300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoRavens1224 View Post
    If you are applying as a cadet, I believe your academy is very short. It is not nearly as long as the Police Academy.

It doesnt look unprofessional to send the confirmation letter in now. Just make sure you show up on time for the one that you list. Its up to you if you want to wait.

The marine unit is not a full time unit. They do sporadic checks of the bridges and assists other agencies as called for.
    Thats good to know because I can see getting out on the water everyday being kind of annoying after a while.

I know a couple NRP officers and they say they actually don't like going out on the water alot, they said its quite boring.

They get take home cars too since its a specialty unit?

"Der Schmerz ist vorübergehend, Stolz ist für immer"

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
      MTA police have sent officers through Baltimore, MdTA, MSP and a few others.
      interesting... i guess its whoever has a class open. Good to know.

Orlando, your like a wealth of knowledge. Next time I have a question, I just going to start PMing you haha.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
        MTA police have sent officers through Baltimore, MdTA, MSP and a few others.
        They have picked up a few from PG Municipal too.

And no, the Marine Unit does not get take-homes. HEAT, K-9, On-Call DRE, Detective, and CRU members and those who hold the rank of Lt. and above get take-homes.

Comment

wow, no incentive for marine unit haha.

MdTA does a lot better money wise than other dept's from what I hear because of the revenew from tolls. Why don't they get take homes for everyone? Last I thought, it had something to do with collective bargaining or something?

I'm guessing the policy is to and from work only?

Comment

Originally posted by Gotts56 View Post
            wow, no incentive for marine unit haha.

MdTA does a lot better money wise than other dept's from what I hear because of the revenew from tolls. Why don't they get take homes for everyone? Last I thought, it had something to do with collective bargaining or something?

I'm guessing the policy is to and from work only?
            I don't know the specifics of the take-home policy. I also think certain members if not all who are full-time SRT get take-homes. GoRavens should know more about that.

Marine Unit does get an incentive; they receive financial compensation quarterly since Marine operators fall under a specialized skill.

I cannot completely answer your last question because I don't really know. MdTA Police are self-sufficient on toll revenue, however the agency has to follow the state budget even though there is often a significant surplus in money. It has to do with "playing nice" with the other state agencies which I'm fairly certain O'Malley decided on.

Also, this is probably in left field, but I don't know if MdTA could consider themselves as Police Officers by MPTC definition if they don't follow the budget. It they paid themselves, then that sounds more like a private entity paying for their own security by hiring private police officers than the government (municpal, state, etc) providing security to the public with police officers. I'm probably completely wrong with that but it sounds good

Comment

haha I have to admit, that sounds pretty good.

Thanks for taking time out to help me with my questions. I really find this helpful in the future seeing how I might end up with a tonage license good for all oceans when i graduate college. I wanted to find out a lot about the marine unit of MdTA because I know not a lot of guys participate in that unit compared to others.

Comment

Got a call today to schedule my initial BI interview. I took the written/physical tests about 3 months ago.

Anyone else in the process?

Comment

Congratz man, that's awesome.

How many people applied with you and did anyone fail the written and physical with you?

Comment

Originally posted by Gotts56 View Post
                    Congratz man, that's awesome.

How many people applied with you and did anyone fail the written and physical with you?
                    There were about 80-100 people at the orientation I went to. I'd say about 10 failed the physical (most on the run). I don't know how many would have failed the written since they keep that kind of private. I did hear one person that said they failed though.

Comment

that's a lot of people, damn, I'm sure there are a lot of repeat customers though. How many are they taking for the next recruit class though.

Comment

My BI said that the max that their classes can hold is about 35. Some of those spots are taken up by other agencies sending their people through MdTAP.

Comment

wow. How often do they have recruit classes?

Comment

just an update on the MdTA application for everyone interested... I chose to wait because of past drug use.(Waiting on 3 years) and decsided to apply to be a police explorer for a local dept.

Comment

Took the written last night and passed it with 86%. The math portion was tougher then i thought. Plus after all day of work, brain cells were too dead to calculate anything. The physical is scheduled for 19th. Anyone else was there? They took many people out right before the orientation. I assume probably due to drug usage.

Comment

Originally posted by bigslimdog86 View Post
                                My BI said that the max that their classes can hold is about 35. Some of those spots are taken up by other agencies sending their people through MdTAP.
                                That is ideal, however we hurting for officers so there is more than that in the current academy class. 3 other agencies are also there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3411 users online. 200 members and 3211 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X