300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland State Police Class 144

Class 143 has all their potential candidates going to the Academy for next month. Who else has started the process to go to Class 144?

I just finished submitting the online application and Polygraph booklet as of today.

How far are you?
    Last edited by BTripp1993; 12-17-2014, 10:31 PM.

Why not VSP?

Comment

Originally posted by BTripp1993 View Post
      Class 143 has all their potential candidates going to the Academy for next month. Who else has started the process to go to Class 144?

I just finished submitting the online application and Polygraph booklet as of today.

How far are you?
      I'm attending orientation next month. I had to reschedule from the one I had in November.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be a trooper in my home state. Unfortunately our new governor took an axe to the VSP budget and they won't see any new hires for a few years because of his policy. I live on the eastern shore right there on the border between Virginia and Maryland, so I consider both states home as I have always worked in Maryland; but live in Virginia.

Comment

I went to an October orientation in Pikesville. I'm still waiting on my date for the Polygraph exam but I probably won't hear anything until the first of the year I imagine.

Comment

Hang on tight for the ride ahead. It's a long process. Are you a military veteran?

Comment

Originally posted by jroo21 View Post
              Hang on tight for the ride ahead. It's a long process. Are you a military veteran?
              I'm a vet. Any preference or expeditious processing? Just curious.

Comment

Yes I am, and I still serve in the Reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Super_trooper View Post
                  I'm a vet. Any preference or expeditious processing? Just curious.
                  I've read there is veteran's preference. I'm not too sure how much more edge that gives you.

Comment

I've read there is veteran's preference. I'm not too sure how much more edge that gives you.
                    My understanding is that there is not veteran's preference in the traditional sense where you are awarded extra points. That being said however, prior military experience has the potential to weigh heavily when your application goes in front of the police selection committee.

In addition, you will get credit for up to 5 years of prior active duty service once you attain 10 years of service. For instance, if you have 4 years of active duty time, you will be able to retire at the 21 year mark rather than 25.

Comment

^^^^This is basically the way it goes. MSP likes veterans though it's not a prerequisite because of the para-military style of the organization. If you survived basic training, you're a step ahead of non-veterans entering the Academy.

Comment

^^^^This is basically the way it goes. MSP likes veterans though it's not a prerequisite because of the para-military style of the organization. If you survived basic training, you're a step ahead of non-veterans entering the Academy.

Basic Training was tough; yet a learning experience for me! Would love to do it again under the Maryland State Police.

Comment

Basic Training was tough; yet a learning experience for me! Would love to do it again under the Maryland State Police.
                          I've done both BCT and the MSP Academy. I can honestly say that basic training was a walk in the park compared to the academy.

Comment

I was not prior military, but I was prior police. MSP Academy put my prior experience to shame. The most eye opening and challenging 6 months you'll go through.

Comment

I was not prior military, but I was prior police. MSP Academy put my prior experience to shame. The most eye opening and challenging 6 months you'll go through.
                              How are the written test throughout the academy? Multiple choice? Fill in the blank? Scenarios where you write reports? etc?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4575 users online. 270 members and 4305 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X