Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maryland Transportation Authority Questions?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Transportation Authority Questions?

I'm currently certified through maryland with Baltimore City and was hoping to get someone to give me their honest opinion on the MDTA Police? I have been looking a lot lately to lateral out of Baltimore City but just unsure on what agency to go with. What are some of the benefits of the agency and I don't mean the ones they put on the flyer? How are the cars, equipment, retirement, morale, etc? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Make sure you know what you are getting into. The two departments are completely different.

I'm not knocking MdTA. I've had great experiences working with the agency and many of their officers are outstanding. I'm just trying to put the realities of the job out there the same as any BPD guy would talk to a deputy from the shore who wants to work in the city.

First off, be sure you enjoy traffic enforcement. I mean really enjoy it. I'm sure some MdTA guys could be quick to point out it's not all they do (and it's not), but the meat and potatoes of MdTA work is traffic oriented. The cars are nicer than BPD's and the equipment is more plentiful. Everyone gets a computer in their car and a PBT because you'll be using them. A lot.

They have the LEOPS pension system, which is 25 years at 50%. You can buy your time from the city if you so choose. As for morale, it's the same as anywhere else. Everyone feels underpaid, some do no work and force the productive folks to do even more. Some people come to the job just to get enough experience to move on to their dream assignment (no offense - I've done it myself). Some are riding out their last years to retirement and just putting in their time. And some of their officers are out there grinding out traffic stops, getting drunk drivers and drug users of the road, working interdiction cases and doing their part to make a difference.

Just like working for the city, it's a thankless job and your "customers" won't usually have anything nice to say about you. There are undesirable assignments and highly desirable ones. Just keep in mind the agency is smaller and there will be less opportunities to move around or move ahead.

My parting advice would be to make sure you are jumping ship for the right reasons. BPD is flawed and the city is a mess, but you're looking at trading one set of problems for another. Working for the state is nothing amazing either, but you can make the most out of wherever you work.

Good luck.

Comment

PM inbound

Comment

Originally posted by Bpdsteve View Post
        I'm currently certified through maryland with Baltimore City and was hoping to get someone to give me their honest opinion on the MDTA Police? I have been looking a lot lately to lateral out of Baltimore City but just unsure on what agency to go with. What are some of the benefits of the agency and I don't mean the ones they put on the flyer? How are the cars, equipment, retirement, morale, etc? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
        +1 to Espantoon

Not to throw him out there and hopefully he doesn't mind, but send mp1161 a pm. He is very helpful and I had a lot of communication with him when I was going to try and lateral to MdTA.

I did a ride along a year ago and it was with an Officer who retired from BPD. From him, mp1161, and a lot of other people, I have heard nothing but great things about that agency. As was noted, a big part of your duties is traffic enforcement.

How long have you been with BPD? Just know the grass is not always greener on the other side, so choosing an agency totaly depends on what you are looking for in a Law Enforcement career. I left BPD for a "better" agency. GREAT pay, awesome equipment, best training you will find.... However, I ended up being absolutely miserable for other reasons.

Like I said, send mp1161 a message and I'm sure he'll get back to you about the agency. If you are not set on MdTA and just want to leave bpd, feel free to shoot me a pm. Let me know what you are looking for in an agency, what you are looking for and to do in your career, etc. When I wanted to leave the "better" agency I left BPD for, I did A LOT of research and have pretty good knowledge about a lot of departments in Maryland and may be able to point you to someone that works for the department you may want more info in. It's up to you, but before I finally came and settled on my current department, I spent a lot of time researching based on what I wanted in an agency and career.

Good luck.

Comment

I've earned my reputation of being a jerk to citizens who come to the forum asking stupid questions. I don't mind sharing my experiences with someone who could be going down the same road MiGuy and I (not to mention many others on this board) have gone down.

I left BPD for the second offer that came along. The first offer was with MdTA, but I didn't finish processing before I got the second call. It took me over a year to realize I left for the wrong reasons. I had to figure out that the things that frustrate cops the most are the same no matter where you go.

The problems you will run everywhere:

1. Some supervisors will be unqualified to do the job of the officers they are supposed to lead. When they prove to be completely incompetent, they are transferred first and then promoted. This cycle continues until retirement.

2. Some coworkers will appear to do no actual work but will be experts at screwing up something that you are ultimately responsible for handling.

3. The court system is overburdened everywhere, and you will see your hard work evaporate in front of you as Mr. Bad Guy gets a slap on the wrist.

4. The perks of the job fluctuate between departments, and the costs of those perks aren't always obvious. See: take home cars you're responsible for vs. fleet cars that are run into the ground; having to beg and plead for overtime vs. unlimited overtime that becomes mandatory; working for a smaller agency where the entire command staff knows your name and every complaint made against you vs. working for an enormous agency where you can't get noticed unless you completely bone something; being called into court on your day off vs. being forced to schedule court for your day shifts to save on overtime costs. The list goes on and on. The point is you will be trading one set of headaches for another. And starting over with no seniority (which includes working alongside people who have less experience than you but have a lower sequence number and get first crack at overtime/vacations/etc.).

If you're really serious about leaving the agency, I'd take MiGuy's advice and seriously consider where you'd like to spend the rest of your career. I wouldn't necessarily rule out going through another academy or moving to another state. Sure, you'll have to put up with the pushups, yelling "Yes, sir!" and marching around a lot, but you'll get weekends off and take a bunch of easy tests, get paid to work out, and you'll walk in there knowing OC really isn't that bad and the 99 arm bars they teach aren't quite as useful as a stiff jab.

Maybe MdTA is exactly what you're looking for. If you decide to lateral over, I hope you'll be doing it for more reasons than just wanting to get out of your current situation.

Comment

Lol yes. You can shoot me a PM. I should be able to answer any questions you have.

Comment

Last edited by topgunner; 01-17-2013, 02:11 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6359 users online. 334 members and 6025 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X