300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ALGO View Post
    So about the pay as a new officer out of the academy can you work side jobs right away or not until your done with your FTO? I know after the academy is around $41,000 but is that before furlough days so its a little less then $40,000 that you really are bring home? And as a new officer out of the academy would it be easy to make an extra $10,00 in over time from the start? Im from New Jersey and was blown away with the pay scale for the city. NJ is going through some bad times right now with law enforcement layoffs. Up here you can make in the $70,000 in five years in some towns compared to Baltimores 26 year step. But the chances right now of getting picked up in NJ is around ZERO.
    'Side jobs' aren't that easy to come by. Like most jobs, it's who you know. (Secondaries are hard to come by). Although, you can hustle for City Wide O.T. if you desire. But not my choice. It will not be 'easy' to make 'x' amount of money in O.T. The city is cutting back and as such, that trickles down. Some Districts have/will cut out O.T. (patrol). Sure you can get lock up's for extra money, or "Collars for Dollars". But what does that say about you as an Officer? The system routinely lets criminals walk because it is overburdened. So, no need to add to that. And court O.T. can be had if you write traffic citations. However, you will only get court O.T. if you are on the 3-11 shift or overnights. And if you work overnights and your shift ends at 0700 or 0800, you are sitting around for an hour or two before court starts and you get paid. And that is after your shift (overnights) or before your shift 3-11 or 12-8. So, is the two hours of O.T. really worth it when it cuts into your off time that way? Only the individual can answer that I suppose. I'm only writing this to let others know how it is because I thought the same way before I joined. I assumed I could make up the difference in the pay cut taking this job but I have found it to be much different once on the other side.
    Ductus Exemplo

Comment

• I think the process is different for everyone as far as timeline goes. I went to the Women's Recruitment, which I believe was setup as an expedited application process. I took the civil service exam, came back about a week later for the PT test. After the written psych, I turned in my packet, had a quick sit-down with one of the officer's running the exam to check that everything was turned in properly. He told me that I'd probably get a call from my BI within the month, 2 weeks "if you're lucky." I actually got that call from my BI 6 days later and set up a day to go in for an interview with him.

During the interview, he scheduled me for my oral psych, polygraph, and physical at Mercy, and made a quick call to the Armory to see if I could take my Glock familiarization test (which I did, and I passed). I went back a few weeks later for the oral psych, then did the poly and physical a week later. This past Thursday, my BI came to see my apartment and talk to some of my neighbors, then turned in my packet for final processing. He said my chances were "excellent" and that I should get a call in a week or two with the final decision. If I'm approved, I have to go back to HQ to fill out some more paperwork and let them know if I need 2 weeks notice for my current employer, etc.

I started this whole process towards the end of December and am just about finished now so... just about 3 months, which is what I was told to expect if my paperwork was turned in promptly and there were no problems or issues that would require deeper investigation.

My BI also told me that my file was one of the smallest he has, and it can take longer to process you if you live with roommates or family, as your BI runs a background check on everyone in your household. I've heard that your process length can vary depending on who is assigned to your file. I was lucky, and got a fantastic BI who called me at least 3 times a week to let me know what was going on and any other paperwork or information he needed from me. I owe him a big, big "thank you."
      “Justice, sir, is the great interest of man on earth. It is the ligament which holds civilized beings and civilized nations together.” -Daniel Webster

Guess we'll find out just how blue my blood runs after PSI does their thing. Anything goes in pursuit of the badge...

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
        m-f, 8-4. sometimes that may change for details and other things, but its rare.
        We had to be there, ready to go by 0739. Which means your class should be in formation by no later than 0715 so you can be prepared for the day. That means that you should be at the academy by 0700 at the latest. Squad leaders and the Class Commander will/should be there by 0645. You will most likely stay after most days. It may be for only ten minutes or it could be thirty or more minutes. This is because certain things concerning the class and your training need to be addressed. Also, expect to be detailed. You may also have functions that require your attendance on the weekends. You will not be paid for staying late and you will not be paid to come in on the weekends when that is required. But keep in mind that your goal is to become a Police Officer and as such, you should be willing to put in the extra time without compensation to achieve that goal!
        Ductus Exemplo

Comment

• Does anyone have any info on the Willowbrook or Mt. Washington apartments? I'm looking at apartments in the area of the police academy.

Comment

• Originally posted by East Side View Post
            We had to be there, ready to go by 0739. Which means your class should be in formation by no later than 0715 so you can be prepared for the day. That means that you should be at the academy by 0700 at the latest. Squad leaders and the Class Commander will/should be there by 0645. You will most likely stay after most days. It may be for only ten minutes or it could be thirty or more minutes. This is because certain things concerning the class and your training need to be addressed. Also, expect to be detailed. You may also have functions that require your attendance on the weekends. You will not be paid for staying late and you will not be paid to come in on the weekends when that is required. But keep in mind that your goal is to become a Police Officer and as such, you should be willing to put in the extra time without compensation to achieve that goal!
            again, the academy hours are 8-4...roll call will always be 21 mins before your shift starts and end 12 minutes after, hence 0739-1612 (i.e. 8-4). sure, in the beginning you want to get there early, but theres no need as the academy progresses. my class was there and squared away by 0739. if the class is good, theres no need for class commanders and squad leaders to get there any earlier. if people in your class screw up, its the rest of the class's responsibility to talk to them, not the CM and SL's.

Comment

• Thanks ArmySFC, Greatly Appreciated....will continue to be patient.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYMike View Post
                Thanks ArmySFC, Greatly Appreciated....will continue to be patient.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueChord11B View Post
                  Does anyone have any info on the Willowbrook or Mt. Washington apartments? I'm looking at apartments in the area of the police academy.
                  Well, BPD doesn't actually issue you the Glock 22 until you graduate . . .

Comment

• ^^^^^^

Now that was Hilarious LMAO Well played sir.
                    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• +finished my background meeting today. was scheduled for the poly tomorrow, given dates for medical and psych. I'll be done with the process by the end of the month. this is moving so fast it's hard to stay up with it. was told about 45 days until the next class starts and i was in the running for that class.

Comment

• Originally posted by espantoon View Post
                        I live at [BLARRRRRRG!] .... Just a bunch of old people, jewish orthodox and other working families... I've never felt unsafe or uncomfortable here. Compared to living in FedHill, it's quieter and cleaner. Is there something going on in the area that I just don't know about? oO
                        Last edited by Lights&Sirens; 03-14-2011, 10:15 PM.
                        “Justice, sir, is the great interest of man on earth. It is the ligament which holds civilized beings and civilized nations together.” -Daniel Webster

Guess we'll find out just how blue my blood runs after PSI does their thing. Anything goes in pursuit of the badge...

Comment

im a little late but LMAO....
                          The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Comment

• Originally posted by Lights&Sirens View Post
                            I live at Willowbrook.... Just a bunch of old people, jewish orthodox and other working families... I've never felt unsafe or uncomfortable here. Compared to living in FedHill, it's quieter and cleaner. Is there something going on in the area that I just don't know about? oO
                            Nah, just making a joke. You might want to be careful about how much personal information you put on this forum. It can be read by anyone - including our friends who are presently being rehabilitated in any number of correctional facilities. Just a little food for thought as you make your way into the high paying, glamorous, and deeply appreciated ranks of police officers.

Comment

• Haha so is the neighborhood around the academy i.e Willowbrook, Brookview, and Cross County Manor relatively safe then? BTW thanks Lights&Sirens about the pm, I'm checking that place out next week.

Comment

Nah, just making a joke. You might want to be careful about how much personal information you put on this forum. It can be read by anyone - including our friends who are presently being rehabilitated in any number of correctional facilities. Just a little food for thought as you make your way into the high paying, glamorous, and deeply appreciated ranks of police officers.
                                :P So noted.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8252 users online. 207 members and 8045 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X