Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baltimore City Police Department Q&A

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by NightStix View Post

    Hey wear the Steelers, depending on how tonight goes, I may change teams. The biggest reason I am a fan of the Ravens is because they help pay my salary!
    I hear ya on that. Never bite the hand that feeds ya. Did you end up changing teams?
    "Sometimes you have to be able choose the harder right over the easier wrong" ~~ Dr. M.H

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~~ Edmund Burke

    Comment


    • Originally posted by rleejr79 View Post
      I hear ya on that. Never bite the hand that feeds ya. Did you end up changing teams?

      Just read the paper today. Boller's done(I think for the season-time will tell), Smith is still sick. Flacco, poor guy is literally being thrown to the wolves and I dont think he's ANYWHERE near ready for the big leagues.

      Looks like I'll just sink with them and wallow in pity.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
        We have 1 K9 officer..period. If's he off we have to use surrounding agency's... Bel Air, HCSO, Aberdeen, MSP, CCSO, Perryville, Port Deposit
        I thought Port Deposit did away with their department?
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

        Comment


        • I'm thinking about putting an application in for the department tomorrow. Anyone know how often a new academy starts and how many officers are usually in each class?

          thanks
          Look sharp, act sharp, be sharp.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Street_Cop50 View Post
            I'm thinking about putting an application in for the department tomorrow. Anyone know how often a new academy starts and how many officers are usually in each class?

            thanks
            Put in that app.. They do an academy about every two months. Usually it's that last Fri. of the second month since the last class started. They aim for a minimum 50 people in each class which they seem to get everyone at the last minute. That does include people from other agencies which helps a lot, so it's not just Baltimore City. Get in fast though because they were talking about this upcoming class to start the first 30 days live-in but it's not going to happen, but it may still happen in the future.

            You live in VA? If so, I"m not sure how far from the city you are but you probably qualify for the out of state testing which means you can get everything done on a Fri-Mon weekend. THen you just wait for the B.I. to be done. It took me 27 days from the first day I tested til' I got hired.

            They should be starting a new class towards the mid-end of Sept. so you may not make it for that class, which means if you go through the process you would have to wait til' novemberish.. But if you do get hired they start you before the academy to do pre-academy work, such as work at the range, or in central records, etc. You get full pay while doing that so it's not bad.

            Anyways, all that information is the basic stuff I got on this site when I started the process so if there is anything else feel free to PM me. Unfortunately, I won't divulge too much about the academy experience because that fun is something you will just have to experience yourself! Goodluck.

            Comment


            • Baltimore City is moving to a live in academy? And they think that's going to help recruitment?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                Baltimore City is moving to a live in academy? And they think that's going to help recruitment?
                yes and yes.

                what is proposed is a live-in academy for the first 30 days and then its a reg 8-4. personally, now that im done, i think its a good thing. the city really needs to weed out people that are just there for a pay check. they really dont have a problem getting the number of applicants. the problem is the long term attrition rate. the city needs to come up with some incentives to keep the "good" officers from transferring. but i guess they need to start somewhere.

                Comment


                • As far as I know, guys 'round here still mention Port Deposit PD.. I will have to check into that.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

                  I Am the Sheepdog.


                  "And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks


                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • I am confused as to what the age requirements are for the Baltimore Police department. I went to college right out of high school and worked for my associates degree. I just finished school and completed the state academy here in Michigan. I am still only 20 years old and won't turn 21 until March. What are the exact age requirements for the department? If anyone can be of assistance, that would be great.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by nmu0808 View Post
                      I am confused as to what the age requirements are for the Baltimore Police department. I went to college right out of high school and worked for my associates degree. I just finished school and completed the state academy here in Michigan. I am still only 20 years old and won't turn 21 until March. What are the exact age requirements for the department? If anyone can be of assistance, that would be great.
                      The age requirement is that you must be over 18 to be hired as a cadet and you cannot start an academy class until you are almost 21. dont know the exact #. Probably 9 months. So in your case, you'd be hired as a cadet.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by jvegas View Post

                        what is proposed is a live-in academy for the first 30 days and then its a reg 8-4. personally, now that im done, i think its a good thing. the city really needs to weed out people that are just there for a pay check. they really dont have a problem getting the number of applicants. the problem is the long term attrition rate. the city needs to come up with some incentives to keep the "good" officers from transferring. but i guess they need to start somewhere.
                        One more thing about the proposed live in for new classes, I'd advise anyone who DOESN'T want to partake in this to do what they can to get into one of the remaining 08 classes. It was said today by an instructor that 09-01 is gonna be the first class to hit Sykesville. He had this disgustingly sick happy look in his eye too when he said it. Education and Training is going through some MAJOR changes and plans in regard to 30 day live-in might change but just know that the live-in IS coming.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                          yes and yes.

                          what is proposed is a live-in academy for the first 30 days and then its a reg 8-4. personally, now that im done, i think its a good thing. the city really needs to weed out people that are just there for a pay check. they really dont have a problem getting the number of applicants. the problem is the long term attrition rate. the city needs to come up with some incentives to keep the "good" officers from transferring. but i guess they need to start somewhere.
                          I find that odd. I guess I'm assuming that the backround would get rid of most of the "none belongers" and the academy would just get rid of the "weak".


                          Well the good news is Baltimore City wont have to house the homeless at the convention center anymore...they can just give them applications for the Police Department.


                          More power to the higher ups in the city. I dont think this is going to fix many issues. It will probaly discourage some idiots from applying as they realize it's not going to be a cake walk. Good luck with it. I assume it's alot of budgeting also.

                          Comment


                          • So are they going to start training up at MPTC's house or are they going to trian at the school they just revamped over in Park Heights?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                              So are they going to start training up at MPTC's house or are they going to trian at the school they just revamped over in Park Heights?
                              The first 30 days are gonna be live in at Sykesville. The rest will be as usual at old Pimlico Middle School.

                              Comment


                              • Not to talk too ill-will on BPD, but that background investigation was kind of a joke... At least for me. I've made it through two state agency backgrounds and a federal agency background, and this paled in comparison. As a matter of fact, I think I did most of the background work. I got the sheets to have a handful of references to fill out, including neighbors and people I work with, and then I had to fax them in. They did not contact ANY of those people, and of those references, or any of my previous jobs. I don't know if I was an exception because I was literally hired by a state agency two months before I did this process and they assumed I was clean by that or what. But long story short, I don't think the B.I. weeds everyone that should be weeded, out.

                                As far as the live-in.. I'm just happy I got done before that. but it will be good and bad. Bad for the agency because I think that will just be that many more people that will quit the academy, at a time that this agency needs as many people as can get. It's good though because I think more people that shouldn't be doing this job will not make it through (again not saying anything because I'm a rookie and I'm not wanting to make myself sound like I'm all high and mighty or anything), and it will definitely mean people that truly want it will be the ones that stay.

                                Again, good luck to all of those applying and like the one person said, if you don't want to be part of the Live-in, get that app in asap. Oh, and did the instructor that told the information that it will be starting with 09-01 happen to be a PT instructor? The way you described how he said it, that instructor immediately popped into my head!

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 10227 users online. 450 members and 9777 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X