300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Transportation Authority Police

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this Agency? I see that they have PT Tests every month, does this mean that they are always hiring? Also if so is it a very competitive agency, and how long does the process take if anyone knows?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by topgunner; 01-17-2013, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by topgunner View Post
      http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/Police/recruitment.html

Go through the rest of the site there's plenty of info.

To be completely honest the agency is sort of a rip off of Maryland State Police. They only have jurisdiction to the tolls, tunnels, and bridges.

"Transportation Authority highways and facilities throughout the State of Maryland in addition to contractual services that are provided at BWI Airport, the Port of Baltimore and the Motor Vehicle Administration Headquarters."

Not sure about how competitive, but definitely not the hardest academy to go through. Process could take up to a year, depends on your personal background. For example, if you've lived in other states they have to check out your past in those states along with employment and criminal matters. If you've lived in MD your whole life, no criminal arrests, no employment problems, it might only take you 3 months to go through the process.

Good luck to you.
      Technically they have jurisdiction on all of 95 to the DE border and once they get the ICC running, they will have that also.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I havent gone through their academy but I wouldnt try to water it down by implying it's not one of the hardest ones.

I've seen their instructors and which caught me as "odd" is there were in boot camp style drill instructor clothing...seemed pretty intense to me.

I've often thought of transfering and probably would have been happier starting there as opposed to where I am now.

Pay is going to be on the state scale so they've been screwed by the pay freeze MSP has had. No take home cars and I think that might still be in litigation.

Everyone who works there that I've encountered has been highly professional.

Comment

i went through their process and my cousin was the Commander at the Port. they run a tight ship over there. A great agency that has lots of money. they are self sufficient off of toll revenue. the take homes are still in litigation, last i heard. after graduation you can be stationed at a variety of facilities...Garrett Co, BWI, bay bridge, harbor tunnel, key bridge, McHenry tunnel, Port of Balt., etc... their academy/cadet program are militaristic. the academy is slightly longer than other agencies, due to them also being taught various DOT laws. IMO, they have the nicest uniforms and i have yet to see a sloppy looking MdTA Officer. Be prepared to do lots of traffic, unless you get BWI. If you end up at the key bridge or harbor tunnel, you will occasionally get calls into the city to back up (usually domestics and bar fights from I was told by my cousin).

a rip off of state police? how so? MdTA actually does more than MSP. they "lease" out 95 to MSP, have a marine unit, HEAT, K9, BWI, all of the toll facilities in MD, 295/395/95 going into and out of Balt City, Homeland Security contract, and im sure a boat load more. if anything, MSP is a rip off of MdTA (not trying to start a war), but MSP downsized under OMalley, while MdTA has grown alittle.
          Last edited by jvegas; 10-27-2010, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Last edited by topgunner; 01-17-2013, 03:04 AM.

Comment

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opinions/2007/92oag51.pdf

...I've actually never seen them on I-95. I've seen them for about a mile when you get out of the Fort McHenry Tunnel, but never on I-95. Always seen unmarked MSP cars and marked Maryland State Police cars. You usually won't see much past traffic enforcement on most of the tunnels, tolls, and bridges.

... MSP academy is definitely the hardest academy in MD, any trooper will tell you that...
              they always sit on 95 right where 895 merges. and any politician will tell you that they are looking out for your best interest. dont drink the koolaid.

lets see, why MdTA over MSP... not a live-in academy, with the exception of Charles County other details are closer to Balt metro area, MSP can stick you anywhere in the state. take homes should NEVER be reason to choose one over the other. its a privilege that can be taken away at any time (as MdTA officers unfortunately lost before most got em).
              Last edited by jvegas; 10-27-2010, 01:28 PM.

Comment

topgunner....

I'm curious when you went through their academy or any academy for that matter since your comment is so off base it's rediculous.
                Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

Originally posted by Future Fed View Post
                  Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this Agency? I see that they have PT Tests every month, does this mean that they are always hiring? Also if so is it a very competitive agency, and how long does the process take if anyone knows?

Thanks in advance.
                  MdTA is competitve like any other department since everyone is trying to get hired. There is an academy once a year with typically around 30 or so recruits in it. The process takes quite a while, assuming you have no disqualifying issues, expect to take a year or more in the process -- people are still getting processed who have applied in 2009.

http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/Police/recruitment.html

Go through the rest of the site there's plenty of info.

To be completely honest the agency is sort of a rip off of Maryland State Police. They only have jurisdiction to the tolls, tunnels, and bridges.

"Transportation Authority highways and facilities throughout the State of Maryland in addition to contractual services that are provided at BWI Airport, the Port of Baltimore and the Motor Vehicle Administration Headquarters."

Not sure about how competitive, but definitely not the hardest academy to go through. Process could take up to a year, depends on your personal background. For example, if you've lived in other states they have to check out your past in those states along with employment and criminal matters. If you've lived in MD your whole life, no criminal arrests, no employment problems, it might only take you 3 months to go through the process.

Good luck to you.
                  Where exactly are you getting this information? MSP has their mission and MdTA has theirs. Both are traffic oriented however there are things about MdTA which are better and some about MSP which are better. Not too sure how you can compare their academy to others…… what academy have you been in topgunner? MdTA’s academy is a paramilitary environment and remains that way throughout the whole academy. And no one has been through the process in 3 months. Would really like to know where you are getting your “facts” from.

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                  i went through their process and my cousin was the Commander at the Port. they run a tight ship over there. A great agency that has lots of money. they are self sufficient off of toll revenue. the take homes are still in litigation, last i heard. after graduation you can be stationed at a variety of facilities...Garrett Co, BWI, bay bridge, harbor tunnel, key bridge, McHenry tunnel, Port of Balt., etc... their academy/cadet program are militaristic. the academy is slightly longer than other agencies, due to them also being taught various DOT laws. IMO, they have the nicest uniforms and i have yet to see a sloppy looking MdTA Officer. Be prepared to do lots of traffic, unless you get BWI. If you end up at the key bridge or harbor tunnel, you will occasionally get calls into the city to back up (usually domestics and bar fights from I was told by my cousin).

a rip off of state police? how so? MdTA actually does more than MSP. they "lease" out 95 to MSP, have a marine unit, HEAT, K9, BWI, all of the toll facilities in MD, 295/395/95 going into and out of Balt City, Homeland Security contract, and im sure a boat load more. if anything, MSP is a rip off of MdTA (not trying to start a war), but MSP downsized under OMalley, while MdTA has grown alittle.
                  Unfortunately MdTA follows the state budget like MSP does, that toll revenue is not messed with. Don’t ask me where it goes. Also there is no facility patrolled by MdTA in Garrett County. Recruits are not taught DOT laws in the academy, not too sure why the length is longer, maybe because recruits are taught SFST’s in the academy which is a week long course. Other than that I don’t know. Most of the “full-service” calls are received by those officers who work at the Bay Bridge from Queen Anne’s County Sherrif’s Office, as there are times there are more MdTA Police than QA Deputies working.

FutureFed if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Comment

They do back up QA County and MSP quite a bit and do answer calls as you stated at the Bay Bridge as well....
                    Just shut your damn hole

Dead Souls-----They keep calling me

Comment

after graduation you can be stationed at a variety of facilities...Garrett Co

Damn, I have been working in Garrett County for a while now and I have never seen them there, lol.

MdTA does not have a Garrett County detachment. No tolls, tunnels etc in Garrett County, unless they take over the bridge that crosses Deep Creek Lake (), you will never see them this far west.

Comment

Last edited by topgunner; 01-17-2013, 03:04 AM.

Comment

. Also there is no facility patrolled by MdTA in Garrett County. Recruits are not taught DOT laws in the academy, not too sure why the length is longer, maybe because recruits are taught SFST’s in the academy which is a week long course. Other than that I don’t know. Most of the “full-service” calls are received by those officers who work at the Bay Bridge from Queen Anne’s County Sherrif’s Office, as there are times there are more MdTA Police than QA Deputies working.

FutureFed if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
                          sorry, meant charles county (hatem bridge).

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post

...Recruits are not taught DOT laws in the academy, not too sure why the length is longer,...

just what i was told at an orientation about 4 years ago...also from what my cousin told me. maybe DOT isnt right...but something to do with tractor trailers and inspection stations at the tolls... maybe they changed that?
                            Last edited by jvegas; 10-27-2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

just what i was told at an orientation about 4 years ago...also from what my cousin told me. maybe DOT isnt right...but something to do with tractor trailers and inspection stations at the tolls... maybe they changed that?
                              Could be 49 cfr which is what regulates commercial vehicle enforcement...
                              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8404 users online. 266 members and 8138 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X