Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Private_I; 08-23-2012, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Maybe you want to reach out to a recruiter first and ask them about what's jamming you up. Is this the 3rd agency that DQ you?
      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• 3rd agency really isn't too bad. Some get lucky and get the first one, many don't. It's pretty easy to get jammed up by a recent ticket on an otherwise clean driving record, or get dq'd temporarily for something you may not have realized would be an issue.

Put in as many apps as you can, have multiple apps working at the same time, and take the first offer you get. With economy where it is, police work is more competitive than ever to get into. I've got co-workers now talking about putting in applications to one of the agencies ive applied with now that they know the salary. Two years working with them, knowing I've wanted police work the whole time, they never showed interest until they found out about the money. Just saying...plenty of people out there looking at these jobs, no one is a shoe-in. Cast as big a net as you can, take the first offer if you really want the life.
        use my trueprotein.com discount code for 5% off- MTD244

Comment

• Originally posted by SportsterChop View Post
          3rd agency really isn't too bad. Some get lucky and get the first one, many don't. It's pretty easy to get jammed up by a recent ticket on an otherwise clean driving record, or get dq'd temporarily for something you may not have realized would be an issue.

Put in as many apps as you can, have multiple apps working at the same time, and take the first offer you get. With economy where it is, police work is more competitive than ever to get into. I've got co-workers now talking about putting in applications to one of the agencies ive applied with now that they know the salary. Two years working with them, knowing I've wanted police work the whole time, they never showed interest until they found out about the money. Just saying...plenty of people out there looking at these jobs, no one is a shoe-in. Cast as big a net as you can, take the first offer if you really want the life.
          being DQ'd by multiple agencies is BAD. DQ is different than being turned down but apply to reapply later. generally, a DQ is not a temporary thing, its permanent. please be really honest with yourself and think back to what you have put in your background packets. if you want to, PM me and be completely honest with all negative aspects of your background. i will look at it and give you my thoughts. BPD is one of the easier depts to pass the minimum requirements and not be DQ'd. drug use, domestic violence and other major criminal activity are the biggest things that will DQ you.

now, if you have applied 3 times and 1 DQ'd and the others just rejected you, theres nothing to worry about. My 4th time got me hired.

Comment

• Anyone know how long is the background interview? I'm assuming it's much shorter than the written psych... just want to be clear

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
              being DQ'd by multiple agencies is BAD. DQ is different than being turned down but apply to reapply later. generally, a DQ is not a temporary thing, its permanent. please be really honest with yourself and think back to what you have put in your background packets. if you want to, PM me and be completely honest with all negative aspects of your background. i will look at it and give you my thoughts. BPD is one of the easier depts to pass the minimum requirements and not be DQ'd. drug use, domestic violence and other major criminal activity are the biggest things that will DQ you.

now, if you have applied 3 times and 1 DQ'd and the others just rejected you, theres nothing to worry about. My 4th time got me hired.
              True, there are things that will DQ you for life- obviously any one of various criminal acts will permanently DQ someone. I would think domestic violence would be permanent as well. However, "certain amounts" (departments may set their own limits as long as they at least meet their accrediting body's standards) of experimental drug use will only temporarily DQ someone, usually only until they have whatever department/state mandated time period between them and their last usage of said drug.

Example: marijuana, seems to be 3-5yrs is the standard as long as applicant hasn't gone over the department's max usage. If applicant has gone over the # of times that the department will accept, of course it is lifetime DQ, if they have used less than department's max but perhaps didn't know of the 3-5 year timeframe, and it had been say 2yrs since last use, they will be temporarily DQ'd.

Also, just to clarify, i never said 3 DQ's was good. The post that I responded to didn't say they had been DQ'd 3 times either. My point was, there are many people not making it on their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc time. Some people DO need to get real and see that they've shown a blatant disregard for the law well past the age they should've known better, got arrested for x, y, z and law enforcement isn't for them. Others may have had some hiccups along the road and they just need to put more time in between, make smart choices, and put some more apps out there.
              Last edited by SportsterChop; 12-29-2010, 09:45 PM.
              use my trueprotein.com discount code for 5% off- MTD244

Comment

• If you are DQ'd by Baltimore City (no offense hired folks) and two other agencies your odds in Maryland are going to be slim.

If you take Jvegas up on his offer I'd be willing to look at your record as well. I imagine there is something that will catch our eye that you are over looking.

If you'd be DQ'd by three in MD it's likely a MPTC disqualfying issue...thus it's time to move onto a new career for a bit.

Comment

• I agree take Jvegas and Name Taken up on their offer. I've been through these processes and currently in a few and would be willing to assit as well as to what the other two agencies that DQ'd you besides BPD and for what if you know. It may be temp or permenant but won't know unless you clarify. You could still be in the running in MD.

PM me..........

Comment

• Instead of PM'ing everyone just share it with us thats what we are here for is to help.
                    Neither a Republican nor Democrat, both parties are hopelessly flawed.

RIP to all my fallen brothers and sisters in blue I hope one day I can live up to your legacies because you live forever in my mind.

To anyone non-LEO don't get it twisted. Us officers may disagree on politics, sports, and any other issue but we will always be brothers and sisters at the end of the day and have each others back. To think otherwise is stupid.

Comment

Last edited by Private_I; 08-23-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

• All the help and advice I can get would be great and much appreciated. I don't mind putting this out there, so.....

I'm 22 years old, never been arrested and only have one speeding ticket on my driving record, but no points. I do however have 2 tickets for driving without front license plates (the rear plates were properly affixed to the car). It was my moms car and both happened a while ago. I was 16 and 17 years old and didn't have a car of my own. I also got a ticket for not having my headlights on after I pulled out of a gas station in the NW District @ about midnight. That happened about a year ago. That is all for my driving record.

The only time I've ever been in handcuffs was when I was walking on the side of I-91 in Hartford CT (where I went to school) because I refused to drive with a drunken driver. As the cop rode up next to me to ask why I was walking on the side of the road the people who I was originally with drove up behind the cop and started harassing both me and the cop. The driver parked, got out of the car and punched me in the face. Then I tackled him and the cop pulled me off of him and put me in cuffs. I didn't get arrested, or get a summons or anything, but I'm just wondering if I should mention that...? (as crazy as that story sounds, that is EXACTLY how it went down).

My credit is fine, a few school loans, CC bills, and I think my credit score is somewhere in the mid 600's... Is that good?

My GPA from the college in CT is horrible... I attend UMD now and my GPA is in the low 3's. My high school grades were great though.

I know that's probably more than you want to know about a stranger, and maybe more than you expected/wanted to deal with.

Any advice or criticisms would be much appreciated.
                        Last edited by MutΣ1914; 12-30-2010, 01:25 AM.
                        BPD
                        Oral Psych- 02/23/11. ???
                        Medical Ex -03/4/11. ???
                        Polygraph- 03/8/11. ???

Comment

• So on the DQ's, I've applied to agencies where I didn't meet one standard or the other. For example, when I applied to Park Police for having 2 tickets in the last year. I put that I was DQ'd for my driving record, however the officer I spoke to at Park Police told me I could reapply for their next announcement. Does this mean I should have put 'rejected' or 'not hired' instead of 'DQ'd' which is what I have been doing? Will this mess me up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                            If you are DQ'd by Baltimore City (no offense hired folks) and two other agencies your odds in Maryland are going to be slim.

If you take Jvegas up on his offer I'd be willing to look at your record as well. I imagine there is something that will catch our eye that you are over looking.

If you'd be DQ'd by three in MD it's likely a MPTC disqualfying issue...thus it's time to move onto a new career for a bit.
                            agree 100%.

Comment

• for the record, i think people are using the term "DQ" incorrectly here. a DQ is a permanent thing. it means you are disqualified from being hired with that agency. MD mandates the minimum standards that all depts must adhere to. depts have the authority to make their standards more strict. from what i am reading in most peoples questions about not being hired are "rejections". rejections mean that you didnt make that class because there were better applicants or something in your background temporarily is keeping you from meeting the minimum requirements. IMO, if BIs are telling you that you are DQ'd but you can reapply on such and such a date, they are using DQ too loosely.

FYI, if you search, you will find the MD standards on drug use. it is public information, thats why i am mentioning it. certain things with drugs will keep you out forever...this would be a DQ.

on the flip side, there are requirements with DWI/DUIs and how soon after receiving one you are be hired as a police officer. if the standard is 5 years, and its only been 2, you will be "rejected" for 3 more years.

actually being DQ'd by multiple agencies (especially from larger depts like BPD, MPDC, and PG) for things other than "failing" a polygraph, is a bad thing and it probably means ints time to move onto another career path.

domestic violence (whether found guilty or not) and crimes against persons in general, are the biggest things that will make it hard to get hired. this may not be on paper with any dept, but with the number of police that get hemmed up on these things in the media, all depts have a "cover our ***" mentality.

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                                for the record, i think people are using the term "DQ" incorrectly here. a DQ is a permanent thing. it means you are disqualified from being hired with that agency. MD mandates the minimum standards that all depts must adhere to. depts have the authority to make their standards more strict. from what i am reading in most peoples questions about not being hired are "rejections". rejections mean that you didnt make that class because there were better applicants or something in your background temporarily is keeping you from meeting the minimum requirements. IMO, if BIs are telling you that you are DQ'd but you can reapply on such and such a date, they are using DQ too loosely.

FYI, if you search, you will find the MD standards on drug use. it is public information, thats why i am mentioning it. certain things with drugs will keep you out forever...this would be a DQ.

on the flip side, there are requirements with DWI/DUIs and how soon after receiving one you are be hired as a police officer. if the standard is 5 years, and its only been 2, you will be "rejected" for 3 more years.

actually being DQ'd by multiple agencies (especially from larger depts like BPD, MPDC, and PG) for things other than "failing" a polygraph, is a bad thing and it probably means ints time to move onto another career path.

domestic violence (whether found guilty or not) and crimes against persons in general, are the biggest things that will make it hard to get hired. this may not be on paper with any dept, but with the number of police that get hemmed up on these things in the media, all depts have a "cover our ***" mentality.
                                @JVegasThanks for clearing that up. I think the BIs I've dealt with have used the word "DQ'd" a little loosely.

@Mut1914 Going by what you said I think you will be fine. You credit score for your age seems fine depending on how many bills you have but as long as you make your payments on time you are good. Shows you are responsible. Your GPA at one school may be horrible but since transferring schools and having an improvement in GPA it shows you are able to work hard and obtain good grades. You may be asked why you got bad grades at one school and why now you have good grades you know maybe you were distracted or the fact it was your first yr in college etc. Either way don't see it as something negative because your GPA is good. THe incident with the officer shouldn't be a problem being you were let go without any summons, going to jail, etc. You were walking away from a potential problem(driving with a drunk driver) and he came at you and hit you so you acted in self defense by tackling him. Just be honest and very detailed as possible with that and you should be fine. I'm not in no way saying that you will be guranteed further processing in an agency but just giving my opinion and I think you will be fine. Some stuff like the driving ticket with your lights off and the license plate could be overlooked. Yes the license plate was on the rear of the car but not affixed to the required place( front license holder) The BIs will look at everything on a case to case basis. Just tell them everything regardless if you feel it is worth mentioning on not.
                                Last edited by Chamillionaire; 12-30-2010, 09:33 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4571 users online. 275 members and 4296 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X