300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland State Police

Last edited by topgunner; 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM.

You are going to have issue with your drug use. A criminal citation just two years ago isn't going to look good either.

The state of Maryland prohibits any applicant from becoming a police officer if that have smoked marijuana more than 20 times in their life. There are other drugs that they are more strict with; even a one-time use with certain substances can permanently disqualify you from a law enforcement position.

Also, even if you didn't smoke marijuana more than 20 times, you also need to have not used any drug at least 3 years prior to your application date. Even then, I don't know of an agency that will hire you unless it has been 5 years since your last drug use.

My advice to you would be to finish your education and see what your chances are. I wouldn't hold your breath on a career in law enforcement. Can't speak for the other states you are looking into, but in Maryland it would be impossible for you to be a cop as of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
      You are going to have issue with your drug use. A criminal citation just two years ago isn't going to look good either.

The state of Maryland prohibits any applicant from becoming a police officer if that have smoked marijuana more than 20 times in their life. There are other drugs that they are more strict with; even a one-time use with certain substances can permanently disqualify you from a law enforcement position.

Also, even if you didn't smoke marijuana more than 20 times, you also need to have not used any drug at least 3 years prior to your application date. Even then, I don't know of an agency that will hire you unless it has been 5 years since your last drug use.

My advice to you would be to finish your education and see what your chances are. I wouldn't hold your breath on a career in law enforcement. Can't speak for the other states you are looking into, but in Maryland it would be impossible for you to be a cop as of right now.

Don't forget he did say he's not even going to APPLY for another 2 years. On top of the processes taking 6 mos to a year, I think he'll be fine. Just keep your nose clean from there and the more you add on for your resume the more it will outweigh the negative. Volunteer, participate in stuff. If it interests you at all, I joined a Volunteer/Paid on-call FD to get some public safety experience along with some great training that really makes you marketable.

As far as your question of the difference between State Police and Highway Patorl is... TYPICALLY, Highway Patrol is almost 100% highway-related duties. Traffic, crashes, etc. Where as State Police also takes on the more traditional Police Roles, particularly in areas that have little to no local police. An example, is FHP. Them responding to a domestic abuse or a burglary is VERY rare. On the other side, Michigan state police (I'm more familiar with them) does A LOT of traffic, but there are also a lot of areas where they are the primary police and respond to everything from theft to rape to burglary. My buddy that retired from Connecticut State Police said it was the same for them as a State Police agency as opposed to Highway Patrol.

Hope that jumbled mess of a message clarified it somewhat for you. If not, I have a book from when I was going through the process for FHP when I was 19 and probably better explains the difference if what I said doesn't make sense.

Goodluck and you'll be fine in a couple years to apply.

Comment

Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
        I think he'll be fine.
        Originally posted by topgunner
        and the only drugs I have done is marijuana about 20-25 times in my life.
        Originally posted by MPTC General Regulations

C. Prohibitions – Initial Certification. An individual is ineligible for initial certification as a police officer in Maryland if the individual has:

(3) Used marijuana:
        (a) More than 20 times; or
        (b) Five times since becoming 21 years old.

MiGuy I respectfully disagree.

topgunner: if and when you do decide to apply, background investigators are going to ask you to pick a number. 20-25 will not suffice. Now as you see here, more than 20 times will result in you not being eligible for employment. You need to be completely honest and candid because every thing is verified through a thorough background investigation and the polygraph examination. If you know you smoked marijuana more than 20 times then I would look outside of the state of Maryland for LE employment. Regardless you will have an uphill battle no matter where you apply. Not trying to shatter any dreams; just giving you an understanding of the challenge you will have entering this career field.
        Last edited by mp1161; 10-14-2009, 09:05 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=topgunner;2021872]Hello, I am 20 years old... ..I have not done any drugs for a year and a half now and the only drugs I have done is marijuana about 20-25 times in my life. QUOTE]

How many times per year?
          How many drinks per week, month, year?
          If you've stopped, are you still around friends that do indulge?
          These types of questions will be asked, both on paper, with you signing, prior to your fitness/written entry exam test, initial BI interview, then again for your polygraph (at least twice). Maybe someone else reading this thread would know if 3 times = experimentation, and if 20 or more = something else (at least that's what two BI's told me)

Comment

Originally posted by mp1161 View Post
            MiGuy I respectfully disagree.

topgunner: if and when you do decide to apply, background investigators are going to ask you to pick a number. 20-25 will not suffice. Now as you see here, more than 20 times will result in you not being eligible for employment. You need to be completely honest and candid because every thing is verified through a thorough background investigation and the polygraph examination. If you know you smoked marijuana more than 20 times then I would look outside of the state of Maryland for LE employment. Regardless you will have an uphill battle no matter where you apply. Not trying to shatter any dreams; just giving you an understanding of the challenge you will have entering this career field.
            --You must have faster Verizon FiOS than I do! good answer!

Comment

If you think 20 times or more of marijuana use he is done for.. You definitely don't know the many many Maryland Officer's in different departments that I do. With a lot less time that will be put behind him by time he applies. But, I respectfully accept your point of views. It may not be easy, but assuming what he says is the truth and knowing what I know, in 2 years time, I would put those apps in... You might be surprised!

Either way good luck. You may not get hired.. You may. The only way you will find out is to apply and see! Like I said, just start volunteering and making yourself look more marketable and good luck. It's the best job! But keep in mind, State Police agencies in general are usually stricter on their hiring standards, so you may have to go for local. At least get your foot in the door.

Comment

Last edited by topgunner; 01-14-2013, 02:53 PM.

Comment

\//////////////////////
                  Last edited by ri1980sp; 05-10-2010, 10:32 PM. Reason: z

Comment

Originally posted by MiGuy View Post
                    If you think 20 times or more of marijuana use he is done for.. You definitely don't know the many many Maryland Officer's in different departments that I do.

Did they put that down on their BG packets when they applied?

You're right, I don't know too many (or any for that matter) officers who exceed that usage. I just know of the hiring regulations, and what departments are suppose to adhear by when hiring applicants.

topgunner: MiGuy gives good advice. Volunteer, do an internship, etc, etc. Make yourself as marketable as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by topgunner View Post
                      Thanks for your replies. I haven't done any drugs for a year and a half and plan on applying 3 years after I graduate meaning I will be clean for 4 and a half years at that point. I also plan on having the charge expunged from my record some time in the near future. As far as how many times per year, I'd have to say 4 since I first tried it. I have a cousin who works for Baltimore PD on a warrant task force unit and he told me as you all have told me, it is always an uphill battle on getting hired. I do plan to volunteer for local police agencies over the summer as well. Any other input on what I should do is appreciated.
                      You are missing the clue here. Do you know what it is? It's the numbr of times you "think" you smoked pot! Do some simple math here and it seems that you started with pot when you were 13-14, I mean since you are 20 now and say you stopped about a 1 1/2 ago? And why apply 3 years after you get out of college, what are you going to do after you grad?

You can do all the vol. work you want, but MPTC has their Standards. And even some agencies do have some type of vol. program still runs backgrounds and asks questions. Even if you "expunge" your record, you will still have to disclose it.

Anyway, good luck.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Last edited by topgunner; 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by topgunner View Post
                          Maybe I smoked less then 20-25 times honestly I have forgotten. Most of those times that I had smoked were my freshman to sophomore year in High School. I plan to work and do volunteer work for a year after I graduate so I can have some more time in between the last time I used drugs. As far as disclosing my criminal offense for trespassing I'm not too concerned since it wasn't a serious criminal offense. Again thank you very much for your information.

Yeahh I think it was 19-15 times now haha.
                          Already you seem to have an integrity issue and that does not fly in Law Enforcement. You have already disclosed the amount of times you "think" you smoked pot and now have changed your answers. If you think this is a game, go right ahead, but I will say this, good luck getting hired. And as I stated before, go ahead and volunteer, if an agency allows you to, but again, this will do nothing for you as far as your drug usage. Why wait until you grad. to do the vol. work, why not just go ahead and vol. now?
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Last edited by topgunner; 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Yes. Im sensing an integrity issue here as well.. However.. I am in the process for the MSP and what I was told by the recruiter at orientation (not a reflection of me, having done that exactly 4 times in my life) was that doing it 20 times in one day only counts as 1 time. So was this done 20 times in a scattering of days which would count only as that scattered amount of days, or 20 seperate days?
                              Last edited by gallentaylor; 08-09-2013, 11:01 AM. Reason: missed a coma

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3318 users online. 246 members and 3072 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X