you guys calling? Do they assign you a BI and you guys call him/her? or the recruitment section officer?

Comment

• DITTO - to everything that has been said. I had to literally harass them on a daily basis to get the information that I needed. My guess is that you really need to stay in contact with your investigator because the holidays are here and a lot of them will be taking off during these next few weeks. The next class begins on 1/9/08 and it will be here before you know it. Good Luck, keep us posted!
                                Baltimore Police Department
                                **Finally :0)**

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18454 users online. 507 members and 17947 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X