300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carroll County Sheriff's Office

Did anyone recently get a letter from them for testing?

Been there, done that... I dropped out of the process after I did a ride along with them. Morale is low and... well... just do a ride along with them and see if you're still interested.
    University of Maryland Police (round 2)
    Applied 5/14/10
    Written & Physical agility test 4/19/11 (Passed)
    Personal history statement (turned in 4/28/11)
    Oral Board 6/10/11 (Completed)
    Polygraph 6/21/11 (Completed)
    Background investigator home visit 7/12/11

Comment

Morale can be a bit low depending on who you talk to, especially since the whole county police and retirement thing constantly lingers. On the other hand, I did a ride a long with them on a friday night, during high school football season, and it was a blast. Let's go there Key!

Comment

I think morale is low just because they are in limbo with EVERYTHING regarding their pay, retirement, and duties down the road.

Probably not a bad agency to be a part of but I'd honestly wait until it's decided what they are going to be before applying. No use in applying thinking you'll be a full service patrol deputy and in a year be stuck guarding court houses.

Comment

The retirement issue has been resolved. Standard 25 years at 50%.

The issue of being the primary agency in the county is still up in the air. Deputies handle all of the same calls that MSP does, with the difference being MSP handling a higher percentage than CCSO. Either way in a few years we'll end up being the primary law enforcement agency or the first county police officers. No one hired as a patrol deputy ends up in the courthouse or jail.

As far as hiring goes at the moment, I wouldn't suggest anyone get their hopes up. As far as I know, there are no vacant positions and no expected vacancies. Probably just testing for an eligibility list...

Comment

I thought, and could be wrong, that if they go with a County agency that there was nothing saying you guys had first dibs in the spots. Sure they'd probably almost need some of you but I heard that you'd swing to a more conventional Maryland S/O and become security/courts type of things.

Again I could be off base.

I talked to a trooper recently who made it sound like they were taking over your guys warrant services or something...didnt really grasp what they were saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
              Sure they'd probably almost need some of you but I heard that you'd swing to a more conventional Maryland S/O and become security/courts type of things.
              The "conventional" Sheriff's Offices in Maryland are actually full service. Way more SO are full service then the are non full service. There are 23 counties plus Baltimore City in Maryland and only 5 counties plus Baltimore City have SO that are not full service. People who live in the metro region get used to the idea that SO are not full service when in fact it is more common that they are full service then not.

Comment

Originally posted by 1811Hopeful1 View Post
                The "conventional" Sheriff's Offices in Maryland are actually full service. Way more SO are full service then the are non full service. There are 23 counties plus Baltimore City in Maryland and only 5 counties plus Baltimore City have SO that are not full service. People who live in the metro region get used to the idea that SO are not full service when in fact it is more common that they are full service then not.
                Point taken.

None the less...in what I'd call the "main" jurisdictions in the Baltimore area (arguably heart of the state) they are not full service. So while there may be plenty full service ones....the ones that most come in contact with in my area arent.

Besides Carroll County I cant think of any close to Baltimore that are...Maybe Harford County? But I'm not sure.

Comment

Howard County isn't a "full service" sheriff, I believe. Could be wrong on that.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbfan View Post
                    Either way in a few years we'll end up being the primary law enforcement agency or the first county police officers. No one hired as a patrol deputy ends up in the courthouse or jail.
                    Probably more vacancies then you think since one recently left for a local agency.

Anyway, Not sure when you started with CCSO, but ever since the Sheriff took over, which has been approx 10 yrs he has been trying to take over as the main LE agency in the County. Yeah 10 yrs and if you think a few more yrs it will or may happen...hmmm.

Also, many of the deputies on the courthouse came from patrol, especially when they went full service. Either way, As mentioned morale is low as it was when I was attempting to enjoy my stint there. All but 2 from my shift have left for other agencies, mainly b-more co or Federal Gigs, and then a few went to local agencies. Either way, the pay sucks and the 50%...time to shop around.

CCSO has always been a place for retired LEO's to make an extra paycheck and will continue to be.
                    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
                      Besides Carroll County I cant think of any close to Baltimore that are...Maybe Harford County? But I'm not sure.
                      That's right... Harford County is the largest full service Sheriff's Office in the State.
                      Deus Caritas Est

Comment

Originally posted by hawk46 View Post
                        Howard County isn't a "full service" sheriff, I believe. Could be wrong on that.
                        correct, the regular operations are taken care of by Howard County Police
                        Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God (Matthew 5:9)

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                          Probably more vacancies then you think since one recently left for a local agency.

Anyway, Not sure when you started with CCSO, but ever since the Sheriff took over, which has been approx 10 yrs he has been trying to take over as the main LE agency in the County. Yeah 10 yrs and if you think a few more yrs it will or may happen...hmmm.

Also, many of the deputies on the courthouse came from patrol, especially when they went full service. Either way, As mentioned morale is low as it was when I was attempting to enjoy my stint there. All but 2 from my shift have left for other agencies, mainly b-more co or Federal Gigs, and then a few went to local agencies. Either way, the pay sucks and the 50%...time to shop around.

CCSO has always been a place for retired LEO's to make an extra paycheck and will continue to be.
                          The Deputies in the courhouse are there by choice. No one hired for the road gets stuck in the courthouse unless they request to be there.

Not sure when you worked there but it must have been many years ago since you are so off base. The retirement is comparable to other agencies in the area and LEOPS.

CCSO hasn't hired a patrol Deputy retiree for several years.

Comment

And how am I off base? I never said the deputies in the courthouse were mandated to go there. All I recallI typed was "many of the deputies in the courthouse came from patrol", in which they did. I have no idea, nor do I care who they have hired lately, whether they be retired LEO's or not. However since you work there, go around and as about who came from B-more city or Co PD's.

The retirement is no where near what b-more or Howard PD is.

And yes it's been a few yrs since I left CCSO, never looked back as several of us have
                            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2737 users online. 191 members and 2546 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X