300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE OFFICIAL Places to Live while attending the various MD Academies Thread

The BPD thread gets many questions from people (especially out-of-staters) for decent areas to live while attending the academy. I'm guessing the other agency threads do, also. I'm hoping that we can compile a list of areas for people to reference for all of the Maryland agencies academies.

Please list your agency and the areas where new hires can find decent (safe, fairly cheap, short commute) apartments/homes. Im trying to refrain from listing specific apartment buildings since this is viewable by the general public. Instead, maybe post something along the lines of, "I found a good deal in ________ area, PM me for info".

For instance:
    Baltimore City Police Department (Annapolis PD, Balt City Sheriffs)Academy is located at 3500 W. Northern Parkway (the old Pimlico Middle School)
    Places to live in the City:
    Federal Hill
    Canton
    Fells Point
    Mount Vernon
    Highlandtown

Places outside of the city (closer to the west side of Balt Co):
    Randallstown
    Pikesville
    Towson
    Owings Mills
    Catonsville
    Last edited by jvegas; 06-06-2011, 04:09 PM.

Last edited by topgunner; 01-17-2013, 02:15 AM.

Comment

At the end of the year I will have a room available in my house to rent. It is a 1 bedroom with a walk in closet and your own full bath. I'll provide a discount to any LE, those in the academy, or those aspiring to be LE. It's located in north AA county, close to pretty much everything in central MD. If anyone is interested feel free to PM me.

Comment

Does anyone know of a good, cheap, safe place to live in Howard County that's close to the academy?

Comment

Originally posted by topgunner View Post
          Fells point is definitely not cheap, be prepared to have 4 roommates! Same goes with Fed Hill in my opinion. I lived in South baltimore so unless things have changed they are pretty expensive I believe. If you want safe/better price try to look towards Baltimore County, all the places listed there are pretty decent.
          yes, a decent place within the city is going to cost more than the equivalent in Balt Co. thats what room mates are for, though. plus, some people relocate with families and their spouse may be bringing in an income, also.

Comment

Ha Ha - Yes this is certainly true...and hopefully you're keeping up the good work by not having to put in a weekend.

Comment

Cockeysville is a great area.

Morningside heights in Owings Mills was offering a police discount awhile ago and they still might be. It was either 25 or 50% off.

Comment

Towson is central Baltimore County and any apartment that's cheap in Towson wouldn't advise you living in. Anything that's nice is going to be 1200+ for a 2 bedroom. White Marsh has some decently priced places though.

Comment

My buddy is in a 2BR/1BA apartment in Fells Point for only $850/mo + electric. Not a huge place nor is it a new place, but its got an awesome view of downtown & he can walk to a ton of bars.
                  MPD Process
                  Mass Processing Day - 10/24/15

Comment

lets leave how much we [think] an apt/house will cost in a certain area out, please. i think this thread could be a great tool and eliminate many of the same questions that get asked over and over again. instead, lets list areas that are conveniently located in regards to the different Police Academies. let the reader of this thread decide what is in he/she price range.

IMO, $1200 isnt bad for a 2 bedroom ($600 per person). i know people that came from out of state to my class and 3 people shared a 2 bed room.

i left white marsh out of the list for BPD because it is on the opposite side of the beltway and we all know that 695 can be hell, especially during peak hours.

Comment

also, if people want to list areas for their Dept, i will try to update the first post accordingly so that readers arent forced to search each post.

Comment

Hey so I have a question... You know I love you JVegas but I am curious. You want to stay away from listing specific apartment complexes and such (which I understand why) and want to refrain from listing prices to live at certain areas. So basically you just want, as you listed in your first post, cities/locations by the PD's and academies? Well, with all due respect, isn't that just google mapping the city and seeing what's around it?

I say this because I think you have come up with a very great idea. Especially because as you say, there are so many people that keep asking about living, especially in the BPD thread with all of the people coming from out of state. I just think that listing apartment places or general areas within cities is a good idea, along with pricing is helpful. I know when I was looking at Owings Mills when I was with BPD and in the academy, there were some spots in that city I would NOT want to live, and other places that were great. The same can be said for places like white marsh/middle river. My point being, there are very knowledgeable people on this board that know about those areas and can give a heads up on that. I also know from personal experience that knowing how much a place is going to be is VERY important. There were some places if I knew beforehand how expensive it was, I would have saved some time by not even going.

Maybe a suggestion because we don't want random people figuring out where people live through their recommendations, is see if there are volunteers who are willing to be contact people for specific areas.

So, for example, if I still lived in Baltimore County like when I first moved down here 3 1/2 years ago, you could put me down for Randallstown/Owings Mills/Pikesville and anyone that has a question about those areas can PM me. Whether it be a general question about the city or a question about a more specific area.

Again, I don't mean to come off like I'm raggin on your or your thread because like I said, it is a great idea and great thread that you started. I just feel the limitations you want to place on it kind of take away the point. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
                          Hey so I have a question... You know I love you JVegas but I am curious. You want to stay away from listing specific apartment complexes and such (which I understand why) and want to refrain from listing prices to live at certain areas. So basically you just want, as you listed in your first post, cities/locations by the PD's and academies? Well, with all due respect, isn't that just google mapping the city and seeing what's around it?

I say this because I think you have come up with a very great idea. Especially because as you say, there are so many people that keep asking about living, especially in the BPD thread with all of the people coming from out of state. I just think that listing apartment places or general areas within cities is a good idea, along with pricing is helpful. I know when I was looking at Owings Mills when I was with BPD and in the academy, there were some spots in that city I would NOT want to live, and other places that were great. The same can be said for places like white marsh/middle river. My point being, there are very knowledgeable people on this board that know about those areas and can give a heads up on that. I also know from personal experience that knowing how much a place is going to be is VERY important. There were some places if I knew beforehand how expensive it was, I would have saved some time by not even going.

Maybe a suggestion because we don't want random people figuring out where people live through their recommendations, is see if there are volunteers who are willing to be contact people for specific areas.

So, for example, if I still lived in Baltimore County like when I first moved down here 3 1/2 years ago, you could put me down for Randallstown/Owings Mills/Pikesville and anyone that has a question about those areas can PM me. Whether it be a general question about the city or a question about a more specific area.

Again, I don't mean to come off like I'm raggin on your or your thread because like I said, it is a great idea and great thread that you started. I just feel the limitations you want to place on it kind of take away the point. Just a suggestion.
                          read my original post. i say this exact thing in there.

here is the exact quote, "Im trying to refrain from listing specific apartment buildings since this is viewable by the general public. Instead, maybe post something along the lines of, "I found a good deal in ________ area, PM me for info".

listing general pricing is good, but people can inquire about that for themselves when they call about a place. since no area is 100% crime free, this list is more of a general guide to point people in the right direction. they are still going to have to do some leg work on their own.
                          Last edited by jvegas; 06-07-2011, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                            read my original post. i say this exact thing in there.

here is the exact quote, "Im trying to refrain from listing specific apartment buildings since this is viewable by the general public. Instead, maybe post something along the lines of, "I found a good deal in ________ area, PM me for info".

listing general pricing is good, but people can inquire about that for themselves when they call about a place. since no area is 100% crime free, this list is more of a general guide to point people in the right direction. they are still going to have to do some leg work on their own.
                            Alright my bad. I guess I just focused on with you saying don't say specific apartment names or prices, etc and it seemed to me as in you just wanted to list cities/big areas such as you did on your first post, which you will get by looking at a map. Just thought I'd try to improve upon the idea but if that's what you were going with then I shall step aside.

Comment

Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
                              Alright my bad. I guess I just focused on with you saying don't say specific apartment names or prices, etc and it seemed to me as in you just wanted to list cities/big areas such as you did on your first post, which you will get by looking at a map. Just thought I'd try to improve upon the idea but if that's what you were going with then I shall step aside.
                              well its not my show, so im not saying what can and cannot be posted. my first post was an example that im hoping current/previous hires with bmore can elaborate on. i do not personally know of exact areas within those that i posted for people to look at. im hoping that more people did what you did and say "I lived ____ while at _____academy, PM me for details", etc... the only thing i was trying to refrain from is people arguing about what another person posts or people saying that X amount of $ is too much (because money is relative). i guess my main objective is to create a post that people who are researching places to live arent forced to search a ton of pages like in the BPD thread. thats why i will post the info that others add to this thread into my first post.

just google mapping the academies isnt going to tell people with no clue which areas are "good" and which are "bad". you know that google mapping the old BPD academy would turn up areas like Latrobe Homes on Monument St, and that is no bueno, or the new BPD academy would show areas of the NWD that are bad, etc... google mapping Anne Arundel CO academy would show some parts of annapolis (bywater) that suck.

not to mention that things on google maps may look close on paper, but then "locals" know that 695 sucks all the time and that living in white marsh during the BPD academy could prove to be a PIA.
                              Last edited by jvegas; 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4016 users online. 255 members and 3761 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X