Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by NJcrow; 03-23-2010, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Last edited by ShortNumber; 02-13-2010, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• This goes along with njcrows question. I've read the entire forum and not much is reflected on this but who actually does the hiring? Is it kinda like pg county where they have a selection committee or does it fall into your background investigators hand. I ask because I know the department spends money on processing you, so what's the chance of you not getting selected or even selected at all. Any info would be appreciated thanks.

Comment

• I guess this is a stupid question, but do they really check people's Facebook? Mines private, are they going to request to be my friend to check me out, lol?

Comment

• I guess this is a stupid question, but do they really check people's Facebook? Mines private, are they going to request to be my friend to check me out, lol?
            My bddy got hired on a few years ago (not here) They checked his. You sign a form that they will send to Facebook-Myspace etc. They will have acess to it. If you have anything you wouldn't want your mother seeing, take it down.
            MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaLAW View Post
              I guess this is a stupid question, but do they really check people's Facebook? Mines private, are they going to request to be my friend to check me out, lol?
              My AA Co. BI asked me for my username and password. It didn't have anything that shouldn't be there but I just didn't think they would need that info.

Comment

• Alright, I'll try to help you guys out as much as I can here with all this, I know what's it's like to be in your shoes, so here goes..

Originally posted by ShortNumber View Post
                i heard that upon graduation from the academy, the new officer must have a valid maryland license... any truth to this? i know a few out of staters, POTs and officers alike. also, is there an actual requirement that the POT must not leave the state of Maryland while attending the academy? if yes, how does this work for the out of state commuters? thanks in advance for any possible information
                You need a license before the academy. You will be tested on operating an emergency vehicle. As far as not commuting out of state during the academy... untrue, if you live out of state, you must leave state to get home everyday (obviously) if you are just planning to travel out of state for the weekend, you must submit a request for weekend travel, and get it approved by your class advisor. 99% of the time, it will be approved. They will go over alot your questions during orientation, and also your 2nd week in the academy. Your 1st week, lets just say you wont have time to ask alot of questions.
                As far as facebook or myspace, they will check it, frequently. You will be in the public eye, and this is one of the best ways to see what you are really like. If you decide to try to hide something, they are officers,detectives, and so on. Our job is to be a fact finder. If you have something to hide, this probably isn't the job for you.
                For the hiring, your packet will be submitted by your BI, as a RECCOMENDATION for hire, it will be looked at by other officers, and higher ups, i won't say who for safety reasons, and cause in the past people have called over and over asking about their file.
                Good luck to you guys, if you have any questions, i will do my best to answer them.

Comment

• That's crazy about Facebook. I def don't have anything incriminating, I just wouldn't think they'd take the time to actually look through them;

Comment

• Originally posted by DaLAW View Post
                    That's crazy about Facebook. I def don't have anything incriminating, I just wouldn't think they'd take the time to actually look through them;
                    The background booklet actually asked about if you ever owned any webpage such as facebook, myspace, twitter, etc.

Comment

Last edited by BroSlip09; 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qd28 View Post
                        Alright, I'll try to help you guys out as much as I can here with all this, I know what's it's like to be in your shoes, so here goes..

You need a license before the academy. You will be tested on operating an emergency vehicle. As far as not commuting out of state during the academy... untrue, if you live out of state, you must leave state to get home everyday (obviously) if you are just planning to travel out of state for the weekend, you must submit a request for weekend travel, and get it approved by your class advisor. 99% of the time, it will be approved. They will go over alot your questions during orientation, and also your 2nd week in the academy. Your 1st week, lets just say you wont have time to ask alot of questions.
                        As far as facebook or myspace, they will check it, frequently. You will be in the public eye, and this is one of the best ways to see what you are really like. If you decide to try to hide something, they are officers,detectives, and so on. Our job is to be a fact finder. If you have something to hide, this probably isn't the job for you.
                        For the hiring, your packet will be submitted by your BI, as a RECCOMENDATION for hire, it will be looked at by other officers, and higher ups, i won't say who for safety reasons, and cause in the past people have called over and over asking about their file.
                        Good luck to you guys, if you have any questions, i will do my best to answer them.

Just to add and clarify, you do need a license but NOT a Maryland license. If you live in PA, have a PA license. If you commute from FL (Have fun with that!) then have a FL license. HOWEVER, if you are from out of state and you moved to MD or PA for the academy, make sure you change your license to the appropriate state within the, I believe, 60 days from when you move. Your advisors very well may check up on you to make sure you've done that.

Also, it's a no-no to take your duty weapon out of state. When you are on Field Training you can not qualify with an off-duty so if you live out of state you can drive your duty weapon to and from work/home and that's it. You can't carry it around PA if that's where you live. Qd28 covered the rest!

Have fun and be safe!

Comment

Last edited by NJcrow; 03-23-2010, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Last edited by BroSlip09; 01-27-2010, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Last edited by NJcrow; 03-23-2010, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Thank you Qd28 and MiGuy

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4007 users online. 170 members and 3837 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X