300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCPD question

Is there any possible way to work as a LE officer AND full time school? I am doing the day campus thing at University of Maryland and I want to start my LE career asap. I know I cant swing it in Howard County, I have tried, but I dont know if Montgomery County is any different. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Not really. MCPD hires you as a full time employee before you start the academy. The academy is usually all day, M-F. When you get out of the academy, and out of FTO, there is a possibility that you could do both, you just wouldn't get any sleep! lol
    COMPLACENCY KILLS COPS.

Sean Taylor - 21 - Never Forget

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Comment

yea...I figured! Well thank you, I will just wait two years to apply!
      "Against the machinations of your enemies you can take defense, but against the stupidity of fools, the very gods themselves fight in vain" ~ Johann C.F. Von Schiller

"Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind. With such persons, gullibility, which they call faith, takes the helm from the hand of reason, and the mind becomes a wreck."
      --Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I can tell you from personal experience that even though I take my classes on line that being full time student and full time in the academy is HARD! I could have done it but Ineed my down time from the academy to relax. Once your on the street I dont see why not but durriong the academy.....well thats hard

Comment

Have you considered trying UMUC? Like everyone has said doing fulltime at both would be hard, but it would be doable. At UMD its impossible to do both due to scheduling.

Comment

My two cents are wait till you graduate from the academy. MCP is awesome, due to the permanent Day, Eves and Midnight shifts that you can choose from. So to answer your question about being with MCP and in college, absolutely. I know a Captain that is currently attending Johns Hopkins. With his current command assignment I was surprised, rather SHOCKED he even had the time. So, as the old saying goes, if you want it you'll do it.
            "Intelligence plus character that is the goal of true education." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I have talked to many people about MCPD and I have yet to hear anything bad. It is def my first choice. Thank you for all the info and advice!

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

If your intrested in going to school and working Full time as a cop, may I suggest seeking employment with the University Of MD police? You get a paid (credits transfer) academy and you get to go to school for free!
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Not only that UMD police officers can attend class while they are on duty. SO you not only get free school. YOu get paid for your time in the class rooms. Now thats a sweet deal right there.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBoynMD
                    My two cents are wait till you graduate from the academy. MCP is awesome, due to the permanent Day, Eves and Midnight shifts that you can choose from. So to answer your question about being with MCP and in college, absolutely. I know a Captain that is currently attending Johns Hopkins. With his current command assignment I was surprised, rather SHOCKED he even had the time. So, as the old saying goes, if you want it you'll do it.
                    Right, because our station commanders have such busy days...showing up when they want, sending messages back and forth to each other on their dept issue Crackberry, sweating beat cops about fleet car pegs, showing up on scenes and issuing orders regarding incidents they've never handled because they only spent a year in patrol before faking an injury and getting a closet job...and just generally taking up space.

LOL! Sorry, I digressed a little. I guess that's what happens when someone insinuates that a management weenie would EVER be too busy to do anything.

Comment

HaHa! Definately not trying to be that guy. I have thought and looked into the UMD College Park PD but I havent fished out a real answer that its possible to do FULL TIME school AND work PD. Im telling you, this half *** part time job sucks! Im about three seconds from going back to the Marines!

--Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5103 users online. 176 members and 4927 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                      X