300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Private_I View Post
    I was 16 or 17 when I smoked marijuana. I only took the written psych so I may not have passed but when I wrote the letter her response was that it was something in my background. Maybe it was the FTA's. I'm currently in the process of getting the criminal expunged but the MVA told me I couldn't get my driving record expunged. Is that true? How soon can I jump back in the process? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
    I think someone in this thread said that the written psych isnt reviewed until your oral psych. Pair that with
    the fact that an MMPI trained psychologist has to review the computer results and compare them to oral results, I would say you didnt fail the written.

Very interested to know though. The exact same thing happened to me but you are in a better position with your
    background and lack of re-occuring criminal activity.

Good luck. The waiting game is the worst part but the rewards are great. Dont give up
    13O2 Aug '10
    List: <1000

Comment

• I am a female interested in becoming a Police Officer with BPD.
      What advice would you give to someone coming straight out of college?
      For women, How much easier is it to obtain employment, in comparison to men?

Comment

• Originally posted by mrogers View Post
        I am a female interested in becoming a Police Officer with BPD.
        How much college do you have? More is better. Keep your nose clean and start applying. Everywhere. College is great but in a world ever-dominated by the thought that education trumps all, experience is now in short supply. Experience will carry you to the top of the application barrel. Do ride alongs with departments. Become entrenched in the work. See if it's really for you. It's all too easy to get caught up in cop-dramas on t.v. and say law enforcement is what you want to do.

Even though you asked women about how easy it is to obtain employment in comparison to men, I'd like to offer some insight. It's not an easier career for women. Up through the academy and well into your employment, you will face doubt in your ability simply for being a woman. It sucks but you need to perservere. As far as the application process, it's easier under the surface. Departments have minimum standards to comply with Affirmative Action goals. They were set 40 years ago. Nothing new. So, where they cannot blatantly hire only minorities, they can choose to pick minorites by weeding out other applicants. Their hands are tied and they have to meet these quotas or federal funding is removed from their budget. Yes, hiring is in your favor.

Stay strong and be persistent. Women are so desperately needed in law enforcement. They're not only nice to have for female suspect and defendant searches and responses to female sexual assaults but they generally are involved in use of force incidents than men. Women possess a mothering quality that can almost talk a perp into cuffs rather than wrestle them into cuffs. A great attribute in the LE field.

The threatened will doubt you, we enlightened will welcome you! Get in there!
        Last edited by SGT. Joe Friday; 12-13-2010, 03:45 AM.
        13O2 Aug '10
        List: <1000

Comment

• Originally posted by Private_I View Post
          I was 16 or 17 when I smoked marijuana. I only took the written psych so I may not have passed but when I wrote the letter her response was that it was something in my background. Maybe it was the FTA's. I'm currently in the process of getting the criminal expunged but the MVA told me I couldn't get my driving record expunged. Is that true? How soon can I jump back in the process? Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.
          driving records can be expunged, but i am unsure on exactly how it works. the forms can be obtained online or at MVA. i would wait to apply after your criminal record has been expunged and you get the confirmation letter back, so about 90 days from when you file.

Comment

Last edited by Private_I; 08-23-2012, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Your choice

Hey,
              I've been looking into becoming an LEO for a couple of years now and have really narrowed down my vision to different agencies in MD. I am from Baltimore and feel a real connection to this area. However, I'm not completely sure how to make a decision on what my first choice would be, if I given an opportunity to make a choice at all. For some of you members of BPD or other agencies in MD (if you are looking at this), how did you make the choice that BPD was the right opportunity for you? Like what factors did you all weigh before pulling the trigger (no pun intended) and going with whatever agency you chose?

I have already passed both the BPD and HoCo written and physical and just waiting to hear back from them when I can move on to their next step (written pysch). I also plan on applying to PG and the MD Troopers.

Thanks
              BPD
              Oral Psych- 02/23/11. ???
              Medical Ex -03/4/11. ???
              Polygraph- 03/8/11. ???

Comment

• If I were you I'd take the first opportunity that came at me. Given how times are just my two cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yanksfan26 View Post
                  If I were you I'd take the first opportunity that came at me. Given how times are just my two cents.
                  /agree
                  The Few, The Proud, The Marines...

Comment

• Originally posted by MutΣ1914 View Post
                    Hey,
                    I've been looking into becoming an LEO for a couple of years now and have really narrowed down my vision to different agencies in MD. I am from Baltimore and feel a real connection to this area. However, I'm not completely sure how to make a decision on what my first choice would be, if I given an opportunity to make a choice at all. For some of you members of BPD or other agencies in MD (if you are looking at this), how did you make the choice that BPD was the right opportunity for you? Like what factors did you all weigh before pulling the trigger (no pun intended) and going with whatever agency you chose?

I have already passed both the BPD and HoCo written and physical and just waiting to hear back from them when I can move on to their next step (written pysch). I also plan on applying to PG and the MD Troopers.

Thanks
                    Take the first opportunity. I've been trying to become a police officer for two years and three times now a department has sent me a letter that due to budget constraints they couldn't hire me. Trust me when the time comes and Baltimore calls me it will be a very happy day in my life. I'm ex military with a degree in Criminal Justice so this is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

Comment

• As people on here have preached in about every thread and is probably one of the golden rules when it comes to getting into law enforcement. Take the first agency that wants to hire you even if its not your first choice or is last on your list. If you turn your fist offer down because you want to wait for the agency you really want to call you then you may be out of luck because your preferred agency may bot hire you for whatever reason. At least take the first offer you can get in and get the experience and move to another agency after your probationary period is over. I'm sure a few ppl on this forum took the first offer they got. The competition is competitve and with the economy the way it is its even harder to get in due to an agency's budget constraints and more people applying looking for a secured job. Good luck in the process.
                      Last edited by Chamillionaire; 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Originally posted by mrogers View Post
                        I am a female interested in becoming a Police Officer with BPD.
                        First off I am not going to sugar coat it for you like another poster on here with no police time. Realize that Baltimore City is what I consider a front line. You are going to get into physical confrontations at times by yourself and more often than you think. People will be in your face and Perps will size you up by size and sex right away. You will work in 1 officer patrol cars so when **** hits the fan as you turn a corner its just you and your sidearm until the cavalry arrives which will feel like an eternity. This ain't the movies you only get one chance to get it right and as far as perps treating you nicer because you're female don't count on it. That lovey feeling crap is a bunch of bs that someone who has never worked on the streets will feed you . Just keeping it real and save you from wasting your time so now you know.
                        Last edited by nypdout; 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nypdout View Post
                          First off I am not going to sugar coat it for you like another poster on here with no police time. Realize that Baltimore City is what I consider a front line. You are going to get into physical confrontations at times by yourself and more often than you think. People will be in your face and Perps will size you up by size and sex right away. You will work in 1 officer patrol cars so when **** hits the fan as you turn a corner its just you and your sidearm until the cavalry arrives which will feel like an eternity. This ain't the movies you only get one chance to get it right and as far as perps treating you nicer because you're female don't count on it. That lovey feeling crap is a bunch of bs that someone who has never worked on the streets will feed you . Just keeping it real and save you from wasting your time so now you know.
                          Thank god! I thought I was the only one that saw that flowery feel-good BS. I am just trying to get on like many others here, so I won't talk about "we" and "us" and all of that like I'm already a cop. Bottom line is a recruit should think of themselves as a recruit regardless of sex, age, weight, color, etc, etc. I know I don't want to be in a class or working patrol with anyone that thinks they deserve special circumstances (although I'm not naïve enough to think it doesn't happen anyway). Everyone bleeds the same color blood, and no one is bulletproof. It's Baltimore City- know that. If you want to apply then apply- don't worry about your "chances" being a female or minority or any of that crap- you either want to work for BPD or you don't.
                          use my trueprotein.com discount code for 5% off- MTD244

Comment

• Originally posted by Chamillionaire View Post
                            As people on here have preached in about every thread and is probably one of the golden rules when it comes to getting into law enforcement. Take the first agency that wants to hire you even if its not your first choice or is last on your list. If you turn your fist offer down because you want to wait for the agency you really want to call you then you may be out of luck because your preferred agency may bot hire you for whatever reason. At least take the first offer you can get in and get the experience and move to another agency after your probationary period is over. I'm sure a few ppl on this forum took the first offer they got. The competition is competitve and with the economy the way it is its even harder to get in due to an agency's budget constraints and more people applying looking for a secured job. Good luck in the process.
                            This is extremely true and I can't emphasize that enough!! I took my bottom choice for the most part because just getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. If you are serious about getting your foot in the door, you seriously need to take any agency that calls. When my current agency called me, I was still in the background for the agency I really wanted to go....however, you seriously can't say no when you get that phone call saying you are hired. Especially in this day and age, you just can't be picky. Now maybe once you have some time on, you can be selective but until then...take whoever calls you!! Its all about the experience!! Just get the experience and more doors will open! Even though some frown upon it, I think when it comes to getting into law enforcement, you need to apply to as many agencies as possible. I took a police job 4.5 hours away from where I am from.......sometimes, you just got to make that executive decision and take the agency that isn't your top pick.

PS Kudos to NYPDOUT post....

Comment

• Well it looks like i'm out, I called and talked to my BI today, even though I haven't recieved a "no further consideration letter" yet, He said it looks like they probably arent going to do anything with me because of a couple of speed camera tickets I got. All those still in the process or looking to get into it best of luck.

To those who may know since I haven't recieved anything in the mail yet does this mean i can reapply at a later date or does this sound like a permanent DQ?
                              BPD
                              Written: 4/27
                              Agility: 5/7
                              Written Psych: 6/2
                              Background Interview: 8/25
                              Oral Psych: TBD
                              Medical: TBD
                              Poly: TBD
                              Final Processing: TBD

Comment

• I doubt you are DQ permanently but maybe just for now but you should be eligible to reapply. Though every agency is different I would say it would depend on how many tickets you have and the time span between each speed camera ticket. For example,If they say reapply in a year and you reapply you may have a better chance provided you don't receive any more tickets. Most agencies do look at the time span between tickets or I should say the number of times an incident has occurred. Believe me there are applicants with worst stuff in their background then a few tickets and they are still hired. Some are not DQ and some are. It all depends on the agency but all in all every agency deals with these situations different because it varies based on each indviduals' background. As I said in my last post, apply everywhere and increase your chances. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. It may not be the agency you want but at least you will get in he door and get the experience. I'm not saying you haven't applied to numerous agencies but I'm just generally speaking. Good luck in the process with other agencies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6851 users online. 360 members and 6491 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X