X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peconic
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2006

Near the Coast

Hi there...I am from New York (Long island), and am looking into relocating to Maryland (but that may or may not happen). What I want to know is, if any officers on here are from coastal towns/villages, and know if their departments are hiring. I have compiled a short list of a few, but would really like to hear from those who are in the know. I have lived near the coast my whole life, and if I move, the coast is somewhere that needs to be close. Thanks
  • irishlad2nv
    Hustler
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Peconic
    Hi there...I am from New York (Long island), and am looking into relocating to Maryland (but that may or may not happen). What I want to know is, if any officers on here are from coastal towns/villages, and know if their departments are hiring. I have compiled a short list of a few, but would really like to hear from those who are in the know. I have lived near the coast my whole life, and if I move, the coast is somewhere that needs to be close. Thanks
    The part of Maryland in which I am assuming you want to live is the "Eastern Shore". Now the closest to the beach would be Ocean City, however they only a few full-time a year. Seasonal police is a very big push in the Summer time for them. Next you have a few county Sheriff agencies and small towns. One thing you will run into is they are all very low paid agencies, however the Cost of Living is fairly low or use to be. I know quite a few people that started off in some small towns, Princess Anne, Fruitland, Crisfield, Pocomoke, Snow Hill Police Departments just to name a few. One thing though for the smaller agencies is they tend to only hire certified officers due to lack of funding for the Academy. Hope that helps some.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

• Peconic
      Forum Member
      • Dec 2006

Every little bit helps!! Thanks!

Comment

• msptrooper
        Smokey Bear
        • Feb 2006

Maryland State Police also have full service barracks all over the Eastern Shore.

Comment

• P.I.Davis
          Banned
          • Oct 2005

Worchester and Wicommico counties are eastern shore counties with full service sheriffs departments and both are very squared away. Also Wicommico has alot of muncipalities.

Comment

• MisterSU
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2006

As noted by PI - Wicomico County (20/25 minutes from the beach - depending on the toopers on 50 ) has three smaller municipalities that have their own police departments. Those are Delmar, Fruitland, and Princess Anne. Salisbury City, the county seat, has its own PD as well (larger then those others), but many do not recommend them since they are the lowest paid with some of the roughest conditions on the shore. Delmar is unique in that they are officers for both DE and MD since the town itself actually has land in both states. Worcester has Ocean City, which has been noted. The county also has departments for the towns of Ocean Pines, Berlin, Snow Hill, and Pocomoke City. You tend to see recruitments from Ocean Pines and Pocomoke then you do for Berlin and Snow Hill - but all these towns are growing fast and will sooner or later need more police officers.

If your not 100% set on Maryland, there are a number of towns just up a few miles in Delaware along the water as well. Fenwick Island, Bethany Beach, Ocean View, and a little further is Dewey Beach and Rehoboth.

Comment

• irishlad2nv
              Hustler
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by P.I.Davis
              Worchester and Wicommico counties are eastern shore counties with full service sheriffs departments and both are very squared away. Also Wicommico has alot of muncipalities.
              Have to disagree on Wicomico County. They have 3 Municipals: Fruitland (small agency), Delmar (small agency) and you have to attend both the Maryland and Delaware Police Academies, which they have maybe 9 Officers and the pay is very low. The last town/city is Salisbury...not going to say much on that agency. Hope that helps some more.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19999 users online. 56 members and 19943 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...