300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockville City Police Department Maryland

Hi, anyone here works or know about this department can give out some details? I know they only hire 2-3 a year, any insight that they will be getting more officers? is the take-home vehicle listed under the contract? Interested in applying, planning to move to montgomery county, any input will be greatly appreciated.

I would not anticipate any expansion of the department. There is a takehome car program which allows use of the cruiser county-wide. There is no contract. The FOP negotiates with the city in a meet-and-confer status.

There are five shifts, three working day/evening rotation and two working midnights. The shifts rotate onto mids every three years or so. Day/evening is 0630-1500 and 1400-2230. Mids is 2100-0700 with one shift varying hours during an overlap night. Day/evenings work five days/two off/five evenings/three off. Midnights work a four night week.

There are a fair amount of people in "Special Operations" which is almost anything but patrol. The units include criminal investigation, traffic, street crimes, and town center.

Jurisdiction is shared with Montgomery County Police. The city runs about 70% of the calls for service in the city. Primary dispatch is through MCPD.

Issue weapon is the .40 SIG 226 and 226R. If hand size is an issue, the SIG 239 is an option. Long guns are Reminbgton 870's and a limited number of AR-15's. Officers may opt to purchase their own AR-15 or shotgun. There are a fair number of Taser X-26's and M-26's on the street.

Most officer candidates are sent to the Montgomery County Police Academy if MCPD has a recruit class scheduled.

I would look beyond starting salary and takehome car. While the starting salary is competitive, Rockville City officers fall behind most other D.C. area agencies as seniority accrues. Your county academy classmate is going to be making significantly more than you five or ten years down the line
    John from Maryland

Comment

They do only hire a few a year depending on openings. They like to hire laterals (Save some money on that training) but they do also hire non-certified people as well. Last year they hired two certified and one non-certified person. Right now staffing is full. but as far as my understanding they had a lateral process several months ago so I would assume they may already have a few people on standby for any upcoming openings that are coming and any that may pop up unexpectedly (Injuries, leave for own reasons, fired, etc).

My advice, if you want or are interested in this agency, put in an application. Do a ride-along to see if it is what you expect and you can have questions answered on what you feel is important in a Department. When you put in an application, if you are certified they will notify you when there is a lateral process. If you are not certified, they will notify you when they start that process as well.

Take home vehicles are available after you are off of your probation and live with-in Montgomery County.

Hope that answers your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by John from Maryland View Post
        I would not anticipate any expansion of the department. There is a takehome car program which allows use of the cruiser county-wide. There is no contract. The FOP negotiates with the city in a meet-and-confer status.

There are five shifts, three working day/evening rotation and two working midnights. The shifts rotate onto mids every three years or so. Day/evening is 0630-1500 and 1400-2230. Mids is 2100-0700 with one shift varying hours during an overlap night. Day/evenings work five days/two off/five evenings/three off. Midnights work a four night week.

There are a fair amount of people in "Special Operations" which is almost anything but patrol. The units include criminal investigation, traffic, street crimes, and town center.

Jurisdiction is shared with Montgomery County Police. The city runs about 70% of the calls for service in the city. Primary dispatch is through MCPD.

Issue weapon is the .40 SIG 226 and 226R. If hand size is an issue, the SIG 239 is an option. Long guns are Reminbgton 870's and a limited number of AR-15's. Officers may opt to purchase their own AR-15 or shotgun. There are a fair number of Taser X-26's and M-26's on the street.

Most officer candidates are sent to the Montgomery County Police Academy if MCPD has a recruit class scheduled.

I would look beyond starting salary and takehome car. While the starting salary is competitive, Rockville City officers fall behind most other D.C. area agencies as seniority accrues. Your county academy classmate is going to be making significantly more than you five or ten years down the line
        I knew you would reply in here and of course you beat me by a minute. Should have expected it!

+1 to his post!

Comment

I may be old, but I'm still fast.
          John from Maryland

Comment

Where's the "Like" button when you need it.

Comment

Phew thats one informative post. Thanks
              13O2 Aug '10
              List: <1000

Comment

Fast? I'll never forget the night when I seen you cuff a knucklehead. It was almost as if you put both cuffs on at the exact same time, atleast that's how it sounded.

Comment

Thanks for all the great details. What about the pay scale? pros and cons?

Comment

http://www.rockvillemd.gov/police/index.html

The pay scale is on the website under recruitment. Before you take that at face value, I'd contact Human Resources to ensure it's accurate and get a timeline on when you'd be making what salary.

On the positive side, the city is financially stable. We haven't been hit with any furloughs like our county colleagues. That said, we're not being compensated like the county and other agencies.

Understand that Rockville is a small town despite the population and the urban features. Only a few thousand residents vote in city elections.

Likewise, the agency is a small department. Small departments have limited vertical and horizontal mobility. As mentioned, jurisdiction is shared with MCPD. They have investigative responsibility for homicides, most sexual offenses, commercial robbery, auto theft, vice/intelligence, financial crimes, and fatal crashs. City detectives essentially handle the same case a district-level county investigative unit handles. Street Crimes does work drug cases, but MCPD handles the majority of major drug work. RCPD does not participate in the decentralized SWAT team.

Quality of personnel is overall pretty high.

Again, as mentioned, there is no collective bargaining agreement.
                    John from Maryland

Comment

http://www.rockvillemd.gov/police/index.html

The pay scale is on the website under recruitment. Before you take that at face value, I'd contact Human Resources to ensure it's accurate and get a timeline on when you'd be making what salary.

On the positive side, the city is financially stable. We haven't been hit with any furloughs like our county colleagues. That said, we're not being compensated like the county and other agencies.

Understand that Rockville is a small town despite the population and the urban features. Only a few thousand residents vote in city elections.

Likewise, the agency is a small department. Small departments have limited vertical and horizontal mobility. As mentioned, jurisdiction is shared with MCPD. They have investigative responsibility for homicides, most sexual offenses, commercial robbery, auto theft, vice/intelligence, financial crimes, and fatal crashs. City detectives essentially handle the same case a district-level county investigative unit handles. Street Crimes does work drug cases, but MCPD handles the majority of major drug work. RCPD does not participate in the decentralized SWAT team.

Quality of personnel is overall pretty high.

Again, as mentioned, there is no collective bargaining agreement.

copy that John.

BTW, how was the Polygraph anyone?

Please let me know if there's any info on next testing/academy class.... (i would assume there will be a study guide for the POST correct?)

Comment

Rumor has it that MCPD may be running a recruit class in July. While RCPD doesn't always send recruits to PSTA, it's the most-commonly used academy. If you're interested in applying, I'd ensure that Human Resources has your application on file. While I'd like to think things have improved in recent years, various applicants in the past have told me they never heard anything from the City.

I'm not sure what is being used for a written exam, but study guides have been sent out in the past.
                        John from Maryland

Comment

MCPD will be opening? that would be great. I applied online and been told that I will be on the waiting list, oh well. The lady from HR told me that probably the end of the year or next year IF they need 2-3, again oh well.

Thanks John for the update.

Comment

Anybody applied RCPD out there has an update? I have been waiting ever since..........

Comment

ctfops, there is a written test scheduled. If you weren't notified, I'd recommend that you contact Human Resources to see what the issue is. Numerous applicants in the past have mentioned sending in applications, never to hear from the City again.
                              John from Maryland

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4798 users online. 243 members and 4555 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X