Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm curious as well. Who ranks and how? By time spent on physical conditioning or academics? Combination? Some guys can workout 2 hours twice a day without so much as sweating but don't do well academically and vice-versa. Then, there are the select few who can workout 2 hours and day without so much as sweating while studying nuclear physics.
    It's a bit too subjective for a rank system.

I'm sure academies are tough. No doubt I, as well as many, will be unprepared lol
    13O2 Aug '10
    List: <1000

Comment

• you have "seen" recruits in the past, and by that, are making an assumption that the BPD academy is "no different than others". you really seem to be an authority on that...

Comment

• It's more of an outlook. I could be scared walking into an academy. Or I could say, "This is a basic academy. Respect rank, run, push ups, sit ups, run some more. Read, take a test, run some more. Respect rank and run some more." At their base, all academies are the same. Saying one is better or harder than any other is a pride in one's department. Nothing wrong with that.
        13O2 Aug '10

Comment

• Originally posted by TGYNYY View Post
          okay johnny, well you can come down and participate in our Hell week and see how easy you find it!
          Ok, on that note, come down and participate in our hell week, and see how easy you find it.

I'll give you a hint, its not easy either. It SHOULDN'T be easy, if it is, we have a problem.

Comment

you have "seen" recruits in the past, and by that, are making an assumption that the BPD academy is "no different than others". you really seem to be an authority on that...
            The point he was making is, every Maryland academy has to teach what the training commission tells them to. In content, every academy in the state will receive the same academic training, and the tactics will be similar. Some academies focus more on different subjects, but they have minimums they have to meet.

Now, we can be cocky and talk about how hard each other's academies are, all we want, but it does not amount to anything, its all based on perspective. How many academies have you been through? What gives you the experience to say your academy was harder then mine?

I doubt any academy in this state is easy, and the only one I have heard of that is easier is Anne Arundel community college.

Comment

• i never said it is harder than yours..

Comment

okay johnny, well you can come down and participate in our Hell week and see how easy you find it!
                Some advice, you are still a recruit and you don;t know who is on here and who exactly you are talking to. I would be careful. "Hell week" is not going to be any different at any academy. They may be called another name at each academy one attends, but they are designed to weed those who don't need or want to be there and those who need to up and quit the first day through that first week. "Hell week", yes I have seen it with BPD and it is no different that Basic training with the US Army or Marine Corps or MSP Academy or any other academy that's run in Maryland.

Yes I will stand by my word stating that BPD's academy is no different that others. Each academy in Maryland teaches the same requirements as per MPTC.

Make it through the whole academy and then make comments as your want to, until then, good luck.
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• if anything, i would say that maybe BPD is ranked 10 on the eastcoast for the level of training, not toughness. we have a well known, nationally used defense tactics guy, Lew Hicks, BPD was one of the first depts to teach active shooter in the academy and then started to retrain every officer already on the street, one district at a time (diamond standard training). BPD brought in Navy Seals to develop this training. we have one of the best swat teams in the area (id say second to Balt Co.). i would also go out on a limb and say that we have one of the best auto theft units out (this is a joint effort, though, between balt co, and MSP. it just happens to be based in the city).

this doesnt make our academy the toughest, though, and i doubt its ranked 10 in anything for toughness. well, maybe 10th in the state, but thats not saying much.

people in the academy now, you will see how it is. it will kill you to see what some people will get away with in your class. things that other depts would fire you on the spot for, or make you pay so hard that you resign.
                  Last edited by jvegas; 10-31-2010, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• This is funny.

I'll agree that most of the larger academies in this state are going to be equal. Each are going to have issues and strengths. Saying one is better then the other is foolish. It also does not reflect the agecny at all.

Enjoy your push ups...while you are there you should feel to some extent that you're elite...but that's at the end of the academy not your first week.

Comment

• In defense for the boys in this class it is nice to see them take up for their class. But this whole page reminds of being a kid and arguing about who's dad can beat up whos dad etc lol
                      MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• TG was your first day just taking the PT test or more?
                        Neither a Republican nor Democrat, both parties are hopelessly flawed.

RIP to all my fallen brothers and sisters in blue I hope one day I can live up to your legacies because you live forever in my mind.

To anyone non-LEO don't get it twisted. Us officers may disagree on politics, sports, and any other issue but we will always be brothers and sisters at the end of the day and have each others back. To think otherwise is stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                          In defense for the boys in this class it is nice to see them take up for their class. But this whole page reminds of being a kid and arguing about who's dad can beat up whos dad etc lol
                          Agreed... I've stuck up for the Army for years since I spent more than a decade wearing the uniform but I know the Army is not the best. Every service has its good and bad points. The Army just has less bad points than the other inferior services. I am willing to bet that police departments are the same way. People will stick up and be loyal and be defensive to others when they say something negative about their organization.

BTW - Does a recruit actually get taught anything that first week besides which instructor yells the loudest and how much PT a human being can physically do in a day?

Comment

• MeBPD, we went over the General Orders and Core Values and some other protocols, and then the rest of the day was spent doing the PT test.

Comment

• Is that an initial PT used as a guide or how does that work?
                              13O2 Aug '10

Comment

• Originally posted by SGT. Joe Friday View Post
                                Is that an initial PT used as a guide or how does that work?
                                if you score under a certain % (coopers test) you have to report early for remedial PT. they test the whole class again mid term again. if you pass mid term, you stay off remedial or graduate from remedical, if you fail you stay on remedial or get put on remedial.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4681 users online. 316 members and 4365 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X