Maryland State Police

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UD4LIFE View Post
    I strongly recommend being in awesome shape prior to training, don't be that guy...

Here is a 10 week program that will help, http://www.fletcforum.com/2011/03/30...tc-pt-program/
    Good link. Hardest part is maintaining what you start due to job constraints. Fortunately, my schedule allows me to run/lift on 4 days. The other days, I'm just exhausted when I get home from work.

Comment

• On a side note, I attended an orientation. waiting for ffat date and written examination date.

Comment

• Originally posted by epd21 View Post
        Good link. Hardest part is maintaining what you start due to job constraints. Fortunately, my schedule allows me to run/lift on 4 days. The other days, I'm just exhausted when I get home from work.
        What would you recommend for someone who can't go to a gym because of an unforgiving work schedule?
        I run 4 days a week, and do pushups and situps at home, I do dumbbell curls (25lb) and stretches. I definitely don't want to be "that guy"...

Comment

• Originally posted by indago1987 View Post
          What would you recommend for someone who can't go to a gym because of an unforgiving work schedule? I run 4 days a week, and do pushups and situps at home, I do dumbbell curls (25lb) and stretches. I definitely don't want to be "that guy"...
          Sounds like you are doing what you need to do. Just keep it up.

Comment

What would you recommend for someone who can't go to a gym because of an unforgiving work schedule?
            I run 4 days a week, and do pushups and situps at home, I do dumbbell curls (25lb) and stretches. I definitely don't want to be "that guy"...
            I know about the work schedule. I'm dealing with the same thing. Very little workout time, and have FFAT test Monday @ 8A. I believe I'll take the "that guy" title. Lol.

All I can do is give my best and go from there! Still a long process to get through. I don't know how they'll get through it before Jan, but the Cpl. told me there shouldn't be a problem getting into the Jan academy. (pending passing all steps).

I just learned today that you're not allowed to smoke or dip while in the academy, but when you get done you're allowed too. Even in your car if you'd like and your passenger doesn't mind. I'm thinking if I have to stop for 6 months, why start back!

Comment

How far are you running on those 4 days?

Comment

I'd do something like this:

4-5 rounds.
                2-3 min break after each round...time each round

20 air squats
                20 mountain climbers
                20 push ups
                20 sit up
                20 Burpees
                20 Jumping jacks

Comment

• Just a rant...

IMO, the oral board should be set up in a polygraph format. I know it is probably unrealistic because of nerves of potential candidates but it frustrates me to see someone put on an act to get in, ya know, "play the game." While someone who speaks the truth, falls by the wayside. In someways, it's hypocritical to answer a scenario question in a way in which the board may feel is the "correct" answer, when in all actuality, in the real life situation, one would do just the opposite if behind closed doors. And for those who say there is no right or wrong answer...well that is not true. Fact is, one may give a "wrong" answer but does that really speak more of poor ethical judgement if asked a question as civilian, rather then a trooper...there is a difference... and anyone who thinks otherwise may be fooling themselves. Is that not a compromise of integrity (honor, of high moral character and ethics). Best of luck to all.
                  Last edited by dp643; 11-03-2011, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• Someone a wee-bit upset they werent selected?

Comment

• not at all, Name Taken....but what i say is true and you are a blind woman or man if you think there aren't con-artists in the process...Name Taken, please remember when one door closes another opens...best of luck to you in all that you do.
                      Last edited by dp643; 11-03-2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by dp643 View Post
                        not at all, Name Taken....but what i say is true and you are a blind woman or man if you think there aren't con-artists in the process...Name Taken, please remember when one door closes another opens...best of luck to you in all that you do.
                        Thanks.

I does cast a poor light however when you register and make a single post complaining about how unfair a selection process is when you assumingly did not get selected.

But keep your head up...there are plenty departments....and some dont even have oral boards.

Comment

• For the record Name Taken, I wasn't complaining how "unfair" the process is...my rant was more along the lines of some applicants basically BS'ing their way thru the process when in all actuality they are just good liars (hence, it would be interesting if directed to answers via polygraph, how many would be left standing)....I'm sure you can understand what I am talking about even if you are a "system" girl/guy. If you've taken these oral boards then you know what I am talking about. Questions that an applicant knows what answer they want but in all actuality would not do what they say in a real life situation. If you knew of my situation you may see where I am coming from. Good luck with the MSP. As stated before, I wish you the best. Oh & btw, as for your single post analogy..well, everyone's gotta start somewhere...right? Didn't even know about this site til that day.

Comment

• Originally posted by dp643 View Post
                            IMO, the oral board should be set up in a polygraph format. I know it is probably unrealistic because of nerves of potential candidates but it frustrates me to see someone put on an act to get in, ya know, "play the game." While someone who speaks the truth, falls by the wayside. In someways, it's hypocritical to answer a scenario question in a way in which the board may feel is the "correct" answer, when in all actuality, in the real life situation, one would do just the opposite if behind closed doors. And for those who say there is no right or wrong answer...well that is not true. Fact is, one may give a "wrong" answer but does that really speak more of poor ethical judgement if asked a question as civilian, rather then a trooper...there is a difference... and anyone who thinks otherwise may be fooling themselves. Is that not a compromise of integrity (honor, of high moral character and ethics). Best of luck to all.
                            There is alot more involved in an oral board other than the answer given by the applicant. Obviously, anybody can "fake" it as far as answers are concerned but there is much more that the board is looking for and considering when assessing an applicant during the oral board session. Everybody gets consumed with "giving the right answer" that they forget to make sure they are 'squared away' in other areas.

Comment

• Medical Waiver Form

Guys:

Does the FFAT medical waiver form need to be signed (signature/date/witness) PRIOR to showing up for the test, or do they want you to sign it there in front of them on the morning of the test? Thanks for the help!

Comment

• Originally posted by epd21 View Post
                                Guys:

Does the FFAT medical waiver form need to be signed (signature/date/witness) PRIOR to showing up for the test, or do they want you to sign it there in front of them on the morning of the test? Thanks for the help!
                                I was instructed not to sign that i would sign in front of the trooper and the witness (the trooper) will also do so.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4092 users online. 126 members and 3966 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                                X