300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltimore PD Patch

I will be heading into the City next week Friday and I was if anyone here would be interested in trading patches. If not where can I buy one.

Thank you.
    We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

I have a couple of them... I'm not BPD tho so I wouldn't trade/sell them...

I suggest doing what I did, Find a cop in the inner harbor area, ask them if they have any spare patches and tell them you will trade with them. Better chance in the inner harbor area because of the tourist attractions.

"Der Schmerz ist vorübergehend, Stolz ist für immer"

Comment

Originally posted by Gotts56 View Post
      I have a couple of them... I'm not BPD tho so I wouldn't trade/sell them...
      Be sure to put all those into your backround packets as you apply...it's a crime and the department should know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
        Be sure to put all those into your backround packets as you apply...it's a crime and the department should know about it.
        how is it a crime to own a patch? just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
          how is it a crime to own a patch? just curious.
          Beyond the simple idea that it's a theft unless you personally had it made and bought it.....It's also under impersonatating a police officer. You can not possess any symbols or shoulder patches of a police department.

Of course if you are a member of the department you are fine.

It's in the digest on page 112 or around there as my handiest edition is a 2007 issue.
          Last edited by Name Taken; 09-14-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Beyond the simple idea that it's a theft unless you personally had it made and bought it.....It's also under impersonatating a police officer. You can not possess any symbols or shoulder patches of a police department.

It's in the digest on page 112 or around there as my handiest edition is a 2007 issue.
            i have not read the digest on that, but i thought it depends on how you used the patch, for instance intentionally trying to portray yourself as police, or just having a patch as part of a collection.

im guessing he probably was given one of the patches that we can get for free from the QM that are old throw-aways.
            Last edited by jvegas; 09-14-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

§ 3-502.
              (a) In this section, "police officer" means a member of:

(1) a police force of this State or another state;

(2) a police force of a county or municipal corporation of this State or another state;

(3) the United States Secret Service Uniformed Division;

(4) the United States Park Police;

(5) the Federal Bureau of Investigation;

(6) the Drug Enforcement Administration; or

(7) a division of a federal agency the primary duties of which are the investigation, apprehension, or detention of individuals suspected or convicted of federal crimes.

(b) A person may not, with fraudulent design on person or property, falsely represent that the person is a police officer, special police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or constable.

(c) Except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, a person may not have, use, wear, or display a uniform, shield, button, ornament, badge, identification, or shoulder patch adopted by the Department of State Police to be worn by its members, insignia, or emblem of office, as is worn by a police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or constable.

(d) A person may not, for the purpose of deception, have a simulation or imitation of an article described in subsection (c) of this section as is worn by a police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or constable.

(e) A person may have, use, wear, or display an article described in subsection (c) of this section with the appropriate authority of:

(1) the Secretary of State Police;

(2) a police force of another state;

(3) the Police Commissioner of Baltimore City;

(4) the chief of police of a county or municipal corporation of this State or another state;

(5) a sheriff or deputy sheriff;

(6) a constable;

(7) the United States Secret Service Uniformed Division;

(8) the United States Park Police;

(9) the Federal Bureau of Investigation;

(10) the Drug Enforcement Administration; or

(11) a division of a federal agency the primary duties of which are the investigation, apprehension, or detention of individuals suspected or convicted of federal crimes.

(f) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 2 years or a fine not exceeding $2,000 or both.

Im sure you would know better than me but MY understanding of this is you can have it but you can it use it in a manner that an LEO would. Just having it in your possession ,say in your pocket, is not IAPO. There is more to it to charge for that code.

How is it a theft?
              http://law.justia.com/maryland/codes/gcr/7-104.html
              Last edited by nasa808; 09-14-2009, 06:37 PM.
              We ride for those who died!

RIP SgtCHP!

Comment

A person may not have, use, wear....

That sums it up. Doesnt matter if you use it ironed on the uniform or keep one on your dash as a get out of jail symbol. It's illegal as I've taken several from "my buddies in the academy" and all have been fine. These were just put on the dash of a car...not sewn onto a uniform.

It could be a theft as many of them are taking off of uniform shirts which have been torn. Sure you can buy your own I'm sure but what are the odds that actually happens. I know when I get my uniform they have the Dept patch on them...they are obviously property of the department still. If they were issued by the dept. it's obviously a theft as it's still that departments property.

Of course if you are actually a LEO in any state who's going to push the issue? The idea is in MD it's still illegal to have the patch doesnt matter how you use it, if you arent a police officer.
                Last edited by Name Taken; 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Well seeing that I bought some of my patches from stores, got some from my neighbor(Who is Police), and trade with my cousins who are police and fire... I rele don't think its a crime at all. Depends on the deptartmental policy i believe. Some depts won't trade with civilians and some will, I went right up to the Key West Police Station and had a officer come down and meet with me and I traded him an Anne Arundel County Patch... so i really don't see the direct connection. If the Police Dept trades with me, then how is it a crime?

I also have diecast police cars from Anne Arundel and others... is that a crime too? haha. In all seriousness though, I'm just a police entuiest(Not sure how to spell that word). I'm underage so I'm not a wannabe guys too, for all you guys that will bring that stuff up.

They all stay locked up in my fireproof lock box and I never take them out. I do not display a single one.

The only thing I could see being a problem is that I have an Anne Arundel County Police badge patch for tact teams and special operations. I might have to disclose that one.
                  Last edited by Gotts56; 09-15-2009, 09:01 PM.

"Der Schmerz ist vorübergehend, Stolz ist für immer"

Comment

Did you read what was posted.

I'll break it down for you. Unless you had the patch made or bought it from a place who made it it's a stolen police item. If your brother's cousin aunt is a police officer and gave it to you odds are it's off a uniform shirt which means the patch is property of that department. Very few people go out and have their own patches made.

And the mere fact you have it (locked up in a box or not) still doesnt make it legal. Read the crime...it's posted you cant have, use, or wear.

If you keep some weed under your bed does it make it legal?

Comment

as is worn by a police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or constable.

this makes me think that its ok to have the patch as long as you arent wearing it or displaying it in the same manner as a member of the dept, i.e... on your shirt. plenty of people buy and wear baseball hats with police logos. in my understanding of the law, its not until that person wears that item with the intent to portray themselves as police is it a crime.

Comment

A Baltimore City detective gave BPD patches to everyone at my wife's career day fair last school year. I suppose the detective, the principal, the entire staff, the kids and myself should all be arrested for taking patches that were passed out by a police officer? I suppose now we should all turn ourselves in.

Comment

Originally posted by bmore85 View Post
                          A Baltimore City detective gave BPD patches to everyone at my wife's career day fair last school year. I suppose the detective, the principal, the entire staff, the kids and myself should all be arrested for taking patches that were passed out by a police officer? I suppose now we should all turn ourselves in.
                          I'm giving a know it all would be cop a hard time.

Police department logo's and the actual patch taken off of a uniform are two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by jvegas View Post
                            as is worn by a police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, or constable.

this makes me think that its ok to have the patch as long as you arent wearing it or displaying it in the same manner as a member of the dept, i.e... on your shirt. plenty of people buy and wear baseball hats with police logos. in my understanding of the law, its not until that person wears that item with the intent to portray themselves as police is it a crime.

I can see your point. I'd gladly take a patch and get a summons for someone with one of their dash who is not an officer through.

Comment

I can see your point. I'd gladly take a patch and get a summons for someone with one of their dash who is not an officer through.
                              to me, having the patch on your dash tips the scale to trying to portray yourself as police, whereas, having the patch in your bedroom does not.

who knows.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5753 users online. 342 members and 5411 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X