300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im currently MPCTC certified.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

• I passed the Poly. The physical at Mercy is the last thing. Any buzz about the next academy? My BI only confirmed the Nov. academy that started this week.

Comment

• Does anyone here know what police cadets do?

Comment

• Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
          Im currently MPCTC certified.
          Then you should only have to go through a lateral class. Thats what I would assume.

Originally posted by DRSJCP View Post
          I passed the Poly. The physical at Mercy is the last thing. Any buzz about the next academy? My BI only confirmed the Nov. academy that started this week.
          The class starts this friday, Nov. 21. I've only heard that they are "trying" to push one more class this year.

Originally posted by Nick09 View Post
          Does anyone here know what police cadets do?
          Their jobs range in various aspects of the department. There are some at Evidence Control (submitting evidence, retrieving evidence, etc.) There are some at the quartermaster (receiving/changing property for the officers). Some are at the Hot Desk (Checking warrants, etc.)

Comment

• Do baltimore officers work two to a car?
            Are patrol officers issued shotguns or rifles? (if so what kind)

Comment

• If you see a regular patrol car occupied more than once it's either a trainee and his FTO or two trainees and two FTO's as was my case last night. Also a lot of the districts are short on cars because of accidents and repairs. They will double triple AND quad you up in those cases. So all that to say, generally no. You wont have a partner. Patrol officers are not issued rifles. There is a single designated car that has the shotgun in the trunk.

Comment

• anyone know which instructors are still at the academy? hit me up

Comment

• Originally posted by Icekold View Post
                  Also a lot of the districts are short on cars because of accidents and repairs. They will double triple AND quad you up in those cases. So all that to say, generally no.
                  Haha, man that's crazy. I thought **** was rough for the guys out here. On another note, does the department offer a lat program for out of state cops?

Comment

• Originally posted by MorseAve1134 View Post
                    Haha, man that's crazy. I thought **** was rough for the guys out here. On another note, does the department offer a lat program for out of state cops?
                    only if you meet mptc standards. you need to call a recruiter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Icekold View Post
                      If you see a regular patrol car occupied more than once it's either a trainee and his FTO or two trainees and two FTO's as was my case last night. Also a lot of the districts are short on cars because of accidents and repairs. They will double triple AND quad you up in those cases. So all that to say, generally no. You wont have a partner. Patrol officers are not issued rifles. There is a single designated car that has the shotgun in the trunk.
                      LMAO!

Comment

• Was up at E&T today. The new class is HUGE. Like 60 to 65 people. AND they're starting a new class before the end of Dec so any who were worried about the cuts and all, keep your hopes up. There's plenty of time to get you in. Oh yea and of all the people I saw today, the one guy I remember most was from the Watershed Police or something like that. Poor guy has this HUGE round hat. I cant wait to find out the nickname he gets because of that thing.

Comment

• baltimore doing a speedy process for december

So I took the written in Nov...but was going to wait until after the new year to take the agility to make sure i am fit for the test. I am fit and can pass most of the test with no issues, but was having an issue with the run. Mostly my calves get very sore and I am only doing the run in 16.5-17minutes. Baltimore agility standard is 16.28..

Anyway I got a call today from the Baltimore PD and the officer said they are rushing the process to be completed by Dec 19th. She wanted me to come to a 4 day process. She said they have a quota or something to meet by the 19th. When I told her I was not at the level I want to be at as far as the run....she said don't let that stop me as they give you at least a 1 min over lap in time. So if I did not make it in 16.28 min that I have until 17.28 min to complete the run. Since my runs are around 16.50 min I shouldn't have an issue with that. I was a bit suprised about their rush to hire people....

Other depts have so many applicants they take their time, but BPD seems to really push things through...is their turn over rate that high? Or is it that difficult to find decent officers? I know during my written test, half failed it, I thought the test was a piece of cake and I suck at tests....

I am going to go through the process anyway, at least It's an opportunity. BPD was not my first option, I am not to keen on working for such a large city...but this is a foot in the door so I think I will run with it....

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by dand2 View Post
                            So I took the written in Nov...but was going to wait until after the new year to take the agility to make sure i am fit for the test. I am fit and can pass most of the test with no issues, but was having an issue with the run. Mostly my calves get very sore and I am only doing the run in 16.5-17minutes. Baltimore agility standard is 16.28..

Anyway I got a call today from the Baltimore PD and the officer said they are rushing the process to be completed by Dec 19th. She wanted me to come to a 4 day process. She said they have a quota or something to meet by the 19th. When I told her I was not at the level I want to be at as far as the run....she said don't let that stop me as they give you at least a 1 min over lap in time. So if I did not make it in 16.28 min that I have until 17.28 min to complete the run. Since my runs are around 16.50 min I shouldn't have an issue with that. I was a bit suprised about their rush to hire people....

Other depts have so many applicants they take their time, but BPD seems to really push things through...is their turn over rate that high? Or is it that difficult to find decent officers? I know during my written test, half failed it, I thought the test was a piece of cake and I suck at tests....

I am going to go through the process anyway, at least It's an opportunity. BPD was not my first option, I am not to keen on working for such a large city...but this is a foot in the door so I think I will run with it....

Dan
                            When I did my initial PT test after the exam there were a few people that had the same running issues as you. Whats gonna happen is this, you'll be allowed to start on the 19th but this will come with the stipulation that after your PT exam that you will take on the 19th you must report either before or after the normal academy day for remedial PT. Avg. 75 to 80% of my class and the following 3 classes had remedial so dont feel bad. Word is that these lenient Physical requirements are on the way out.

I'm gonna be straight with you in regard to running. If you hate to run or if you are the type that will only run if you have to...this is gonna be a miserable 6 months for you. You WILL run. FAR and hard. A certain PT instructor is gonna give you all that you've been missing.(Ft. Mchenry from Guilford anyone?) Don't get me wrong, the runs arent really that bad. But if you dont run at all make it a bit easier on yourself and start now. Don't wait. the next 3 weeks is plenty of time to prepare yourself.

A perfect start for you non-runners is something like this... http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smar...-278-0,00.html

As for the whole testing and the "rush" thing. Don't have the idea that BPD is hiring just anyone who walks through their door. Not hardly. Also the background investigatory process does not end just because you've started the academy. It's on-going and I personally witnessed a classmate being removed due to things discovered after we started. Do people slip through? Yes they do. But the same applies to some of the "slower" departments. Now I'm sure there may be someone on here that can give you a more sound or experienced view on the matter but you're kinda questioning the men and women that you'll need to back you up one day and vice versa. I doubt how easy the test was will matter as you reach for that little orange button that'll bring us all running to get those 6 old ladies off you that are kicking your *** . I've taken a couple of the harder police exams (DC Metro Transit and Md National Capitol Parks and Planning) and speaking with some of the other guys that passed at the time, a lot considered Baltimore too "crazy" or "Wild". Basically scared of the city. I'd rather have the guys that took the easy test who's not afraid to clear a corner next to me than the ones who passed the harder one but wouldn't even consider the city because he thinks it's too tough for him. Bottom line is this, things arent always what they seem. Good luck on your PT test bro.

Comment

• I just want to say that I got nothing but respects for B-more PDs. I'd like to elaborate more on it but I'm late for the test.

Comment

• balt

Well I would hope they are hiring good caliber people and not just rushing anyone threw. But there are a lot of people who are not the best runners, but good physically in every other regard. I can sprint fast, I am strong as an ox but for running over a mile my little legs tend to not like it so much.

Just to bring things into perspective, In sept I started working out in muay thai kickboxing. It is such a hard rigourous work out. I weighed close to 220lbs. I am 5'5BTW. I also started running in Sept as well. I could not even complete half a lap around the track. It was pathetic. I would get out of breath just walking up the stairs. But since i have been doing the muay thai 4-5 days a week it has eccelled my ability to run longer.

Now yesterday, I ran and i ran hard and my lungs burned like a mother, but i made the 1.5 mile in 16 min flat. So I am getting there, it is just taking some time, and right now my biggest issue is the soreness in my lower legs. So for me running more than 3 days a week is tough. I think i may need to see a foot dr or something maybe my shoes are not proper for my feet.

And before anyone says your 5'5 and 220? You fat *****. I Am now 5'5 and 205....with 17inch solid arms and large broad shoulders etc. I used to lift weights for muscle growth and to build size...but the trainers at my gym always told me to focus on losing the fat first and then work on the muscle bulk. Since being chubby adds weight, muscle adds a lot more...

Anywho, I am in the best shape now than I have been in the last 10 years. I am just hoping by the time i get to the academy, if I get there that is, that my legs will be more welcoming to running than I am..

I heard the academy is a piece of cake from a few mont county officers but we'll see.

Dan

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6372 users online. 323 members and 6049 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X