Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you talked to a bunch of troopers and an INSTRUCTOR for the state police and because they said so they have the hardest academy?

What agency (besides MTA police) is going to try to lure applicants in stating they have a "soft academy".

Get hired, work the streets, get exposed to different agencies, and then make comments about them. Until then you are no more qualified to comment on them then my grandmother.

Not knocking MSP but there are several HIGHLY respected agencies in this state. There isnt one "golden child" agency that out classes or out trains anyone. MPTC tells each agency what must be taught. Other then screaming a bit more or making someone run a bit longer it's hard to be the "hardest" academy in the state.

MdTA again in my mind is a highly competative agency which I personally have a good bit of respect for. If you want to answer calls for service and handle credit card fraud, identity thefts, and domestics it's probably not the place for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
      So you talked to a bunch of troopers and an INSTRUCTOR for the state police and because they said so they have the hardest academy?

What agency (besides MTA police) is going to try to lure applicants in stating they have a "soft academy".

Get hired, work the streets, get exposed to different agencies, and then make comments about them. Until then you are no more qualified to comment on them then my grandmother.

Not knocking MSP but there are several HIGHLY respected agencies in this state. There isnt one "golden child" agency that out classes or out trains anyone. MPTC tells each agency what must be taught. Other then screaming a bit more or making someone run a bit longer it's hard to be the "hardest" academy in the state.

MdTA again in my mind is a highly competative agency which I personally have a good bit of respect for. If you want to answer calls for service and handle credit card fraud, identity thefts, and domestics it's probably not the place for you.
      agree 110%

Comment

Originally posted by topgunner View Post
        This is what I have been told by multiple troopers who I personally know. They've been on a job for about 5 years so I take what they say as valid.
        So you take it as valid that MdTA is a rip off of MSP? What if an MdTA Officer who had 6 years on bashed MSP? What would be valid to you then?? I would suggest formulating your OWN opinion, but that would be kind of hard to do since you never spoke to MdTA officers.

A trooper who I'm friends with went through the application process in 2 months. Yes, 2 months. His father was a LEO, he had a 4 year degree and no criminal arrests or anything. He told me they pushed him through the process pretty fast. So, the better the record, the quicker you go through it I'm told.
        And that’s MSP. This thread is about MdTA.

Comment

A trooper who I'm friends with went through the application process in 2 months. Yes, 2 months. His father was a LEO, he had a 4 year degree and no criminal arrests or anything. He told me they pushed him through the process pretty fast. So, the better the record, the quicker you go through it I'm told.

As for academies I've attended, it's an obvious zero because I'm not a law enforcement officer. During my orientation for MSP, towards the end a former Marine stood up and told us about how he dropped out 3 months in the MSP academy. He explained how the Marines training was much easier then MSP. I talked to our TFC during the orientation about it and he agreed, it is the hardest academy around..
          Fat Chance, there is no way anyone would go through the process in two months. His father being a LEO and his degree and background being clean has nothing to do with it. Sorry, but your "friend" is blowing smoke at ya.

No offense towards the "marine" you are referring to, but if he dropped out of the MSP academy stating it was too hard, then he is not cut out for LE and either didn't make it in the Marine Corps or again, someone is blowing smoke at ya

Dropping out after 3 months, doubt it. He would oly have 3 months left of the Academy. Don't disrespect an agency that you have no clue about or you only hear from your "friends". If these are your true friends, then sit back and learn from them and watch what you say on here.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Not to keep this off-topic but I have a question that I never have seemed to understood...

Why do people get a hard-on (hopefully that's not inappropriate for the forums) for who has the HARDEST academy? Why is it never arguing for how has the BEST training?

Even then, it's all in what you are looking for. I guarantee MSP has much better traffic training than I've had in any of my training and most of the academies around Maryland since that's what they do. But, the training I received from a certain Federal agency I worked at, I guarantee is probably one of, if not the best, with shooting, tactical training, and a couple of other things (Some of you know where I worked and why I can't get too specific). But they literally pull the best of the best from these specialized military groups to top tactical people, from across the country. But I, AGAIN, went through an SFST class taught by MSP guys, and that was the best SFST training that I've had, and it most certainly wasn't the first time I had to take that training (don't ask). Baltimore City academy has great training that helps you deal with hardcore druggies. Much better than training I got in that regards to the Fed agency I was at and the local agency I'm at now. I've heard of a few agencies that have VERY good defense tactic training. Much better than what I had in Baltimore and what I"ve heard from some other academies.

So, who cares if MSP yells at you 24/7 and wakes you up in the middle of the night to PT you for 3 hrs when you are half asleep???? I've met quite a few of MdTA guys and they are most certainly squared away and VERY knowledgeable. I'm telling you right now, when I'm handling situations on the street, I'll take the knowledgeable guy over the guy that can do 100 pullups and knows how to make perfect corners while making their bed.

Nothing against MSP because I've met quite a few of them and just did a big active shooter training with a few of their guys and haven't met one that I wouldn't work along side with.

But my point being, each academy has their own strength and weaknesses. I would NOT make my decision of where I want to work based on how "hard" the academy is.

And, I apologize for my grammar and any thoughts that might bounce from here to there. I'm in the middle of a 12 day in a row stretch of work... i'm tired. My excuse and I'm sticking with it!

Be safe.

Comment

A big +1 to MiGuy.

I have encountered quite a few people (who aren't even in the field of work yet!) who for whatever reason, put down every agency but MSP. MSP is a good agency, but to say its the best, is a slap in the face to every other agency in the state. Who is to say what is a harder academy? Going home every day can be stressful as well, because you have MORE distractions to deal with. Every day, you wake up, and drive to the academy with a sick feeling in your gut, not knowing what the day holds. It takes some discipline and dedication to go from a stressful academy environment, to the comfort of home, and the next day, wake up and subject yourself to some more pain. For some people a live in is easier, for many its harder, but there are two perspectives on it.

As far as MdTA, if they pay were better or I could be guaranteed Nice bridge I would probably apply.

Comment

No matter the color of the uniform or the statement of the mission they all bleed blue when a brother falls shout out to all LEO

Specially those that have gone on ( Crystal Sheffield love you Cousin)!

Comment

Anybody going to the MDTA academy July 2017????

Comment

My brother did some of the MdTA Academy, had some personal reasons for resigning
                    Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                    Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Hey folks, I'm currently in the process for MDTA.
                      Can anyone tell what's the top salary? What's it like working for this department? Do you get to choose where you work at?

Comment

I was scheduled for the out-of-state process on the 28th, but should be receiving an offer from the GOV so I will most likely cancel. The top for like maxed out, or for a regular officer?
                        Former Police Officer (Injured LOD)
                        USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                        "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                        Emergency Services Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Anyone active in the hiring process for MdTAP? I'm going to be attending the PT/Written test in Randallstown on October 5th

Comment

Good luck to everyone taking the oral boards today. Hoping to get the call that I passed that successfully sometime soon.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8068 users online. 226 members and 7842 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X