300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueChord11B View Post
    I just said that from TGYNYY saying half his class didn't have any military or college .. it seems nowadays active duty experience doesn't count for much and many departments, even big ones like NYPD atleast require an associates, if not a bachelors. These departments up here in CT are really painful when it comes to hiring, some don't hire for 3 to 5 years at a time.
    i have never understood why some depts require a college degree of any level. sure, it may eliminate some undesirable candidates, but i would think that alot of applicants get turned away who could prove to be great police. id guess that most people who become police get criminal justice degrees, which many police officers will tell you is the most worthless degree to get if you want to be police. i understand that going to college and getting a degree might show some drive and initiative and maybe even maturity, but it also may show someone who went away for 4 years, drank themselves silly every night and got a piece of paper. Someone who did not go to college might have worked their butts off at the same job for those 4 years, learned some real life lessons and even gained some managerial and people skills. In some MD agencies, you can get a few college credits just by going through the academy. IMO, an associates degree is a waste of time and money, these days.

Comment

• I knew the officer who got shot last night in the CD. Thank god he is going to be okay
      Neither a Republican nor Democrat, both parties are hopelessly flawed.

RIP to all my fallen brothers and sisters in blue I hope one day I can live up to your legacies because you live forever in my mind.

To anyone non-LEO don't get it twisted. Us officers may disagree on politics, sports, and any other issue but we will always be brothers and sisters at the end of the day and have each others back. To think otherwise is stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
        i have never understood why some depts require a college degree of any level. sure, it may eliminate some undesirable candidates, but i would think that alot of applicants get turned away who could prove to be great police. id guess that most people who become police get criminal justice degrees, which many police officers will tell you is the most worthless degree to get if you want to be police. i understand that going to college and getting a degree might show some drive and initiative and maybe even maturity, but it also may show someone who went away for 4 years, drank themselves silly every night and got a piece of paper. Someone who did not go to college might have worked their butts off at the same job for those 4 years, learned some real life lessons and even gained some managerial and people skills. In some MD agencies, you can get a few college credits just by going through the academy. IMO, an associates degree is a waste of time and money, these days.
        My four years of college wasn't anywhere near drinking myself silly I had to bust my hump getting through and working to hold down a house. But I do agree that the degree I got is useless (criminal justice) since I can't find any work after finishing school in 2008.

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
          Exactly. I can tell you my four year degree taught me nothing, not even how to drink (went to satelite campus of the University). It's a peice of paper that says you might be slightly more discliplined enough to sit in a controlled environment for four+ years and make deadlines. The academy, FTO and general experience will teach you everything you need to know.
          13O2 Aug '10
          List: <1000

Comment

• Hah, I'm about to graduate in a few weeks with my bachelors in Criminal Justice. If I could go back and start all over again, it definitely would not be in CJ. BTW, since I'm graduating soon, is Baltimore looking to hire anytime soon?

Comment

• read through the thread!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
                Hah, I'm about to graduate in a few weeks with my bachelors in Criminal Justice. If I could go back and start all over again, it definitely would not be in CJ. BTW, since I'm graduating soon, is Baltimore looking to hire anytime soon?
                Absolutely. Working at a gym has me convinced I should have done exercise science or something like that. Would have been infinitely more interesting and useful.

Comment

• I knew the officer who got shot last night in the CD. Thank god he is going to be okay
                  I'm Glad to hear that!!
                  MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arewethereyet View Post
                    Hah, I'm about to graduate in a few weeks with my bachelors in Criminal Justice. If I could go back and start all over again, it definitely would not be in CJ. BTW, since I'm graduating soon, is Baltimore looking to hire anytime soon?
                    always hiring

Comment

• Originally posted by Yanksfan26 View Post
                      My four years of college wasn't anywhere near drinking myself silly I had to bust my hump getting through and working to hold down a house. But I do agree that the degree I got is useless (criminal justice) since I can't find any work after finishing school in 2008.
                      of course, i was speaking in generalities. i know not everyone in college drinks and parties every day. a criminal justice degree isnt really useless except to those who graduate and become police. they could have gotten a job at 20yrs6mos and had 3 or so years on and then if they joined a dept that has a tuition program, went to school for close to free.

Comment

• It's silly to get a CJ degree to be a police officer in MD at this time.

If police work is what you are interested become a cadet...start at 18 get your foot in the door...start getting paid...you start you retirement.

Go to school on the city or countys dime.

Comment

• Originally posted by MeBPD View Post
                          Is 11B your MOS?
                          Do they look for certain MOS's over others, such as combat arms as opposed to Force Sustainment? My MOS is 68W, and have served all but 1 year as a line medic. Just curious as I am about to transition out of the Army and was going to apply at BPD, thanks.

Comment

• Fyrdoc, if you mean the Police Agency? No. However I am sure they look at actual certifications held that would be beneficial. i.e. EMT-B registration. I've never heard of preference points being Infantry or anything.
                            Last edited by TrueCross; 11-29-2010, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Anyone in the process? It has become very quiet in here.
                              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• Originally posted by TrueCross View Post
                                Fyrdoc, if you mean the Police Agency? No. However I am sure they look at actual certifications held that would be beneficial. i.e. EMT-B registration. I've never heard of preference points being Infantry or anything.
                                Thanks for the response, currently have a few EMS certs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5468 users online. 330 members and 5138 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X