300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
    Violent Crime Impact Section (falls under CID). in a nut shell, narcotics detectives (guns and drugs). our main goal is to target violent offenders and investigate their dealings. sometimes, we assist DEA (like you saw on the news yesterday) and other Federal Agencies that have interest in the city, by helping them execute search and seizure warrants, listen to wire taps, etc... most of the time, we drive around looking for people armed with guns either walking, or in cars, or people selling drugs on the corner. at the end of the day, we are really trying to get guns.

i do not have a degree, so that doesnt matter for getting into a specialized unit. it depends on what path you take. if your goal is homicide, you'll want to focus on handling crimes like, B&Es and robberies while in patrol. if you can manage to convince the District detective unit to let you run with the case and you solve it, you might be able to get into DDU. from DDU, if you put down your cases and work hard, Homicide is the next step.

if you want to work drugs and guns, then while in patrol you'll want to concentrate on drug dealers and guns. make some good arrests in patrol and then move into a district OPs unit (Flex, DEU, Housing, Monument St Initiative) or VCIS.

the average time for a hard worker to get a new assignment is probably 2 years. some get it in under 1, some over 2, and some never. again, i was lucky. i got an FTO who came from VCID (now vcis), he taught me the ropes. I then went back to that same shift after the Ghost Shift. It was the same time as new Sgts were being promoted. I got a new Sgt who came from VCID. He recognized that i worked and we got along well. 2 months later, he went to Monument St and took me with him. I was in monument st for over 1.5 years and then went to VCIS.

Thank you sir for the informative post. I'm sure jcioccke was correct in saying that you're an asset to the agency.

Comment

• ^^^^

Dude I am always right and I stayed at a Holiday Inn' last night
      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
        ^^^^^

Just an FYI

Jvegas is very modest from what I have been told by older members he busted his as-, chose the right attitude and work ethic everyday going to work. When he was at work he worked, and excelled at what he did. Sorry Vega but you deserve some credit my friend you just didn't get moved to VCIS because you had time in and that is coming from your peers.

On top of that he is in here helping all new recruits achieve their dream.
        wouldnt say im modest, but thanks. now im curious to know who you talked to!

Comment

• Been reading this thread from day one brother and It's your peers that put it out there from the day you got on to now. Plus someone PM me awhile ago, when you and I first started talking; I wish I had who it was. They spoke the world of you and your work ethic and why you are where you are today. On top of that we have chatted a bit on PM and a man’s writing, words he chooses has a lot to say about his character. I need to stop and save some of this kindness for my wife lol
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
            ^^^^^

Just an FYI

Jvegas is very modest from what I have been told by older members he busted his as-, chose the right attitude and work ethic everyday going to work. When he was at work he worked, and excelled at what he did. Sorry Vega but you deserve some credit my friend you just didn't get moved to VCIS because you had time in and that is coming from your peers.

On top of that he is in here helping all new recruits achieve their dream.
            Yeah you guys were extremely helpful on this forum, and helped a lot so I can say with tremendous gratitude, thank you .. I followed this thread from the day I took the written til now and it's worked out amazingly for me (Enough that I got the call on my 21st B-Day )

Comment

• HELP ME lol all this talk about help......I Finished my process for MSP and should be receiving my final offer in writing next week (spoke to recruitment) an offer to attend the Academy for March 28th (IN TWO WWEEKS) BUT next week im also done with my process for Baltimore City....to the point...which one is better? i know MSP has its benefits and so does b-more, i always wanted to work with drugs and guns and i know baltimore doesnt lack any of that but at the same time the training and the respect MSP is known for is by far unbeatable....i also know the rule of thumb is take whoever picks you first, but is it possible to jump ship during the academy? (if i'd even want to jump ship TWO GREAT AGENCIES) sooo any opinions?

Comment

• It's possible to leave an academy a few weeks into it and go to another. Just do some reading. I believe BCPD makes you sign a contract and you might be liable for some costs to leave on a whim with no notice.

Honestly I personally would have to go to MSP but I havent been employed by either of your options so take it for what it is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Magz19
                  Hey everyone! I'm obviously new here (posts so far... 1 I took the written test at the end of feb and will be attending the women's 2 day event... I was scheduled for physical testing march 19, and since the q&a womens event is march 18, figured I should go. At least I don't have to take the written test on Friday, so that's a plus! Any other females on here/going? Boys on here (seems to be mostly guys), thanks for all the info in this thread... I've been reading it for weeks since I found it and have been waiting to be cleared by the mods to post. It's been extremely informative and helpful!
                  As I stated a couple posts earlier I'll be there for the womens event. Seems us girls are far and few between on the board

Comment

• Originally posted by Leohopefull90 View Post
                    HELP ME lol all this talk about help......I Finished my process for MSP and should be receiving my final offer in writing next week (spoke to recruitment) an offer to attend the Academy for March 28th (IN TWO WWEEKS) BUT next week im also done with my process for Baltimore City....to the point...which one is better? i know MSP has its benefits and so does b-more, i always wanted to work with drugs and guns and i know baltimore doesnt lack any of that but at the same time the training and the respect MSP is known for is by far unbeatable....i also know the rule of thumb is take whoever picks you first, but is it possible to jump ship during the academy? (if i'd even want to jump ship TWO GREAT AGENCIES) sooo any opinions?
                    Let's assume both agencies offered you employment at the same time...

you need to decide which career path you would most be happy with. Ditch the respect and training. I promise you that law abiding citizens in MD and even out of state respect BPD guys just as much, if not more, than Troopers. The media loves to slam BPD, thats all. That is the case with any large, politically run Dept. Those things wont matter if you are miserable everyday. You need to think 10 years down the line. Weight the pros and cons. Community based policing in a fast paced, handle every type of call, environment. OR, more traffic oriented (unless you go to a full service barrack), chance of being detailed any where in the state, live-in academy.

you will have opportunity in MSP to get drugs and guns. Traffic stops are perfect for that, if you are in the right area, whereas with BPD you can do traffic half your day and the other half you can do street rips, covert from a vacant house, etc...

both agencies have their specialized units, but im sure its harder to get into one with MSP.

With BPD, after 3 years you can test for Sgt and could be making 66k base. The chances of that with MSP are slim to none. BPD promotes about 60 Sgts every two years. 30 at a time. After two years of being a Sgt, you can test for Lt.

MSP has the take home cars, but that can be taken away at any time. With the economy, who knows the long term plans with that program.

BPD can make you repay money if you leave before you are off probation. Normally they dont make you pay, but with the economy i could see them doing so.

I thought i wanted to be a trooper. I applied there first. THANK GOD they DQ'd me. Looking back and seeing what i do now, i would have been bored with MSP.
                    Last edited by jvegas; 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Haha well after being only one of two girls that were present when I took the written test last month and then being the only one to pass and move on with the men, these guys on here should be a cake walk for us! Just kidding boys ;-)

On a serious note though, and this is for anyone... For an event like the women's day (or anything like it) I'm assuming it's the same attire as any other day you go in to take the test... Aka, business attire? Also, for the physical testing, they said to bring no paperwork (just license) and show up at HQ... So what do they do, bus you to a track? Because if my memory serves me right (I don't have the paperwork in front of me) the address at the bottom of the sheet containing the physical requirements is different than that of the HQ. And does the physical testing take all day (depending on the number of ppl present?)
                      ALWAYS BUSINESS ATTIRE! unless they specifically tell you otherwise. If they are having you meet at HQ for the agility testing, you will be doing the test on the same floor as the written (personnel). you will do the run around the war memorial in front of city hall. if they told you to meet at the academy, there is a track close by. It is possible that they will bus you out to the academy, but more than likely, they will just test you at HQ.

Good luck, ladies.

Comment

Haha well after being only one of two girls that were present when I took the written test last month and then being the only one to pass and move on with the men, these guys on here should be a cake walk for us! Just kidding boys ;-)

On a serious note though, and this is for anyone... For an event like the women's day (or anything like it) I'm assuming it's the same attire as any other day you go in to take the test... Aka, business attire? Also, for the physical testing, they said to bring no paperwork (just license) and show up at HQ... So what do they do, bus you to a track? Because if my memory serves me right (I don't have the paperwork in front of me) the address at the bottom of the sheet containing the physical requirements is different than that of the HQ. And does the physical testing take all day (depending on the number of ppl present?)
                        Just wanted to say "hi" before I dive into this one... I've been stalking this board since I started my process but registered recently and had to wait ages to be approved by moderators... Anyway, thanks to all the officers and applicants on here for asking and answering tons of questions--This has been so incredibly helpful! I've just been moved into final processing (fingers crossed!)

Back to the question... I did the expedited processing for the Women's Recruitment as well, and they had us meet at HQ and run the park path outside City Hall. Everything else was handled inside the same room you take your written tests. Always (always, always!) business attire, save for your PT day. The test didn't take all day, but be prepared to be there a few hours (or more) depending on how many people are testing. I went with a pretty large group so each event took a while to finish. Bring water! Good luck

I know someone had also asked a question about housing way-back-when... I've lived in the county, downtown, and now in Mt. Washington, and I like Mt. Washington the best. I PM'd someone who had asked about where to live earlier, but if anyone wants any info on a nice, affordable apartment complex close to the Academy (I lucked out on that one...), let me know!

Good luck to everyone, and thanks again for all the help I've found here.
                        “Justice, sir, is the great interest of man on earth. It is the ligament which holds civilized beings and civilized nations together.” -Daniel Webster

Guess we'll find out just how blue my blood runs after PSI does their thing. Anything goes in pursuit of the badge...

Comment

I looked up the war memorial... Wow, it looks like i should prepare myself for a bazillion little laps... Almost as bad as running in a gym. Who would have thought I'd miss a track this much? ;-) Oh well. Shut up and do what you gotta do.
                          i think its 9 laps...and just under 1.5 miles.

Comment

I looked up the war memorial... Wow, it looks like i should prepare myself for a bazillion little laps... Almost as bad as running in a gym. Who would have thought I'd miss a track this much? ;-) Oh well. Shut up and do what you gotta do.
                            Haha yeah bunch of little laps sounds so boring. I need to practice running without music this week :/ But like you said do what you have to do lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by db132 View Post
                              Haha yeah bunch of little laps sounds so boring. I need to practice running without music this week :/ But like you said do what you have to do lol.
                              dont worry. if you have a pulse, your adrenaline will carry you those 9 laps.

Comment

• Jvega , GREAT pros and cons list thanks for the help. Only time will tell i guess which one to jump on first.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9792 users online. 279 members and 9513 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X