300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore County and Laterals?

Couple (okay several) questions about Balto County that the website couldn't answer:

1. Do they hire laterals? If so, anyone know how the payscale works for laterals?

2. Is there pay differential? If so, how much?

3. Any room for "personalization" of uniforms, i.e. do you have to wear your gunbelt all the same, can you wear your radio mic center body vs lapels, etc.

4. How do post-lockup procedures work, i.e. do you have to transport to the commissioner, do your own finger printing, etc.

5. Whats the schedule like, i.e. 4 on 3 off, 5 on 2 off, etc.

6. Generally are there a lot of ROD's or is it a decent group of folks? How's ongoing training?

7. Weapons? I.e. shotguns vs patrol rifles? Backup guns? Are revolvers allowed as backups/off-duty guns?

Think that's it for now! Thanks!

pretty sure they dont take laterals. i have heard rumors that they are opening up lateral hiring in 2012 and that they will be looking to get a decent number of BPD guys.

Comment

Message sent.

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
        Message sent.
        Mind sending me the message message? I have the same questions. :-)

Comment

Hey, I just noticed that Baltimore County is finally accepting laterals after a very long time. I have already submitted my application and was wondering if anyone had any further information as to what they are looking for? If anyone could message me with any further information I would appreciate it. Thanks

Comment

Looking for certified officers probably best if you are from one of the larger departments in the state.

Comment

3-5 years on is the target range. (word on the street)

Comment

I would apply since I grew up there, but I am not sure if I can give up the perk of having a take-home car. I know the pay is better, but right now, with 5yrs on, I make 50k and I do not know if I want to make the jump and start at the bottom again.
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                  I would apply since I grew up there, but I am not sure if I can give up the perk of having a take-home car. I know the pay is better, but right now, with 5yrs on, I make 50k and I do not know if I want to make the jump and start at the bottom again.
                  You'll be at the bottom as far as seniority goes...but for pay? I'm not sure that you'll be losing anything there...if they give you your 5 years of pay, you'll be making more than 50. The take home car is the advantage you have though. You're not going to get that here.

Comment

Also, not sure if you went through our academy, but if you did it should make you a prime candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
                      I think our new officers out of the academy make a base pay of 50k.

Starting in patrol with OT you'll make a good bit more then 50k.

If take home car is a deal breaker...you better stay.

Comment

Aaahh.... wish they would have announced this a few months ago.... oh well.

Comment

In the lateral process considering leaving AACo........Any insight on the following questions would be great..

1. Shifts? I've heard it varies precinct to precinct....We do 6 on 3 off, which is nice.
                          2. I received a "lateral pay scale" from recruiting stating a pay step up every year for the first 7 years.....is this guaranteed? Or are there "negotiations" every year....
                          3. In AACo we have to test into POFC and CPL. It appears with Balt. Co. POFC is granted with time on and there is a CPL test?
                          4. Overtime availability? Secondary/Part time opportunities?
                          5. I have to check with recruiting, but in case anyone on here can anwser.....Will Balt. Co. take on your time towards retirement? And what is the retirement rate?
                          6. Your overall like or dislike for the dept....I realize all agencies has its good and bads....But I know the grass isn't always greener as well.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Comment

Originally posted by hopefull05 View Post
                            In the lateral process considering leaving AACo........Any insight on the following questions would be great..

1. Shifts? I've heard it varies precinct to precinct....We do 6 on 3 off, which is nice.
                            2. I received a "lateral pay scale" from recruiting stating a pay step up every year for the first 7 years.....is this guaranteed? Or are there "negotiations" every year....
                            3. In AACo we have to test into POFC and CPL. It appears with Balt. Co. POFC is granted with time on and there is a CPL test?
                            4. Overtime availability? Secondary/Part time opportunities?
                            5. I have to check with recruiting, but in case anyone on here can anwser.....Will Balt. Co. take on your time towards retirement? And what is the retirement rate?
                            6. Your overall like or dislike for the dept....I realize all agencies has its good and bads....But I know the grass isn't always greener as well.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
                            1. Varies PC to PC / Shift to shift. We do 5 on 2 off 4 on 2 off. Other shifts do 5-2-5-2-5-1 with more optional days.

2. Depends on the length of the contract.

3. POFC = Off probation. Cpl-sgt-lt-beyond = tests. No interview for Cpl though

4. Yes and Yes

5. Not sure about that. I think that's better served for someone in recruiting to answer for you. I started here so I'm not sure.

6. I love where I work. It's not too fast, not too slow. Lot of great people, some morons. Can't avoid them anywhere though.

Comment

Hamrat is on point with everything!

#5 is relative, but generally the answer is NO, but again check with recruiting.
                              #6 Consider myself fortunate, but based on what I am doing now, I am even more fortunate that I did not make my lateral move to PG Sheriff. There are issues anywhere you go, politics and red tape. With that said, personally Baltimore County to me is far more superior than say where I live in Montgomery County for various reasons including gaining a wealth of knowledge in City like street crime (Woodlawn) as an example or respond to 10-50's in Sparks, MD. It all depens on what you are looking for. Given the chance to lateral by Montgomery County if they wanted me, I wouldn't even consider it. Just my $.02

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6348 users online. 345 members and 6003 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X