Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did they say what month this class will be?

Comment

I was told the next class would be in Jan.. No date was given.

Comment

I have the oral board and background left hope i make it

Comment

Word on the street is a January 2015 class. Class 142 set to graduate end of this year.

Comment

is it required to attend an orientation for an out of state applicant?

Comment

Originally posted by emlaxstar9 View Post
              is it required to attend an orientation for an out of state applicant?
              Depends. I didn't have to specifically attend one. I was able to do the orientation portion as part of one of my processing days. Ask your recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by jroo21 View Post
                Depends. I didn't have to specifically attend one. I was able to do the orientation portion as part of one of my processing days. Ask your recruiter.
                Off topic but legit question! Why do troopers always look so serious ?
                DavC825
                Forum Member
                Last edited by DavC825; 11-09-2014, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DavC825 View Post
                  Off topic but legit question! Why do troopers always look so serious ?

It is tradition. From my understanding it grew in large part because most troopers find themselves in situation where back up is a considerable distance away. If you appear squared away and look the part the odds of someone "trying you" is less likely.

If you are joking, sloppy looking, unpressed uniform well you might find yourself a few more altercations.

Want to find yourself a desk job in MSP...just put on 40-50 lbs. I've never seen a fat trooper on the road but have seen several in the barracks.

Comment

Does anyone know how long a psy test is good for?

Comment

I spent a decade with AA Co. quite a while ago and remember that only 50% of our class (started with about 25) made it to graduation. I was wondering what the average graduation rate has been for the MSP lately -- or does it vary too much to generalize?
                      devan
                      Forum Member
                      Last edited by devan; 11-11-2014, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devan View Post
                        I spent a decade with AA Co. quite a while ago and remember that only 50% of our class (started with about 25) made it to graduation. I was wondering what the average graduation rate has been for the MSP lately -- or does it vary too much to generalize?
                        Good question. I believe the graduation rate the last several classes has been higher than 50%.

Comment

Taxevador, Also take into consideration where you want to live. If you work in and around the DC region, a base pay of 52K is not going to take you far. Plus your going to commute on your own dime in the worst traffic on the planet. Your best bet is to apply to a county PD or State Agency. If I were you, I skip the DC metro and go PG Co. Those fed jobs are not all they appear when you look at them for what they are. The best ones are going to pay you somewhere around 52-55K for entry level. You can make more then that at a county agency after OT or part time with a take home car. Standing in a hallway or in a guard post all day gets old after the novelty of being a cop wears off. Plus factor in all those days where your going to have court on your days off, and you'll be commuting to and from the courthouse in your personal car. There are perks to every agency, just not the Fed gigs that are not ,ICE, DEA, FBI, ATF or U.S. Marshals. U.S. Park police are squared away. Most of the others are just force protection or have a very specialized mission.

Comment

Originally posted by kgain673 View Post
                            Taxevador, Also take into consideration where you want to live. If you work in and around the DC region, a base pay of 52K is not going to take you far. Plus your going to commute on your own dime in the worst traffic on the planet. Your best bet is to apply to a county PD or State Agency. If I were you, I skip the DC metro and go PG Co. Those fed jobs are not all they appear when you look at them for what they are. The best ones are going to pay you somewhere around 52-55K for entry level. You can make more then that at a county agency after OT or part time with a take home car. Standing in a hallway or in a guard post all day gets old after the novelty of being a cop wears off. Plus factor in all those days where your going to have court on your days off, and you'll be commuting to and from the courthouse in your personal car. There are perks to every agency, just not the Fed gigs that are not ,ICE, DEA, FBI, ATF or U.S. Marshals. U.S. Park police are squared away. Most of the others are just force protection or have a very specialized mission.

I've already found a place to live. I know exactly what the cost of living is around here, hence why I live where I am now. I've already applied to a PG county so I am going through that process right now. I understand most of those force protection federal agencies are not what you think but it's about 99% similar to what I did Marine Corps so I have a broad generalization. I was already offered a starting salary at 55k entry.

It would be nice for someone to give me some hard numbers at what I'd be looking at for the county level or state, to include OT, etc. It's very hard to find someone who can break that down.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxevader View Post
                              It would be nice for someone to give me some hard numbers at what I'd be looking at for the county level or state, to include OT, etc. It's very hard to find someone who can break that down.
                              I feel ya. That's a tough one to gauge. Overtime opportunities are different at Barracks across the State, and the OT rates will vary greatly based on your time in service.

Comment

New to this forum but I have my poly next Wednesday......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4750 users online. 279 members and 4471 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X