Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It makes sense that the physical agility test would be the easiest part of an academy's physical training. Afterall it is supposed to measure the minimum amount of shape you should be in.

But what is a typical workout like for recruits in the Baltimore City Academy?

Comment

This post has nothing against BCPD. Maybe I missed it in the above posts, if so forgive me in advance...I am curious why some of you guys from the west coast are interested in coming all the way out here to work in Baltimore.

On a side note, I would like to give a salute to the Baltimore guys on this forum. They have a tough job, and give lots of information to help out prospective applicants. Just from browsing the forum in off time I have noticed you guys are on the ball here.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStix
        The tests (from memory) are situps, push ups, run, sit and reach. I think a mini obstacle course (nothing fancy), but I'm not sure if that was for fun, or an actual test.
        NightStix, you must have some time on, brother, because they changed some of that. Sit up, pushups and 1/2 mile are the same. Got rid of the sit and reach and replaced it with bench press. But the press is done on one of those univeral machines, so whatever you do on the REAL bench press, add about 50 lbs. to your total. No more obstacle course as part of the test. In fact, I don't think we ever did any kind of obstacle course for PT when I was there.

SoCal, Day to Day PT varies. Its usually at the end of the day, about 2 hours. On one day, you may go for a run through the city. Other days, you will stay in the gym and do push up-sit up type training. You don't know what you will be doing from day to day.

I have been out of the academy for a few years myself, so they may have changed some things.

Terp, Thank you for the nice words.
        Last edited by B-More Dawg; 04-16-2007, 02:12 AM.
        GO CAVS!!

Comment

the bad parts are really bad. In a 2.2 sq. mile area, we have the most shootings/ homicides in the entire city.
          Whereabouts is 'that' area?

Also, kinda random question: Is the city considered part of the county of Baltimore? If so, does they have any role whatsoever in the city? Do the county police ever come in? Do they even have authority?

Comment

Thanks

Much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Terp22
              This post has nothing against BCPD. Maybe I missed it in the above posts, if so forgive me in advance...I am curious why some of you guys from the west coast are interested in coming all the way out here to work in Baltimore.
              Last edited by Kashihara; 03-26-2009, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flash40

Also, kinda random question: Is the city considered part of the county of Baltimore? If so, does they have any role whatsoever in the city? Do the county police ever come in? Do they even have authority?
                I believe Baltimore County is a separate county that does not encompass Baltimore City. Baltimore City is a county-level entity for the purposes of state government. Which is weird, but then again so is the entire Maryland structure of government and their names.... general assembly, house of delegates and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kashihara
                  I've been to Baltimore before and I liked it. I've got family in Maryland and New York that I'd like to be closer to. But perhaps most important thing is - it is a career goal of mine to work for a major metropolitan police department, especially one in which there are opportunities for "diverse assignments" and advancement, not to mention actual police work, not baby-sitting suburbans who abuse 9-1-1. Truth be told that kind of thing isn't found so easily in my state, as most agencies are smaller and their objectives and methodology get in the way. Not to mention that if one wants to do anything more than patrol work, you'll have to be in a dept. for at least a decade.

I regularly work closely with law enforcement and the court and some things I've seen make me less than optimistic about a career in law enforcement here. It is also quite difficult to even get on with an agency as the competition is VERY fierce due to the many military installations in Washington and Oregon, whom local agencies traditionally draw from. Baltimore seems like a challenge and based on what I know, I feel I could contribute to the department better than I could one out here.

Hope this answered your question.
                  Great answer You will definetly find "action" in Charm City. You mentioned family in NY, did you ever look into NYPD? Or Philly PD is smack in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by flash40

Western and Eastern Districts traditionally are 1 and 2 in violent crime. The remaining 7 districts jockey for positions after that. Some months its NW, others SW, others NE, ...Northern, Central.....Nowadays they all have their rough areas which errupt from time to time.

City and County have nothing to do with each. Its weird because where I am originally from the cities are part of the county. Here, the city has their own courts, jail, etc. Balt. County surrounds the city geographically. We have a very good working relationship with them, I find, but they do not patrol or answer calls in the city.

My unit works with them time to time on investigation that cross the county line and we help them vice versa. When I used to work patrol, they would see us going code to something near the county line and tag along to see if we needed an extra hand.
                    GO CAVS!!

Comment

Since the Scotch or Wine is flowing freely my friend, I'll shed some light. I dont have too much time on. I've got about 6 1/2 years, and I am stuck in DDU. As far as the changes in the academy, thats funny, cause my hardest part was the sit and reach Not very flexible. Still scratching my head over the whole obstacle thing though. I know we did something on the 5th floor with jumping over a baricade and such.

Baltimore County does not have authority in Baltimore City. 2 different jurisdictions.

I work Greenmount & North. Madison and Monument St. corridor. Gotta love the ED.

Kashihara, if you want my personal views about BMORE, look here.
                      http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...884#post856884

Sorry B-More Dawg, took a tad to type a response.
                      Last edited by NightStix; 04-16-2007, 03:23 AM.

Comment

DULY noted NightStix, thanks for the insight, its appreciated. Congrats on getting that guy off the street even though the jury wouldn't convict at first. We all appreciate what you guys do.

Comment

One thing I've learned, get te FED's Involved, MORE likely to take a plea.

Comment

Since the Scotch or Wine is flowing freely my friend, I'll shed some light. I dont have too much time on. I've got about 6 1/2 years, and I am stuck in DDU. As far as the changes in the academy, thats funny, cause my hardest part was the sit and reach Not very flexible. Still scratching my head over the whole obstacle thing though. I know we did something on the 5th floor with jumping over a baricade and such.

Baltimore County does not have authority in Baltimore City. 2 different jurisdictions.

I work Greenmount & North. Madison and Monument St. corridor. Gotta love the ED.

Kashihara, if you want my personal views about BMORE, look here.
                            http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...884#post856884

Sorry B-More Dawg, took a tad to type a response.
                            Few more than me. I work in my district ops unit. And now that you mentioned it, I do remember having to climb over that wall in the gym. But I think we only did it once.

Madison and Monument! I walked foot down there for 3 summer months when I got out of the academy. We had ALOT of fun down there.
                            GO CAVS!!

Comment

All I know is that you can get "Away" with a "LOT" more stuff in the ED than you can anywhere else.

Comment

All I know is that you can get "Away" with a "LOT" more stuff in the ED than you can anywhere else.
                                Amen. I work in the BIG district above 25th. So you can imagine..starting in the ED and going to that.
                                GO CAVS!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7791 users online. 179 members and 7612 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X