300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueChord11B View Post
    jvegas .. let me know about the ride alone cause that would be awesome .. what do you guys take home on average per year with OT included? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to be living on since it's going to be a substantial pay cut from the military.
    the unit im with now, everyone made at least 90 last year. the newest guy graduated with me and the "oldest" has about 15 years on. My new Sgt. made over 110

Comment

• Originally posted by db132 View Post
      I know a girl posted on this thread before awhile back, but since then its been kind of quiet. Was wondering if anyone was going to the Womens 2 day event thing. Also for anyone (male or female) in the process already or in the department how does the morale for females seem? How do women seem to do during the academy?
      the women in my class were on par with the men. we had a few fat women and a few fat men, and then we had outstanding women and outstanding men. morale for females is no different than for men, IMO. its the same job with the same benefits and down sides. a hard working female who separates work from personal life probably has a better chance of getting into a specialized unit than a male.

Comment

I know a girl posted on this thread before awhile back, but since then its been kind of quiet. Was wondering if anyone was going to the Womens 2 day event thing. Also for anyone (male or female) in the process already or in the department how does the morale for females seem? How do women seem to do during the academy?
        Come physically prepared for the academy is all I can say. The females have to keep up with the rest of the class and may Buddha help you if the instructors find that you slacked off between the time you took the agility and the time you start class.

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
          the women in my class were on par with the men. we had a few fat women and a few fat men, and then we had outstanding women and outstanding men. morale for females is no different than for men, IMO. its the same job with the same benefits and down sides. a hard working female who separates work from personal life probably has a better chance of getting into a specialized unit than a male.
          Thank you. I like to be in with the guys and not have preferential treatment. I just wanted to get a heads up on whether I am going to have to deal with a whole bunch of knuckleheads who think women have no place in law enforcement. I'm sure I'll run into a couple, but nice to know as an agency things seem to be in the right direction.

Comment

Thank you. I like to be in with the guys and not have preferential treatment. I just wanted to get a heads up on whether I am going to have to deal with a whole bunch of knuckleheads who think women have no place in law enforcement. I'm sure I'll run into a couple, but nice to know as an agency things seem to be in the right direction.
            check out the BPD Media unit on youtube. they have a few videos up geared towards female recruiting. Off. Mahoney, the short haired blonde, in one video was in my class.

Comment

• Originally posted by APO Jay View Post
              YOU WILL NEVER SEE THAT WORD TYPED AGAIN!!! lmao
              Its cool I know its what you guys gotta do I aint that far removed from it. lol that still doesn't stop me everytime I go to academy to say stop calling me sir to every trainee.
              Neither a Republican nor Democrat, both parties are hopelessly flawed.

RIP to all my fallen brothers and sisters in blue I hope one day I can live up to your legacies because you live forever in my mind.

To anyone non-LEO don't get it twisted. Us officers may disagree on politics, sports, and any other issue but we will always be brothers and sisters at the end of the day and have each others back. To think otherwise is stupid.

Comment

the unit im with now, everyone made at least 90 last year. the newest guy graduated with me and the "oldest" has about 15 years on. My new Sgt. made over 110
                That's really good .. I thought I was going to be stuggling with 1100 every two weeks for the first few years.. are you working VCID or Monument?

Comment

• Vegas how long do you have on the job?

Comment

• Originally posted by bluechord11b View Post
                    that's really good .. I thought i was going to be stuggling with 1100 every two weeks for the first few years.. Are you working vcid or monument?
                    vcis

Comment

• Originally posted by ALGO View Post
                      Vegas how long do you have on the job?
                      In my 4th year.

Comment

vcis
                        That's gotta be an awesome time.. vcis is the main reason I took BPD over the other job I was offered with a smaller dept, that's where I hope to end up one day .. how do you like it as opposed to patrol?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueChord11B View Post
                          That's gotta be an awesome time.. vcis is the main reason I took BPD over the other job I was offered with a smaller dept, that's where I hope to end up one day .. how do you like it as opposed to patrol?
                          i have been out of patrol for a while...was only in it for about 10 months and over half of that was in a detail that moved to a new district every 2-3 months. i honestly didnt mind patrol. i had a great squad, Sgt, and Lt. vcis is fun, but the same thing i was doing in Monument St, and my new area borders my old area from monument st.

Comment

vcis
                            If you don't mind me asking. What exactly does VCIS stand for? Mission? etc? Also how long were you in patrol? I was talking to an individual who said he's seen folks with degrees get into investigation units (homicide) in under 4 years. Would you say that's normal or a "special case"?

Comment

• ^^^^^

was only in it for about 10 months and over half of that was in a detail that moved to a new district every 2-3 months. i honestly didnt mind patrol.
                              Just an FYI

Jvegas is very modest from what I have been told by older members he busted his as-, chose the right attitude and work ethic everyday going to work. When he was at work he worked, and excelled at what he did. Sorry Vega but you deserve some credit my friend you just didn't get moved to VCIS because you had time in and that is coming from your peers.

On top of that he is in here helping all new recruits achieve their dream.
                              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDougal View Post
                                If you don't mind me asking. What exactly does VCIS stand for? Mission? etc? Also how long were you in patrol? I was talking to an individual who said he's seen folks with degrees get into investigation units (homicide) in under 4 years. Would you say that's normal or a "special case"?
                                Violent Crime Impact Section (falls under CID). in a nut shell, narcotics detectives (guns and drugs). our main goal is to target violent offenders and investigate their dealings. sometimes, we assist DEA (like you saw on the news yesterday) and other Federal Agencies that have interest in the city, by helping them execute search and seizure warrants, listen to wire taps, etc... most of the time, we drive around looking for people armed with guns either walking, or in cars, or people selling drugs on the corner. at the end of the day, we are really trying to get guns.

i do not have a degree, so that doesnt matter for getting into a specialized unit. it depends on what path you take. if your goal is homicide, you'll want to focus on handling crimes like, B&Es and robberies while in patrol. if you can manage to convince the District detective unit to let you run with the case and you solve it, you might be able to get into DDU. from DDU, if you put down your cases and work hard, Homicide is the next step.

if you want to work drugs and guns, then while in patrol you'll want to concentrate on drug dealers and guns. make some good arrests in patrol and then move into a district OPs unit (Flex, DEU, Housing, Monument St Initiative) or VCIS.

the average time for a hard worker to get a new assignment is probably 2 years. some get it in under 1, some over 2, and some never. again, i was lucky. i got an FTO who came from VCID (now vcis), he taught me the ropes. I then went back to that same shift after the Ghost Shift. It was the same time as new Sgts were being promoted. I got a new Sgt who came from VCID. He recognized that i worked and we got along well. 2 months later, he went to Monument St and took me with him. I was in monument st for over 1.5 years and then went to VCIS.
                                Last edited by jvegas; 03-11-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 18282 users online. 461 members and 17821 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X