300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore City School Police

Does anyone have any info on the School Police of Baltimore City? I havent seen a thread about these guys and there isnt much info online about them.

I know they are fully sworn police officers with full jurisdiction in the city, but can anyone provide any other details about them? Thanks

I don't know too much about them except they just sent a bunch of folks though the Harford County Academy. And they're basically just security in the City schools. Unlike the School Resource Officer program run by Harford County, they don't teach in the classrooms.
    Last edited by rob80ert; 05-30-2011, 07:36 AM.
    Deus Caritas Est

Comment

School Police Authority
      The Educational Article (ED) Section 4-406 of the Annotated Code of Maryland establishes the authority from which the Baltimore City School Police Force conducts its daily operations. According to this law, Baltimore City School Police Officers have and enjoy all the powers of any peace or police officer in the State of Maryland. Furthermore, the Baltimore City School Police is the primary agency responsible for policing property owned, leased and operated and or controlled by Baltimore City Public Schools.

To better serve the School System and Community the School Police has entered into a “Concurrent Jurisdiction Agreement” with the Baltimore Police Department. Under the Agreement, in addition to our statutory jurisdiction and authority, the Baltimore Police Commissioner has given “City-Wide” Authority to enforce the law within the limits of the City of Baltimore.

School Police Divisons
      Patrol Division -

The Baltimore City School Police Force deploys patrol officers to 7 geographical areas called sectors. Police Officers are responsible for providing police services for over 180 schools, centers and offices.

Most Police Officers are school based and assigned directly to the Day School program. These uniformed officers have as their “beat” a specific school. They are responsible for patrol, case initiation, and subsequent follow-up to closure including filing with the States Attorney’s Office. Additionally, they’re encouraged to do classroom/group presentation and parent conferences as well as counsel with students.They provide leadership in establishing safety measures at the school for both day and night activities.

Criminal Investigation Division- The Detective Division initiates criminal investigations and conducts follow-up investigations on all criminal offenses ensuring cases are complete and properly prepared for prosecution.

Internal Affairs Division- Is responsible for investigating allegations of misconduct or discourtesy against members of the Department both civilian and sworn.

Night Response Unit- Primarily respond to silent burglar alarms after hours and late calls for police service weekdays and weekends.

Administrative Division- Is made up of 1 Payroll contact, 1 crime analyst, 1 receptionist, 2 security guards and 1 Police Officer.

Education and Training Section- Is responsible for maintain compliance with the Maryland Police Training Commission.

Communications Section- Is a 24-Hour 7 day(s) a week 365 days per year operation in place to dispatch calls for service to Police Officers and assist the public. This unit maintains the radio communications for the agency. In addition, obtains central complaint numbers, warrant/traffic information and essential office support.

Sector Sergeants- They provide supervision and support, review reports, transport officers as needed, monitor time and attendance, handle parent and staff complaints and generally apply assistance where needed.

Sector Corporals- Under the direction of the sector sergeant the Corporals act as assistant first line supervisors to the sector sergeants and assume command of squads when the sergeant is not present.

http://vtma.baltimorecityschools.org.../Authority.asp

Comment

Thanks for your posts. I read that stuff on there website but I guess I was looking for a insiders point of view. As far as the internals of the department. I went on a panel recently and I got alot of questions answered but then again every department thinks they are the best department. They definitely made the distinction that their primary focus was the schools but in fact they are sworn police officers.

What i can say is that they seem to get a bad rap in the LE community... but every one has there own opinion
        Any other info would greatly be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by bmore_10-4 View Post
          Thanks for your posts. I read that stuff on there website but I guess I was looking for a insiders point of view. As far as the internals of the department. I went on a panel recently and I got alot of questions answered but then again every department thinks they are the best department. They definitely made the distinction that their primary focus was the schools but in fact they are sworn police officers.

What i can say is that they seem to get a bad rap in the LE community... but every one has there own opinion
          Any other info would greatly be appreciated.
          i wouldnt do it. why deal with those kids all day? you'll be handling any calls for service that happen on school property. so if its 5pm and kids are already home and one parent decides to call 911 because their kid got beat up at 1pm in school, you'll be handling it. they also provide security at the schools during the night time hours. you will not be doing things that are not school related.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
            i wouldnt do it. why deal with those kids all day? you'll be handling any calls for service that happen on school property. so if its 5pm and kids are already home and one parent decides to call 911 because their kid got beat up at 1pm in school, you'll be handling it. they also provide security at the schools during the night time hours. you will not be doing things that are not school related.
            True. Do you have any personal experiences with these guys? They told me that they have a great relationship with you guys... Funny thing is the 3 whiteshirts all came from your agency.. They painted a picture to seemed to me as their duties extended beyond the schools and even though their primary focus was the schools they could conduct business off site.

Comment

True. Do you have any personal experiences with these guys? They told me that they have a great relationship with you guys... Funny thing is the 3 whiteshirts all came from your agency.. They painted a picture to seemed to me as their duties extended beyond the schools and even though their primary focus was the schools they could conduct business off site.
              the only business they conduct "off-site" is going to someones house to take a report for something that happened on school property. i havent had many encounters besides being dispatched a call and telling the dispatcher to forward it to school police or responding to assist a school police...seeing as they make less money and are still city employees, i'd rather be BPD. school police used to go through our academy until the Commissioner started to charge their agency to use our facilities.

technically, any cop in MD can enforce the laws out of their jurisdiction, however, most depts make it clear that they do not want you to play cowboy when you are off and out of their jurisdiction. with school police, its the same...just because you [can] make an arrest that is not related to school, dont expect the dept to back you if you screw up and get sued...which will happen during your career in the city.
              Last edited by jvegas; 06-01-2011, 01:37 PM.

Comment

the only business they conduct "off-site" is going to someones house to take a report for something that happened on school property. i havent had many encounters besides being dispatched a call and telling the dispatcher to forward it to school police or responding to assist a school police...seeing as they make less money and are still city employees, i'd rather be BPD. school police used to go through our academy until the Commissioner started to charge their agency to use our facilities.

technically, any cop in MD can enforce the laws out of their jurisdiction, however, most depts make it clear that they do not want you to play cowboy when you are off and out of their jurisdiction. with school police, its the same...just because you [can] make an arrest that is not related to school, dont expect the dept to back you if you screw up and get sued...which will happen during your career in the city.
                10-4. I appreciate your insight. How about this then... since they are police and if I were to get hired, do u think that dept would give me qualifying experience to lateral to another dept since its not "traditional" police work?

I figure some Leo experience is better than none.

Comment

10-4. I appreciate your insight. How about this then... since they are police and if I were to get hired, do u think that dept would give me qualifying experience to lateral to another dept since its not "traditional" police work?

I figure some Leo experience is better than none.
                  Apply everywhere..... it's hard enough to get hired as it is. I'm sure you will get plenty of experience with the school police.

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
                    Apply everywhere..... it's hard enough to get hired as it is. I'm sure you will get plenty of experience with the school police.
                    I feel the same way. I feel like if I get on, great you know. Nothing says I have to do my while career there.

I'm at the point now where beggars can't be choosers and I need to take the first spot that says yes and work it out from there.

Comment

I feel the same way. I feel like if I get on, great you know. Nothing says I have to do my while career there.

I'm at the point now where beggars can't be choosers and I need to take the first spot that says yes and work it out from there.
                      thats true and i was in no way saying you shouldnt apply. IMO, you'd be better off with BPD and probably have the same chance of being hired with both.

Comment

thats true and i was in no way saying you shouldnt apply. IMO, you'd be better off with BPD and probably have the same chance of being hired with both.
                        I'm sure ill figure thing out soon enough.

I'll keep you posted. Be safe

Comment

My advice. Take whoever hires you first, get your foot in the door, get in the academy. You can always continue through the other process's and take those jobs if/when you are hired. The key in maryalnd is getting in the door, getting certified. once your certified, I dont care whether its with DGS police, Health and Mental Hygeine, school police, etc.. Youll have a much easier time lateraling to another dept. then you would as a new hire. School police isnt a bad organization. I know a few people who work there. Youll get experience and youll learn the ropes. Youll be likely busier then some small municipalities in maryland. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Comment

Originally posted by CRJ200 View Post
                            My advice. Take whoever hires you first, get your foot in the door, get in the academy. You can always continue through the other process's and take those jobs if/when you are hired. The key in maryalnd is getting in the door, getting certified. once your certified, I dont care whether its with DGS police, Health and Mental Hygeine, school police, etc.. Youll have a much easier time lateraling to another dept. then you would as a new hire. School police isnt a bad organization. I know a few people who work there. Youll get experience and youll learn the ropes. Youll be likely busier then some small municipalities in maryland. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
                            Thanks for your input. That was my plan. I know they get paid significantly less than most depts, but that's not a concern for me. I plan to do exactly what you said. Just get my foot in the door and figure out the rest later.

How do your friends speak of the dept? Could you comment on their behalf?

Comment

Truth be told its a good department but like anywhere it has its issues!! I'm related to a school police retiree!!!

Cons of School Police
                              Less Pay (Its not much less)
                              School Police 30 year retirement vs BPD 25 YEAR (There fighting for 25 now)
                              Less Promotion Potential (HUGE ISSUE)
                              you can apply or a corporal position after 1 year but you will not see SGT. unless you have about 8 yrs in! ( And thats if you get it)

Pros
                              Overtime Opportunities ( They work off of the school systems budget, which since lately has been a little better, than in past administrations)
                              Corporal position~ You can apply for after 1 year
                              Equipment- There equipment is pretty nice compared to other departments in the city, (Sheriffs Office)
                              they just started getting new marked impalas.

Basically they only have 150 officers and if your not a part of the inner circle the good things will not come your way! But i can tell you this I know 4 of there officers who do very well and get the best of the best.

Its up to you I would honestly go school police first! And if you don't like it just do a lateral to the city!! But they have had people lateral all the time and they come right back!!! Not too many departments where you can luck up and work MONDAY-FRIDAY with weekends off!! BPD summer time its wild and murder rate goes up! School police no kids not too many problems!!

Don't let people fool you into thinking school police have it easy, they don't just deal with misbehaving kids. PARENTS and school system employees are the serious problem!! Custodians Stealing, Physical/Sexual Abuse of students, Death Threats Against school System Higher Ups/ I mean I cant lie I thought they really didn't do much but its really sad the things they have to deal with and the problems facing children!! Plus some of these kids are deeply disturbed and freaking crazy!!!

THE ONE THING I WOULDN'T WANT TO DEAL WITH!!!
                              School Alarms- When school alarms go off they send 1 officer at times into the building to check locks on doors, windows, and make sure no one broke in! (Crackheads break in all the time to steal computers, and what not) 2 am in the morning and going into huge school one or maybe two officers, when there could be multiple suspects, and you have no idea if there armed or not, "nah" not my cup of tea!!

I thought about them also but, BPD may be better for me!! Retirement and promotion potential is important for me!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4250 users online. 235 members and 4015 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X