300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leohopefull90 View Post
    Jvega , GREAT pros and cons list thanks for the help. Only time will tell i guess which one to jump on first.
    i would still definitely go with who ever hires you first, and my list of cons may be pros for someone else, and vice versa.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmySFC View Post
      Come physically prepared for the academy is all I can say. The females have to keep up with the rest of the class and may Buddha help you if the instructors find that you slacked off between the time you took the agility and the time you start class.
      Well said. The academy is definetely paramilitary to the core, boot camp style. The Instructors (more like Drill Instructors) will not treat the ladies any different than the Men. Work out and then work out some more, because your ability to pass the pre-employment Physical Agility Test won't carry you through Hell Week. As JVEGAS wrote a couple pages back, the standards are much higher in the Academy. Good luck Ladies.
      Last edited by APO Jay; 03-12-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• So about the pay as a new officer out of the academy can you work side jobs right away or not until your done with your FTO? I know after the academy is around $41,000 but is that before furlough days so its a little less then $40,000 that you really are bring home? And as a new officer out of the academy would it be easy to make an extra $10,00 in over time from the start? Im from New Jersey and was blown away with the pay scale for the city. NJ is going through some bad times right now with law enforcement layoffs. Up here you can make in the $70,000 in five years in some towns compared to Baltimores 26 year step. But the chances right now of getting picked up in NJ is around ZERO.

Comment

• I read the city's contract the health care section so they pay you a one time $650.00 pay out ( once a year?) if you are on say your wife's insurance plan.

Comment

• Originally posted by ALGO View Post
            So about the pay as a new officer out of the academy can you work side jobs right away or not until your done with your FTO? I know after the academy is around $41,000 but is that before furlough days so its a little less then $40,000 that you really are bring home? And as a new officer out of the academy would it be easy to make an extra $10,00 in over time from the start? Im from New Jersey and was blown away with the pay scale for the city. NJ is going through some bad times right now with law enforcement layoffs. Up here you can make in the $70,000 in five years in some towns compared to Baltimores 26 year step. But the chances right now of getting picked up in NJ is around ZERO.
            you can start working secondary after FTO program. Its possible to make 10g's in OT you're first year. Just make good lock ups and go to court, and volunteer for the daily OT offered during the summer months in patrol.

Comment

• When we go for the out of state processing what does it actually consist of the recruiter wasn't very clear all i got out of it was that they deffinitely do the written and the agility. My question is do they do the polygraph and the psych all in the same day, and do i meet a BI that day or do i come back for that after i fill out the packet. Any information would be appreciated thanks in advance...And if anyone is going to be attending the out of state this month the 27th and 28th feel free to pm me.

Comment

• What are the police academy hours, schedule?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueChord11B View Post
                  What are the police academy hours, schedule?
                  m-f, 8-4. sometimes that may change for details and other things, but its rare.

Comment

• Irishman you will (from my conversation awhile ago) You wont do the Poly but you will do written&PT. Then interview one day and I believe your BI interviews you as well.
                    Anyone from the last expedited process want to chime in?
                    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• I took the written Psych, about 3 weeks ago and am waiting for a call from the detective, I guess the background takes from 3-6 weeks. We were instructed not to call, because it would not help. Should I call or just continue to wait? Does anyone know how long of a process it may be for me at this stage? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Written- 1/8/11-passed
                      Agility-2/6/11-passed
                      Psych - 2/16/11- ?

Comment

• Originally posted by NYMike View Post
                        I took the written Psych, about 3 weeks ago and am waiting for a call from the detective, I guess the background takes from 3-6 weeks. We were instructed not to call, because it would not help. Should I call or just continue to wait? Does anyone know how long of a process it may be for me at this stage? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Written- 1/8/11-passed
                        Agility-2/6/11-passed
                        Psych - 2/16/11- ?
                        At least a month if not more. Some in this board are still waiting after nearly a year. There isn't a set time at this point for you. Good luck.

Comment

• jcioccke- thank you i appreciate it, i am just trying to get a feel for what it is going to be like and as well i am a little nervous. I just dont know what to expect. Thanks for the insight much appreciated

Comment

• I was in the last expedited process. In two days I completed the test, physical, written psych and turned in all of my documents and application to one of the officers in recruitment. tomorrow i'm meeting with my BI to start the background process. I've waited a little over a month between starting the process and now.

Comment

• I'm in the same boat as you. Have my BI meeting coming up this month. Is the poly taken the same day as the interview with the BI or is that scheduled separately?

Comment

• Originally posted by APO Jay View Post
                                Well said. The academy is definetely paramilitary to the core, boot camp style. The Instructors (more like Drill Instructors) will not treat the ladies any different than the Men. Work out and then work out some more, because your ability to pass the pre-employment Physical Agility Test won't carry you through Hell Week. As JVEGAS wrote a couple pages back, the standards are much higher in the Academy. Good luck Ladies.
                                The academy is not paramilitary. It is quasi-pseudo paramilitary. The instructors are not Drill Instructors (That term is already reserved). And we had too many trainees hump out in "Hell Week" and still were allowed to stay, so color it as you may.
                                Ductus Exemplo

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15115 users online. 459 members and 14656 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X