Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck Broslip... hope to see you on the 18th

Comment

• December 18th!!!!!!!! I'm too excited!!

Comment

• Are you getting prehired somewhere bnorth or are you just coming in on the 18th?
        “All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.”

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post
          one more thing, to those who are pre-hires. you will encounter many officers working in your different details. some will be disgruntled and tell you negative things, and some may even tell you to quit. most of those officers are what we refer to as humps. they are those that complain about working everyday, and dont do anything besides answer calls and even then they complain. the bottom line is this job is what you make it and if they hated things so much why are they still there? they could have left at any point in their careers, instead, they choose to stay. just keep that in mind and steer clear of the negativity. every agency has its downsides. personally, i enjoy what i do everyday. show me another agency in this state where you can move up/into a specialized unit within 2 years? tomorrow is the start of my 3rd year. i have seen/experience/done things that officers in other depts havent done with 20 years on.

this is not a bash on other depts and their officers. the city just offers more "opportunity" to do this.
          Thanks again jvegas. This was great advice. I've had the opportunity to talk with several veteran officers that have come in to the QM to exchange gear. So far the advice that they have given is all positive. I have heard the negative twist in several instances outside of where I am now though too so the reinforcement of positivity is much appreciated. P.S...The web browsing on the PC works fine!

Comment

• Just did the polygraph today. I couldn't believe how short it was. Said I did good and would hear from my BI this coming week. I have the Oral pysch tomorrow.
            Howard County Police Department
            Written Exam Passed: 10/24/09
            Agility Passed: 10/24/09
            Background Packet Handed in: 11/05/09
            Oral Interview: 01/21/10

Comment

• Originally posted by Xfitter44 View Post
              Thanks again jvegas. This was great advice. I've had the opportunity to talk with several veteran officers that have come in to the QM to exchange gear. So far the advice that they have given is all positive. I have heard the negative twist in several instances outside of where I am now though too so the reinforcement of positivity is much appreciated. P.S...The web browsing on the PC works fine!
              this is funny, bc i was actually gonna get back on here and say that almost everyone i encountered at the QM was positive. i think its bc they are coming in to get new gear bc they are workers, thus gear will get damaged. good luck to the new officers. stick with it and actually pay attention to the academy instructors. there will be more hard/bad days than good, dont let it sway you.

Comment

• I heard from my BI yesterday and he set me up to come in on monday for and an interview, anyone know what i should expect for that interview???

Comment

• Originally posted by BH1985 View Post
                  I heard from my BI yesterday and he set me up to come in on monday for and an interview, anyone know what i should expect for that interview???
                  Read the forum, its been answered too many times...
                  “All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think we become.”

Comment

• Required equipment for BPD Academy

I want to give those who are entering the next academy a heads up on the required equipment. You will need a large black duffel bag and water bottle. The water bottles must all be the same. There is a local 'police shop' that sells these water bottles and bags. DO NOT buy either one from this place! The bag is not big enough and the shoulder straps fail after a couple of uses. As for the water bottle, they constantly leak. I would suggest that as a CLASS you go to H & H Outdoors (424 North Eutaw Street Baltimore, MD 21201, 410-752-2580) and purchase the green military canteens. They are cheaper, hold the same amount of water (1 qt) and are much more durable. Don't let the few who purchase the water bottle ahead of time dictate that the rest do the same! You can use a silver sharpie marker to put your name on it and your good to go. Good Luck!

Comment

• Thanks a bunch! Will relay info to as many people as possible!

Do we need the exact same duffel bag too?

Comment

No, the duffel bags do not have to be the same. Just as long as they are black, do not have rollers on them (like the standard luggage bag) and do not have any visible logo markings on them then they are acceptable.

Comment

• Originally posted by croc1234 View Post
                          I want to give those who are entering the next academy a heads up on the required equipment. You will need a large black duffel bag and water bottle. The water bottles must all be the same. There is a local 'police shop' that sells these water bottles and bags. DO NOT buy either one from this place! The bag is not big enough and the shoulder straps fail after a couple of uses. As for the water bottle, they constantly leak. I would suggest that as a CLASS you go to H & H Outdoors (424 North Eutaw Street Baltimore, MD 21201, 410-752-2580) and purchase the green military canteens. They are cheaper, hold the same amount of water (1 qt) and are much more durable. Don't let the few who purchase the water bottle ahead of time dictate that the rest do the same! You can use a silver sharpie marker to put your name on it and your good to go. Good Luck!
                          are they allowing the classes to pick their own water bottles? we had to use the one from the police store. as far as the duffel bag, i had a hard time finding a duffel bag that met all of the criteria and buying the POS from the same police store was easiest. it lasted me long enough.

my advice is to wait for orientation and dont buy anything until then. the academy changes frequently and you dont want to buy something that they have now phased out/changed. the water bottle is just one of many things that have changed over the course of a year.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                            are they allowing the classes to pick their own water bottles? we had to use the one from the police store. as far as the duffel bag, i had a hard time finding a duffel bag that met all of the criteria and buying the POS from the same police store was easiest. it lasted me long enough.

my advice is to wait for orientation and dont buy anything until then. the academy changes frequently and you dont want to buy something that they have now phased out/changed. the water bottle is just one of many things that have changed over the course of a year.
                            As for the water bottles, yes, it can be whatever you chose as long as they are all the same. If it is not issued equipment, then you can not be required to purchase a particular water bottle. As for the duffel bag, they can be purchased anywhere including online and be delivered well before the start of the next academy. I would suggest waiting until orientation day to decide as a CLASS on what water bottle to use. As for the bag, it is entirely up to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by jvegas View Post

Technically I think we were able to get whatever water bottle we wanted as long as they were all the same. We only had one day to all have the same bottle so I think we just went the easy route and all got it from the cop shop.

As far as telling everyone about the water bottle and the dufflebag.. SHHHHH. Don't ruin all the fun for the new recruits! Let them experience the academy for themselves. Let them experience the hurry and the panic of having to all do certain things. Since it's different from when they had the academy downtown I can say this, but it's like telling the new recruits that when youw alk down the hall and you see a non-recruit you have to yell stand aside and hug the wall etc etc.... Yeah, that's all fine and dandy, but let them experience it. Let them learn the way when they get there instead of ruining all the fun. Everyone else had to experience it for themselves! Yeah you want to be prepared and everything, but don't destroy all the fun of experiencing it firsthand. Just my two cents.

Comment

• Just got a call from my BI. Said I passed the poly and the psych. Medical is the 15th.
                                Last edited by damstr; 12-07-2009, 11:24 AM.
                                Howard County Police Department
                                Written Exam Passed: 10/24/09
                                Agility Passed: 10/24/09
                                Background Packet Handed in: 11/05/09
                                Oral Interview: 01/21/10

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6260 users online. 352 members and 5908 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X