300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Guard? Help or hurt?

Does being in the National Guard help or hurt you in terms of the hiring process?

If you get deployed while in the in academy, do they wait to deploy you until you're done?

Any veterans advice appreciated.

My advice would be to not join the guard or reserves until you are hired and off probation.

Comment

Originally posted by integral0 View Post
      Does being in the National Guard help or hurt you in terms of the hiring process?

If you get deployed while in the in academy, do they wait to deploy you until you're done?

its illegal for them to fire you if you get deployed, but at the same time, they might not hire you knowing that you just signed up. if you get deployed while in the academy you will just restart the academy when you come back. just realize that if layoffs or a hiring freeze come when you get back, you will be subject to those. either join the guard and wait alittle while to apply, or join the PD and wait to join the guard. joining the guard and then immediately applying to a PD will probably hurt more than do good. it could look like you are fickle and dont know what direction you want to take.

Comment

I am actually a member of the National Guard and JVegas comment is pretty much accurate. The army will not wait on you to finish an academy; doesn't work like that. Before a deployment there is a train-up period and you will miss significant time in an academy. Which would lead to you presumably starting over. It is also important to remember that should you get deployed, and to remained coverd under the UNIFORMED SERVICES EMPLOYMENT AND REEMPLOYMENT RIGHTS ACT (USERRA) you must be discharged under honorable conditions. A dishonorable or bad conduct discharge will nullify your rights under this act.

It can help you if you are established in the guard, meaning having been in for a couple of years, or even finished your term and be discharged under honorable conditions. Sometimes it gives you and edge and sometimes it doesn't.

Bottom line...don't join the guard until after you finish your training academy. Or vice-versa, don't be in an academy and join the guard. Like Joe said, join after you are hired and off probation.

Comment

Thanks for the advice/help. My interest is definitely Police before Guard so I'll definitely follow the advice you guys gave.

Comment

Aside from any military prefernce points, it won't help much. Prior to enlisting into the ARNG, I would recommend you have the recruiter schedule you to attend more than one drill at a local armory that is MOS specific to what you want to do. Talk to as many people as you can, ask them what they do outside of the guard, assess their appearances, interpersonal skills etc. I think after doing this you're mind should be made up fairly quickly
            Last edited by tp2165; 11-17-2010, 01:25 AM.

Comment

I'm in the GUard, I've been in over a hyear, and I applied for Frederick City. I told them about my being an SF candidate ahead of time, and I believe that is what kept me from making the final cut. I did Very Well on all the written tests and interviews, and smoked everyone in the PT test, and still didn't get picked. eventhough it IS illegal to not hire someone b/c they are in the guard, I can't prove that they based their decision on me from it, but I feel very strongly thats what it was. They asked me several times what I planned to do with SFAS. anyway, best advice is to wait till your hired, then join.

Comment

I don't have much to offer on the topic since I wasn't military before I was police, but I was in the police academy during 9/11. Two classmates were Army NG and needless to say, they were out of the class by noon. They came back about 18 months later and finished the academy. Their time of service and seniority are in place from our hire date of 6/2/01.

Comment

Originally posted by Fstbk272 View Post
                  I'm in the GUard, I've been in over a hyear, and I applied for Frederick City. I told them about my being an SF candidate ahead of time, and I believe that is what kept me from making the final cut. I did Very Well on all the written tests and interviews, and smoked everyone in the PT test, and still didn't get picked. eventhough it IS illegal to not hire someone b/c they are in the guard, I can't prove that they based their decision on me from it, but I feel very strongly thats what it was. They asked me several times what I planned to do with SFAS. anyway, best advice is to wait till your hired, then join.
                  So did you make it through SF? I was also slated for 18x but decided not to go. I actually really wanted to go through with it but I didn't like the steps towards the end that specified that after you pass all the physical/mental battle, you can still be denied entry into SF.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7904 users online. 324 members and 7580 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                  X